2nds Norwood vs Port Adelaide - Round 2 @ The Parade

Remove this Banner Ad

kgerlach01

Team Captain
Dec 29, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I'd pick Biemans ahead of Toumpas. And if we want to win, Summo plays in the guts and don't worry about developing Atley and Drew in September, they can do that up to the end of the home and away season.

Pity Biemans and Ross can't play and a few AFL listed guys go thru the Academy side. When the Vic clubs were first aligned with VFL/VFA clubs the rule was maximum of 12 in the A grade and rest played B grade.

I think a cap will eventually come in, but I'd rather just being able to pick our best 21, a cap might not allow us to do that

I think a cap will eventually come in, but I'd rather just being able to pick our best 21, a cap might not allow us to do that
Yeah I don't want an artificial cap, but if the AFL listed player isn't ready or good enough for A grade sanfl side then let them play in the B grade and stop wetting your pants sanfl clubs that they will dominate that because they will drop so many players into the b grade.

Yeah I don't want an artificial cap, but if the AFL listed player isn't ready or good enough for A grade sanfl side then let them play in the B grade and stop wetting your pants sanfl clubs that they will dominate that because they will drop so many players into the b grade.

but its not fair on the crows who dont have a reserves team!

Established1870

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 28, 2016
Tigris River
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
SA doesnt have the economy to support 3 AFL sides. Finding $50mil - ok $10-$12mil comes from the AFL, wouldn't be easy and it would suck money from lower level footy clubs as well as other sports. Sponsors would drop off both Port and the crows and both Port and the crows would lose members and casual fans who rock up to the game, the crows more so than port.

1) If Norwood come in, I don't see how we get affected by it. As we've shown, sponsorship isn't confined to your state these days. Norwood would receive international sponsorship like every other club and they'd have a fair bit of financial support from local wealthy supporters around the area as well. Support wise, if there is a genuine Norwood fan who supports Port in the AFL, then I'll shout your beer at AO for the rest of the season.

The only club who'd be affected by Norwood coming into the AFL would be the Crows, and even then, they still have 7 other SANFL sides to leech support off of.

2) I agree that from an economic perspective, SA can't afford a 3rd side, but it still makes more sense then WA3 (which is all the rage on Footy Industry). Most WA people are rusted on WCE or Freo supporters and everyone else supports an interstate side, whereas Norwood showed in the granny against us a few years ago that they still have sizeable support. I'd back Norwood to average 30-35k a game with our attendance staying the same.

kgerlach01

Team Captain
Dec 29, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
but its not fair on the crows who dont have a reserves team!

I believe they were asked too but didn't accept the offer, but this is a club who's "top ups" are amateur and country league players who are no way close to the standard, any time they have an in flux of those guys they get beaten. They underrated the league.

Sep 26, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Norwood could still lay claim to being South Australia’s most successful club in 1978 (until superceded by Port). Between 1975 and 1985, Port Adelaide and Norwood had both won four premierships. As late as 1987 the Redlegs were only one premiership behind Port Adelaide with the head-to-head tally then standing at 27-26.

From the mid-1980s, however, arch-rivals Port Adelaide began to assert themselves, on and off the field, to a degree that Norwood could not match. A three-peat, in 1988, 1989, and 1990, coupled with stronger finances, came at the most opportune time for the Magpies. The newly expanding VFL, officially reconstituted as the AFL - Australian Football League - in 1990, had committed itself to expansion in South Australia on the heals of it's foray into Sydney, Queensland, and Western Australia.

Sep 26, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Love this passage from Fox Footy.

A proud footballing team that has dominated the SANFL with the most premierships in the state’s footballing history against a side that Port Adelaide supporters grew to hate in its infancy as an AFL club. Why the latter? Because in some Power fans’ eyes, the Adelaide Football Club was a fabricated entity, with no history or culture, built with disrespect in mind for the 120 years of footballing glory created by those in the black and white.

Could have and should have been the Legs.

kgerlach01

Team Captain
Dec 29, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Love this passage from Fox Footy.

A proud footballing team that has dominated the SANFL with the most premierships in the state’s footballing history against a side that Port Adelaide supporters grew to hate in its infancy as an AFL club. Why the latter? Because in some Power fans’ eyes, the Adelaide Football Club was a fabricated entity, with no history or culture, built with disrespect in mind for the 120 years of footballing glory created by those in the black and white.

Could have and should have been the Legs.

One of the best things I've ever read.

I've always stolen a soccer chant from AFC Wimbledon who chant something towards MK Dons, towards the crows

"You know what you are! You know what you arrrrrrrrre!! Franchise bastards!! You know what you are!!"

1) If Norwood come in, I don't see how we get affected by it. As we've shown, sponsorship isn't confined to your state these days. Norwood would receive international sponsorship like every other club and they'd have a fair bit of financial support from local wealthy supporters around the area as well. Support wise, if there is a genuine Norwood fan who supports Port in the AFL, then I'll shout your beer at AO for the rest of the season.

The only club who'd be affected by Norwood coming into the AFL would be the Crows, and even then, they still have 7 other SANFL sides to leech support off of.

2) I agree that from an economic perspective, SA can't afford a 3rd side, but it still makes more sense then WA3 (which is all the rage on Footy Industry). Most WA people are rusted on WCE or Freo supporters and everyone else supports an interstate side, whereas Norwood showed in the granny against us a few years ago that they still have sizeable support. I'd back Norwood to average 30-35k a game with our attendance staying the same.

1. Look at level 2, 3, and 4 sponsorships, corporate hospitality packages, functions packages etc, that's where you need local businesses chipping in on a decent scale and on a regular basis.

2. Yeah a 3rd team in WA would be economically more viable in the long run but has no real basis for starting as it will just be just a generic team, whereas Norwood can call on its long history to connect existing, old and new fans.

The AFL isn't likely to start a team outside Perth metro but a team say from Mandurah which has its own distinctive geographical base but is close enough to Perth that over time would have supporters live in Perth and attract Perth businesses to their corporate sponsorships could work in the sort of way Geelong is its own separate area but has a lot of supporters live in Melbourne and Melbourne businesses sponsor them at those lower levels. Mandurah might be too small but a distinctive area with say 300,000 people just like Geelong but within 90 minutes of Perth CBD might be the place for a 3rd WA team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd pick Biemans ahead of Toumpas. And if we want to win, Summo plays in the guts and don't worry about developing Atley and Drew in September, they can do that up to the end of the home and away season.

Pity Biemans and Ross can't play and a few AFL listed guys go thru the Academy side. When the Vic clubs were first aligned with VFL/VFA clubs the rule was maximum of 12 in the A grade and rest played B grade.
Biemans had a pretty bad year last year so I think it'd be hard to justify putting him in the team.

Jon Ross though would have been handy as a 3rd tall defender instead. Reynolds was playing as the 4th tall forward which is too much IMO.

With Summo and Drew I think Drew would be a better outside player. So it does make sense to swap them. Atley should stay in the middle though.

Biemans had a pretty bad year last year so I think it'd be hard to justify putting him in the team....
I know you saw a lot more games than me Ross but the 5 or 6 I saw him play I though he was a good contributor and played good team footy, usually got a shut down job and did it well. I know he won an award last year, best team man or most courageous.

Jun 12, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Norwood can **** off. They had their chance and s**t the bed.
I have no more respect for them now than I do for any other of the pissant brigade.

Yep they had their chance to join the big league but they sunk their own battleship through sheer pettiness and shortsightedness.

EABBC kents.

scottjr

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 8, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Norwood can **** off. They had their chance and s**t the bed.
I have no more respect for them now than I do for any other of the pissant brigade.

Na there needs to be football in Adelaide every Saturday night. You have no idea how it helps the economy getting supporters here for the weekend. If Norwood could make an economic case to play in the AFL put another team in Perth and another team in Adelaide. Create a conference system people may support 2 teams. Chase the Suns if the Gold Coast is a failure they could make a better case than Tasmania.

There is absolutely zero case for another AFL team and it certainly won't come from S.A. Rightly or wrongly the rest of Australia doesn't even think S.A. can safely light up a football stadium once a week.

As for Norwood's success compared to Port they didn't even win a premiership between 1950 and 1975. Where did all their success come? In a 4 team comp in the 1880s before grand finals were even played?

They had their chance, that ship sailed in 1990 hit an iceberg and sank.

They can look forward to a life of limbo at the Parade where the biggest drawing games are in the AFLW.

Established1870

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 28, 2016
Tigris River
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
1. Look at level 2, 3, and 4 sponsorships, corporate hospitality packages, functions packages etc, that's where you need local businesses chipping in on a decent scale and on a regular basis.

2. Yeah a 3rd team in WA would be economically more viable in the long run but has no real basis for starting as it will just be just a generic team, whereas Norwood can call on its long history to connect existing, old and new fans.

The AFL isn't likely to start a team outside Perth metro but a team say from Mandurah which has its own distinctive geographical base but is close enough to Perth that over time would have supporters live in Perth and attract Perth businesses to their corporate sponsorships could work in the sort of way Geelong is its own separate area but has a lot of supporters live in Melbourne and Melbourne businesses sponsor them at those lower levels. Mandurah might be too small but a distinctive area with say 300,000 people just like Geelong but within 90 minutes of Perth CBD might be the place for a 3rd WA team.

1) If Norwood got a side in the AFL, I'd be happy wagering that local businesses around there would sponsor them to no end. An AFL team based in East Adelaide would get a lot of local sponsorship, and the area can afford it too.

2) Exactly. WA don't have a club the size of Norwood toiling around in the WAFL and although you make a good case for Mandurah, Geelong have one thing that makes them stand out over every other country region fitting the parameters that you touched on, an AFL standard oval. That would cost far too much for any WA country region close to Perth to make.

There is absolutely zero case for another AFL team

220px-Tasmania.A2005320.2355.250m.jpg

I think the Cows would lose between 12,000 - 15,000 members to Norwood.

Making Port the outright biggest club in SA. I can already hear the whistle as egos deflate at the thought of it. I wonder what would happen if they realised Port was already the biggest club in SA. The Crows after all are a representation of ALL SANFL clubs combined.

As far as a Tassie team goes, the AFL has had a full Brazilian. They're waxed off the map. The best they can do is have a couple of current teams sponge a few dollars off them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back