News North's recruiting team resigns en masse

Remove this Banner Ad

Horne-francis flying home without telling the club and putting contract talks on hold, players and coaches leaking discontent around nobles behavior, the recruiting team resigning a week before a draft

North supporters:
Naked Gun Panic GIF

There's no hiding that our club is facing a lot of challenges, but you've both got it wrong about what has happened here.

Finnigan and Birthisel have been in constant contact with the club about their amicable departures from the club over the course of weeks.

Its just that the news of their departures was only confirmed yesterday when Luff had some kind of tantrum and left.
Rawlings can try and spin it any way he likes, the fact that 3 of them leave from that recruiting/list management space a week before the MSD where North potentially have pick 1 in that MSD, and half way through the year before a key draft/trade period where North Melbourne will again potentially hold pick 1, is an absolute disaster for the rebuild.

This is not the stable environment that drives success or makes players want to stay or play for the club.

Rawlings can try and spin it any way he likes, the fact that 3 of them leave from that recruiting/list management space a week before the MSD where North potentially have pick 1 in that MSD, and half way through the year before a key draft/trade period where North Melbourne will again potentially hold pick 1, is an absolute disaster for the rebuild.
You say its an absolute disaster, I'd say its one of the better times of year that they left.

All the hard work building lists for the MSD has been done by this stage.

I reckon 20 years at Champion Data counts as a footy background too. Especially for a list managers job which is about allocating resources based on a coach and a recruiters needs. Analytics has worked in all the major sports, it's a big naïve to suggest someone from that kind of background couldn't succeed.

Luffy watched Moneyball too many times. As it turns out, undersized KPDs and fat 5-foot-nothing plodders aren't the makings of a premiership team lol

Luffy watched Moneyball too many times. As it turns out, undersized KPDs and fat 5-foot-nothing plodders aren't the makings of a premiership team lol
Playing Kyron Hayden (an already VFL standard player) as a KPD against McDonald last week really just says it all

Some bigfooty randos could assemble and draft our list better in the past 24 months than what we had tbh.

I reckon 20 years at Champion Data counts as a footy background too. Especially for a list managers job which is about allocating resources based on a coach and a recruiters needs. Analytics has worked in all the major sports, it's a big naïve to suggest someone from that kind of background couldn't succeed.
arent champion data the mob who rate cox and finlayson as elite key forwards?

sounds like they know what theyre doing......

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sounds like someone called out these recruiters for not drafting a single key defender on the list. I mean their backline mix is diabolical right now, forcing Noble to play undersized 185cm players on key forwards each week.

Why would/should/could these recruiters stay at the club?

Is it Champion Data those guys who do that elite list, and said North Melbourne had as many elite players as GWS?

Every year bigfooty unites to point and laugh at their rating system and North Melbourne went and employed that guy, that's really sad actually.

Edit: OMG that list really is shocking innit.

Is it Champion Data those guys who do that elite list, and said North Melbourne had as many elite players as GWS?

Every year bigfooty unites to point and laugh at their rating system and North Melbourne went and employed that guy, that's really sad actually.

Edit: OMG that list really is shocking innit.

Champion Data capture stats for the AFL

Capturing stats and interpreting them are very, very different things.

While I agree, I have no idea what point you're making. Champion Data do capture stats for the AFL, as well as provide some level of analytics.

Sounds like someone called out these recruiters for not drafting a single key defender on the list. I mean their backline mix is diabolical right now, forcing Noble to play undersized 185cm players on key forwards each week.

Why would/should/could these recruiters stay at the club?
McKay (198), Walker (196), Corr (194), Goater (190), Bonar (189), Young (189), McDonald (189), Ziebell (188)… You’d like one more 195cm back up but I don’t really see the defensive height as a huge issue.

Ziebell’s had to go forward but as long as they have 2 of the big 3 and a medium options they won’t be tiny.

From what I saw Hayden primarily played on Fritsch and was fine. He got caught on McDonald after one of their many butchered turnovers.

A far bigger issue is they don’t run and they don’t take the game on. They either panic bomb to an outnumber or out bodied contest and lose it or they chip chip chip the ball until they turn it over, which doesn’t take long as their skills are dreadful - not as much individually but as a team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back