NORWOOD EXPANSION

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks for the information I seem to remember hearing something about a joint Norwood/Glenelg or Stuart bid at some point as well I could be wrong
That was in 1996 for the second license.

Port Adelaide successfully won the tender over bids from a Norwood-Sturt merger proposal and the “Cartel” bid made up of Woodville-West Torrens, West Adelaide, North Adelaide and Central District, with an independently-appointed SANFL commission backing the club because of its detailed proposal and significant on-field success.

Of course you would think that way.

It wont happen.

I've always respected norwood for their achievements

two traditional clubs would have been a better result for SA footy and in sincerity, this position is not a knock against the crows despite the jest

You can't say that with such certainty and then proceed to say that Darwin is next in line.

Anyone who thinks a Darwin AFL team will work has no idea and has likely never really been there. The place is tiny.
Alice would be my pick for NT.
Would require an endless pit of money and allowances and support....but it'd be a great addition to the league.

Oh boy, this is what the AFL needs is another team with similar identity and colours to an existing team. I for one would welcome Subiaco Lions as WA3, Ainslie Tricolours for Canberra’s team and Launceston Blues for the Tassie franchise
Why do we get so caught up in the team colours. They manage this perfectly well in the UK premier League.

Nottingham Forest and Arsenel both play in the same red top and both known as the reds

If 'Football Justice's existed, Norwood would have joined with Port, the Crows wouldn't exist, and St Kilda, North Melbourne, Western Bulldogs wouldn't be anywhere near a national league

Norwood has replied now:

“It’s just an annoying rumour,’’ Redlegs chief executive James Fantasia told News Corp.
“There has certainly been no consortiums or discussions of anything of that nature. There is absolutely no substance there, 100 per cent there isn’t."

Putin said "we won't invade Ukraine" only to do exactly that

I see through Norwood's response

If 'Football Justice's existed, Norwood would have joined with Port, the Crows wouldn't exist, and St Kilda, North Melbourne, Western Bulldogs wouldn't be anywhere near a national league

That makes no sense whatsoever.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

30 clubs is too many, ideal size is 14-16.

If it's expansion they want then conference or split 1st/2nd league needs to be on the agenda

my punt is they will shoot for 24 teams and two divisions, resulting in a 22 game season and the top 6 from each division going through to the finals

canberra
tassie
NT
NZ
WA3 (bunbury busselton)
Newcastle

to be added in time (30 years)

my punt is they will shoot for 24 teams and two divisions, resulting in a 22 game season and the top 6 from each division going through to the finals

canberra
tassie
NT
NZ
WA3 (bunbury busselton)
Newcastle

to be added in time (30 years)
Agreed on 24 teams but I think it’ll be a single tier league with a top 12 and everyone playing each other once.

I think NQ will get a team instead of WA3, and that there’ll be a third Sydney team that plays games in Newcastle and perhaps Central Coast. The Giants I think will play one or two in Wollongong, moving on from Canberra.

Putin said "we won't invade Ukraine" only to do exactly that

I see through Norwood's response
That makes no sense though....if Norwood really did have AFL aspirations, you couldn't pick a better time to announce it given its about to host an AFL game. Might never host another one.

That makes no sense though....if Norwood really did have AFL aspirations, you couldn't pick a better time to announce it given its about to host an AFL game. Might never host another one.
I think he was joking.

Anyway, if the AFL choose heartland, there’s no way SA3 gets in before WA3.

I really think they should focus on new markets first before adding third interstate teams anywhere.

From someone on the Norwood board - there is truth to this

Anyway, if the AFL choose heartland, there’s no way SA3 gets in before WA3.

I really think they should focus on new markets first before adding third interstate teams anywhere.
Agree that new markets should be a priority before established markets, but AFL may want an established club as team 20 given that they are already supporting some clubs in Victoria and the new markets. If so WA3 will be the obvious choice over SA3 , given the demographics, economy and future trends. Already WA has about 1 million more people than SA (approx 2.8 million to 1.8 million) and that gap will only grow.

Agree that new markets should be a priority before established markets, but AFL may want an established club as team 20 given that they are already supporting some clubs in Victoria and the new markets. If so WA3 will be the obvious choice over SA3 , given the demographics, economy and future trends. Already WA has about 1 million more people than SA (approx 2.8 million to 1.8 million) and that gap will only grow.
If that’s the case they should just stay with 19 teams until the AFL no longer has to support as many clubs as they do.

Get the Giants off the Canberra train. If by 2033 we still have too many feeder clubs then Canberra could perhaps come in later, say 2035 or even the end of the 2030s. Surely the financial problems of some of the existing clubs will improve in 15 years.

Serious questions would have to be asked if there’s no improvement from the clubs dependent on AFL handouts. I don’t think any of the existing clubs would or should fold but surely there’d be lucrative offers in place to get mergers or relocations happening.

I still think there’ll always be a Western Sydney club and a Gold Coast club though, the AFL will never exit those markets, just like they never took a team out of Brisbane.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back