2nds Norwood vs Port Adelaide - Round 2 @ The Parade

Remove this Banner Ad

1) If Norwood got a side in the AFL, I'd be happy wagering that local businesses around there would sponsor them to no end. An AFL team based in East Adelaide would get a lot of local sponsorship, and the area can afford it too.
And some of those businesses would move their support from Port to Norwood. the crows would lose more than Port but Port would lose some.

As far as a Tassie team goes, the AFL has had a full Brazilian. They're waxed off the map. The best they can do is have a couple of current teams sponge a few dollars off them.
Best chance for Tassie to get a team is for some Chinese billionaire investing $10 bil over a decade or less, into Tassie's clean and green food production industries and shipping and flying the produce to China. He also decides to buy and pay the full salaries of an A League team based in Tassie and wants them to play all over Asia, buys in lots of stars uses the outside the cap rules and aims to win the local championship and the Asian Champions League within 5 year.

Watch the AFL then piss its pants and re-assess Tassie. Highly unlikely but $$$ are the only thing that will move the AFL.

simmo_bc

Cancelled
Port Adelaide - Riley Bonner Player Sponsor 2016
Feb 7, 2010
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Leeds United, Portland Trailblazers
Norwood could still lay claim to being South Australia’s most successful club in 1978 (until superceded by Port). Between 1975 and 1985, Port Adelaide and Norwood had both won four premierships. As late as 1987 the Redlegs were only one premiership behind Port Adelaide with the head-to-head tally then standing at 27-26.

From the mid-1980s, however, arch-rivals Port Adelaide began to assert themselves, on and off the field, to a degree that Norwood could not match. A three-peat, in 1988, 1989, and 1990, coupled with stronger finances, came at the most opportune time for the Magpies. The newly expanding VFL, officially reconstituted as the AFL - Australian Football League - in 1990, had committed itself to expansion in South Australia on the heals of it's foray into Sydney, Queensland, and Western Australia.

Norwood also won 11 of their premierships in the 1800's and had 14 before 1920.

I am born and bred eastern suburbs and know a stack of Norwood supporters who do not support the Crows. Garry McIntosh is a high profile example.

There is a lot of respect between our two clubs, would be great if they were in the AFL.

simmo_bc

Cancelled
Feb 7, 2010
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
I think the Cows would lose between 12,000 - 15,000 members to Norwood.

Not these days, Norwood barely have 3k members.

If I had a dollar for every time I came across a non member but hardcore Norwood fan I'd be a rich man.

As REH said, there is zero case for another SA team. The next AFL team will be from NSW or QLD.

ozph1870

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 3, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
dallas cowboys ferrari f1
Doesn't surprise me that glenelg pumped sturt after watching them v the pies last week..

Sep 26, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

If I had a dollar for every time I came across a non member but hardcore Norwood fan I'd be a rich man.

As REH said, there is zero case for another SA team. The next AFL team will be from NSW or QLD.
Could be possible that some supporters could return to an AFL Norwood from the Crows. It would have been great to play our old foe on the big stage, a good traditional club like ours.

Jun 12, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

No way. GC and GWS are currently last and second last on memberships and attendance by a shitload.

They will put a team in Singapore before the rugby states get another one.

Sep 26, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Norwood also won 11 of their premierships in the 1800's and had 14 before 1920.

I am born and bred eastern suburbs and know a stack of Norwood supporters who do not support the Crows. Garry McIntosh is a high profile example.

There is a lot of respect between our two clubs, would be great if they were in the AFL.
It would be interesting to know how many Legs fans went to the Crows, stayed loyal to Norwood and the numbers that follow Port (AFL).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

simmo_bc

Cancelled
Feb 7, 2010
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
No way. GC and GWS are currently last and second last on memberships and attendance by a shitload.

They will put a team in Singapore before the rugby states get another one.

Growth is what they will look for though which is why Tasmania will never have an afl team. I'm guessing the GC and GWS memberships would compare favourably with NRL teams.

simmo_bc

Cancelled
Feb 7, 2010
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
It would be interesting to know how many Legs fans went to the Crows, stayed loyal to Norwood and the numbers that follow Port (AFL).

Don't forget that there is a decent contingent of Magpies fans that stuck with the Crows too

Best chance for Tassie to get a team is for some Chinese billionaire investing $10 bil over a decade or less, into Tassie's clean and green food production industries and shipping and flying the produce to China. He also decides to buy and pay the full salaries of an A League team based in Tassie and wants them to play all over Asia, buys in lots of stars uses the outside the cap rules and aims to win the local championship and the Asian Champions League within 5 year.

Watch the AFL then piss its pants and re-assess Tassie. Highly unlikely but $$$ are the only thing that will move the AFL.

Not even Kim Jong Un is that ambitious! :eek: :D

Valentino

Club Legend
Mar 1, 2014
Beside myself
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
VR46 and SSC Napoli
Did I ever say that? The only thing I'd like changed is for us to be able to pick our best 21, so guys like Sharrad don't get dropped after playing a blinder because of some s**t rule that the VFL and WAFL don't even have.

Once again, I attend every single game every single year, which is more that what I can say about the vast majority on this page.

By demamding no AFL in the sanfl, that is exactly what you are saying because there is no other alternative. Wake up and smell the coffee.
BTW i have a Maggies membership and attend games when I can. I guess it is easy for someone who follows a Victorian AFL team to find the time to go see sanfl football every week.

Jun 12, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Growth is what they will look for though which is why Tasmania will never have an afl team. I'm guessing the GC and GWS memberships would compare favourably with NRL teams.

I'm sure they compare favourably to the Stainful aswell, but let's not lower ourselves to comparisons with second rate competitions. The next expansion is probably 20 years away anyway so it's probably not worth speculating at this point.

simmo_bc

Cancelled
Feb 7, 2010
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
I'm sure they compare favourably to the Stainful aswell, but let's not lower ourselves to comparisons with second rate competitions. The next expansion is probably 20 years away anyway so it's probably not worth speculating at this point.

True, I can't see another team in the foreseeable future unless a team folds which looks unlikely.

simmo_bc

Cancelled
Feb 7, 2010
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
:eek::eek:o_O How is this possible, i would give up footy if Port ceased to exist.

I know of Magpies supporters that stuck with the Crows unfortunately. I also know of a heap of people that support both teams. Sad I know!

Sep 26, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I hope the next big announcement from the AFL will be the setting up of an AFL reserves competition, so we have nothing to do with the SANFL.

Sep 26, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I know of Magpies supporters that stuck with the Crows unfortunately. I also know of a heap of people that support both teams. Sad I know!
Really, how can you be a Port supporter and Crows supporter. This may sound silly but there is no way in hell as a Port fan i could follow the Crows, it's Port or nothing.

Last edited:

scottjr

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 8, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Could be possible that some supporters could return to an AFL Norwood from the Crows. It would have been great to play our old foe on the big stage, a good traditional club like ours.

It's entertainment. A bandwagon for people in a football state to jump on. Put the GWS squad in an Norwood jumper at Adelaide oval on Sunday afternoon ( this week's timeslot) How many people show up?

Sep 26, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
So these Port Magpie fans that share Alberton Oval chanting for Port, go to Showdowns and barrack for the Crows. I am sure it happens but it's something i find hard to get my head around.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back