2nds Norwood vs Port Adelaide - Round 1 @ The Parade

Remove this Banner Ad

davo999

Club Legend
Nov 5, 2009
Aldinga Beach
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Was talking to Peter. Burgoyne at the game , ( still at his playing weight )
He was saying the same thing , there’s a lot of first gamers and the team needs time to play as a team more .
He’s got Jase coming through this year hopefully and then there’s the younger one again Rome .
I thought Hayes was pretty good , to tell the truth nobody else really grabbed me . Jones got better as the game went on , Williams went hard at the contest . Burgoyne is a handy crumber but not much else yet , his dad reckons he’s played more up the field around the ball as a junior .
Leinert was O.K so was McKenzie .
Lord struggled to impose himself but I don’t mind the look of him .
Schofield looks like the second coming of Farrell , neat compact li player that needs to build up so he can mix it a bit more.
Woodcock was ok .
Surman was a mixed bag . A few good bits , a few changers , at least he looks to have a thirst for the contest .
Frederick tried hard and got into the game a bit with his run but Norwood did a good job of blocking the exits so we didn’t have loose or leading players up and down the flanks .
Hardly noticed Mead or Rockliff.
Dissapointing but not unexpected , we look like a bottom 5 side on tonight’s performance

Coobk001

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
SA Spurs, Anaheim Ducks, White Sox
Jackson is making up the numbers. He is topping up the top up players. He hasnt played a game of footy for about 5 years. They had to get Sanfl appeoval.
Fair enough, I wasn't aware of his situation, but seemed weird they could add a 2nd player like him, but yeah if he's been out a while he's just like Surman I guess.

ozph1870

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 3, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
dallas cowboys ferrari f1
Luckily I saw the line was at 4 points tonight and chucked a heap on Norwood. Couldn't believe our odds were so short. Was Norwood 1.80 to Port 1.95. Should've been more like Norwood 1.40, Port 3.10
Long last quarter for the 40 plus backers...

ozph1870

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 3, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Just hope we avoid the spoon.
need to add some size and pace through the midfield, id play Fredrick through there more.
Hayes was good, by far out best, flankers and role players are always going to struggle in sides that get dominated like that, not much point going on about that.
let’s not overreact a bit too, it’s obvious what was going to happen tonight, we have depth, except through the mid field, is not going to show on nights like tonight but we have have enough quality to step up and play their roles at AFL level if needed throughout the year.

Apr 27, 2003
Kensington Gardens
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
B'ham CityFC Adelaide United FC
Word at the ground was the Rocky was taken away in an Ambulance as a result of that concussion. He might be missing for a few weeks. Mckenzie had a poor game and won't get anywhere near the AFL side on that form. Hayes was fantastic all night, he's just about ready. Lord looked for all the world a player who's missed a year of Football but there's something to work with once there are more miles in the legs. Williams had a solid game.

This was Norwood's big night out and they came to play. It's the biggest crowd they'll see all season and I look forward to the SANFL and Norwood being hit with covid breaches as the crowd was way over 5000 (probably 7000). As usual they carried on at the great "achievement" of beating our reserves side of mostly kids and top ups, whilst we simply shrugged our shoulders and immediately turned our thoughts to the important stuff of a Saturday night AFL blockbuster in Perth. Poor old Norwood, could've been at big table with us except for a severe lack of cojones and no ambition to be anything other than small time.

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Grêmio, DC United, Pistons
And most it was their first SANFL A grade game. We were always on a hiding to nothing. Its why I found it hard to get motivated to go to the game.

This thinking we have so much depth and will dominate the sanfl just got a decent reality check.
My reality check was when RossFC posted our probable line-up. Yes, we have depth; but it does not go deep enough to form a second team. Using your Top-16 rule as a guideline, our depth would probably go to – exaggerating – #30. It is awesome for the Power, but not near enough to be actually good for the Maggies.

The Magpies would be 15 players short, in the best case scenario. That's where the top-up rules hurt us. It is more than half of the entire Magpie line-up, and injuries only make it worse.

The Maggies will get better, no doubt. However, the ceiling doesn't seem high enough for letting us to run deep in the Finals. I hope I am wrong.

Jan 14, 2008
Salisbury, Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Man City, NY Jets
Schofield for a first game at that level was decent enough. 22 touches and a goal in a thrashing is decent. Frederick got better as the game went on. Hayes was ok. Jones was very solid. Noone else worth mentioning.
Fredrick SUCKS! Just zero desperation!

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Hayes was a monster in ruck. Must have finished with 40+ hitouts but it was how clear and decisive those hitouts were. Absolute dominance. Wasn’t much of a factor when the ball was on the ground or in contests though. Clunked and contested aerially around the ground. He’s the exact opposite player of ladhams.

jones. - Sloppy as all hell with the ball but massive workrate and endeavour

Farrell - good first half where he was our only player clean with possession and worked hard as well. Didn’t see him at all in the second. Honestly think he might be flying over as an emergency.

Lienert - some sloppiness that got better as the game went on. Worked hard but too much work for him to do alone. Showed he is still good depth.

McKenzie - poor game with a couple of good moments but so far off from his best. First game back so hopefully will build

Sutcliffe - bad game. He’s an experienced afl player and he was dominated by his opponents all night. Huge reason we lost that game

mayes - tried hard. Didn’t have as much impact as he should have with that much of the ball

Schofield - bad first half. Great disposal is meant to be his bag so was annoying to see his skills get ports immediately. Good second half.

rockliff - trash league. Rocky copped a lot of attention from Norwood that the umps just entirely let go. So unsurprising that he got injured that I predicted it 1 minute before it happened. campaigners.

woodcock - horrible game

mead - still a tonne of work to do before he even gets near our 22. It’s scary that he’s currently a starting mid in our seconds team.

Frederick - got better but has established that he’s not a threat to anyone in our 22. Stagnated at this level.

Garner - horrid start and rose to just being poor by the end. Disappointed that he looks to have gone backwards

lord -not much to say.

Williams - one of few who could impact when he touched it, just didn’t touch it anywhere near enough. Still a long term project. I don’t think he plays afl this year

so many passengers and fringe players expected to fill key roles in this side.

Jan 14, 2008
Salisbury, Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Hayes tries hard, needs the Ladhams burst of confidence that he is the best player in the League. A couple of times was worked under the ball too easily and gave up the contest, where as Ladhams just refused to be beaten and threw himself at it to nullify the contest. Ruckwork was good and took a few nice marks, probably ended the night with 7-8 could have been about 15!

Jan 14, 2008
Salisbury, Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
jones. - Sloppy as all hell with the ball but massive workrate and endeavour
- Looks lost and indecisive with the ball, maybe struggling with Data overload at the minute.

Williams - one of few who could impact when he touched it, just didn’t touch it anywhere near enough. Still a long term project. I don’t think he plays afl this year
- Is a beast when ball in dispute or he is in possession, HOWEVER just doesn't have the work rate to get to multiple contests and doesn't do enough when the ball isn't within his 7 meter radius.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

davo999

Club Legend
Nov 5, 2009
Aldinga Beach
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Word at the ground was the Rocky was taken away in an Ambulance as a result of that concussion. He might be missing for a few weeks. Mckenzie had a poor game and won't get anywhere near the AFL side on that form. Hayes was fantastic all night, he's just about ready. Lord looked for all the world a player who's missed a year of Football but there's something to work with once there are more miles in the legs. Williams had a solid game.

This was Norwood's big night out and they came to play. It's the biggest crowd they'll see all season and I look forward to the SANFL and Norwood being hit with covid breaches as the crowd was way over 5000 (probably 7000). As usual they carried on at the great "achievement" of beating our reserves side of mostly kids and top ups, whilst we simply shrugged our shoulders and immediately turned our thoughts to the important stuff of a Saturday night AFL blockbuster in Perth. Poor old Norwood, could've been at big table with us except for a severe lack of cojones and no ambition to be anything other than small time.

Took half an hour to get a coke at half time . They didn’t set up very well for the size of the crowd

Too busy looking after the silvertails in the Wolf Blass Centre that the taxpayers paid for.

ozph1870

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 3, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
If we get an injury at AFL level and Mackenzie has to step up and play he will be fine, just like he was last year...

mead is a small forward / forward flanker that can run through midfield in brief doses, but is forced to play solely through the middle. We really lack midfield depth at the club, but have enough to be fine at AFL level, just not enough to be competitive at the maggies..

If we get an injury at AFL level and Mackenzie has to step up and play he will be fine, just like he was last year...

mead is a small forward / forward flanker that can run through midfield in brief doses, but is forced to play solely through the middle. We really lack midfield depth at the club, but have enough to be fine at AFL level, just not enough to be competitive at the maggies..
Adding 1 mid in the mid-season draft + getting SPP and Appleton in would improve things.

Alex09

Senior List
May 15, 2020
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Magpies
Lokan seems to be pretty happy with a largely pathetic performance. Bring back Chad Cornes.
I liked Chad as coach, he seemed to have a good attitude and desire for winning. Lokan gives the appearance a bit of just going through the motions low care factor sometimes. Hopefully appearances are misleading.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back