2nds Norwood vs Port Adelaide - Round 1 @ The Parade

Remove this Banner Ad

Cue Matthew Lokan to tell us how many positives there were.

Good depth they said, awful result.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yeah, I think our depth is reliant on Lienert, McKenzie, Farrell, Woodcock, Mayes playing well enough in a team where the AFL regulars are dominating. They won’t provide much else if the rest of the side is struggling.
Garner, Lord, Burgoyne, Schofield, Frederick are nowhere near AFL level. Mead would also be lost based on tonight. Williams could be better in a stronger team, but isn’t a player who will set a standard for his teammates to follow.

Jones and Hayes are the two who stood tall tonight.

Good depth they said, awful result.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
We are fielding 3 less AFL players than we would've been in previous years. 2 less on the list and a medical sub.

We also have a lot of very young, developing, and slight kids, Burgoyne, Schofield, Lord. We have kids that have not played at the level and haven't played for a while like Williams and Mead. And lastly we have a stack of new top up players that aren't anywhere near the quality we had in the past. Surman was ok, Weidmann did some nice stuff but we've got some real weak links out there.

This result is pretty much what I would've expected coming in. I'd hope we were a couple goals closer, but against a side that I think will be top 2, it wasn't horrendous.

We'll be a competitive side, but we're kidding ourselves if we don't expect to be a mid table SANFL battler, highly dependent on having no AFL injuries.

Schofield for a first game at that level was decent enough. 22 touches and a goal in a thrashing is decent. Frederick got better as the game went on. Hayes was ok. Jones was very solid. Noone else worth mentioning.

The SANFL go out of their way to make it as hard as possible for us.
...and the car hunts are really good at it too.

Comes naturally to those weened on grapefruit juice and only smile when they're breaking wind.

These honkies are rotten to the core.

Let 'em revel in their juandice.

How many players were making their SANFL debut and how many were playing their first open age competitive game ie not a trial game?

Williams, Mead, Burgoyne, Lord, Schofield

How many top up players were making their SANFL A grade debut?

Norwood always pump themselves up for this game under light against Port at the Parade to open the season.

Not the first Port team to go that shithole and play like crap so I wouldn't be hugely concerned -yet.

Long way to go on the season and we have a lot to learn.

My concern is in the time that we have had players all together a lot of the time the magpie attitude and effort particularly early in the game reflects how the power starts

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The concern isn't the young players. It's the fact that Rockliff, Mckenzie, Linert, Sutcliffe et al all looked awful. Its OK to lose because the younger players can't hold up their end of the bargain, but if your senior players are letting you down then that isn't acceptable.

How many players were making their SANFL debut and how many were playing their first open age competitive game ie not a trial game?

Norwood always pump themselves up for this game under light against Port at the Parade to open the season.
11 players played their first game for us.

I've seen much better sides than the one we put out there tonight get absolutely pumped on that paddock.

The game went much as I expected.

11 players played their first game for us.
And most it was their first SANFL A grade game. We were always on a hiding to nothing. Its why I found it hard to get motivated to go to the game.

This thinking we have so much depth and will dominate the sanfl just got a decent reality check.

And most it was their first SANFL A grade game. We were always on a hiding to nothing. Its why I found it hard to get motivated to go to the game.

This thinking we have so much depth and will dominate the sanfl just got a decent reality check.
I reckon next week we need to bolster the midfield, hopefully Powell-Pepper and Appleton are picked. Get Edwards in the side to be a tall swingman.

How do the Crows get to have both Daniel Jackson AND Matthew Wright, as add-ons to their SANFL squad? And we only get Sutcliffe???? Anyone know?

How do the Crows get to have both Daniel Jackson AND Matthew Wright, as add-ons to their SANFL squad? And we only get Sutcliffe???? Anyone know?
Jackson is making up the numbers. He is topping up the top up players. He hasnt played a game of footy for about 5 years. They had to get Sanfl approval.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back