Established1870

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 28, 2016
Tigris River
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
And some of those businesses would move their support from Port to Norwood. the crows would lose more than Port but Port would lose some.

With the way China's going, a hypothetical Norwood side in the AFL wouldn't hurt us at all if they took some of our local sponsors.

Growth is what they will look for though which is why Tasmania will never have an afl team.

upload_2017-4-14_19-47-8.png

upload_2017-4-14_19-48-29.png

simmo_bc

Cancelled
Port Adelaide - Riley Bonner Player Sponsor 2016
Feb 7, 2010
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Leeds United, Portland Trailblazers
So these Port Magpie fans that share Alberton Oval chanting for Port, go to Showdowns and barrack for the Crows. I am sure it happens but it's something i find hard to get my head around.

It would be the pre crows Magpies supporters that supported the crows for 6 years before we came into the competition. The same thing would happen if Norwood entered into the AFL.

I would be 99% certain that Magpies supporters that go to sanfl games are power supporters!

Let's be honest though, there would be a material contingent of Power/Crows supporters that have no idea what is happening in the sanfl. I am only glad that I can remember (albeit vaguely) the pre crows SANFL.

Sep 26, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It would be the pre crows Magpies supporters that supported the crows for 6 years before we came into the competition. The same thing would happen if Norwood entered into the AFL.

I would be 99% certain that Magpies supporters that go to sanfl games are power supporters!

Let's be honest though, there would be a material contingent of Power/Crows supporters that have no idea what is happening in the sanfl. I am only glad that I can remember (albeit vaguely) the pre crows SANFL.
Would be nice to know all the actual figures on this topic, would make an interesting read. You must be from my generation.:)

scottjr

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 8, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
With the way China's going, a hypothetical Norwood side in the AFL wouldn't hurt us at all if they took some of our local sponsors.

View attachment 357682

View attachment 357683

Any number of sponsors all over the world Norwood could chase. Anyone looking for a foothold in Australia who could use the afl to put their name out there. You look at what Port have done with China people will stop thinking there are limits. How would you like the job of selling the afl? You've got a good product.

View attachment 357682

View attachment 357683
Green Bay is within a 3-4 hour drive to 4+ million people. Milwaukee Wisconsin is 120 miles away and has 1.5mil and no NFL team. Madison Wisconsin the capital has 650k and about 140 miles drive. The state of Wisconsin has 5.7mil people and Green Bay is the only NFL team in the state. You have about 12 cities in the 100k-250k range and most within that 3-4 hour drive.

Minneapolis-St Paul in Minnesota has a population almost 4mil and is just over the state border and about 250 mile drive. Yes they have their own NFL team, but plenty of people from Wisconsin have moved there and take their support of Packers with them. One of my best mate's missus is from Madison Wisconsin, they met at the University of Minnesota in Minneapolis about 26 years ago and a couple of years later when she moved to Oz, she schooled me on the history of Green Bay Packers and what they mean to the whole state and how people have no problem driving for a few hours every second Sunday to watch them play. I thought I knew a reasonable amount about the Packers before that lesson.

Jun 12, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Green Bay is within a 3-4 hour drive to 4+ million people. Milwaukee Wisconsin is 120 miles away and has 1.5mil and no NFL team. Madison Wisconsin the capital has 650k. The state of Wisconsin has 5.7mil people and Green Bay is the only NFL team in the state. You have about 12 cities in the 100k-250k range and most within that 3-4 hour drive.

Minneapolis-St Paul in Minnesota has a population almost 4mil and is just over the state border and about 250 mile drive. Yes they have their own NFL team, but plenty of people from Wisconsin have moved there and take their support of Packers with them. One of my best mate's missus is from Madison Wisconsin, they met at the University of Minnesota in Minneapolis about 26 years ago and a couple of years later when she moved to Oz, she schooled me on the history of Green Bay Packers and what they mean to the whole state and how people have no problem driving for a few hours every second Sunday to watch them play. I thought I knew a reasonable amount about the Packers before that lesson.

Schooled by the stat man.

#yougotREHkt

rogerjames

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2014
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Did I ever say that? The only thing I'd like changed is for us to be able to pick our best 21, so guys like Sharrad don't get dropped after playing a blinder because of some s**t rule that the VFL and WAFL don't even have.

Once again, I attend every single game every single year, which is more that what I can say about the vast majority on this page.
Dont worry about the others, I think its great that you stayed with the Saints. Agree re Sharrad, my favourite Magpies player and him being dropped because of some crap rules is very ordinary.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oct 7, 2004
Adelaide, South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
i know someone who was is a die hard Port Adelaide supporter from way back. Followed the Crows into the AFL and stayed with them.

Its a real weird discussion when he talks about the glory days of the 80s and early 90s Mapgies premierships, then goes on to talk about how he absolutely hates and despises the Power.

He will swear black and blue that the Power arent the real Port Adelaide and the "Power Franchise" were created and destroyed the Magpies.

When i ask him how can he not support Port Adelaide in the AFL he will tell me that the Power arent the real Port..."how can you have a captain from Norwood (Primus) and then captain from Victoria (Boak).

I then ask him where did Bob McLean come from? and where did Foster Williams Come from? Because neither were with Port when then started
Its also an arguement i can never win
He is too dumb to see.

rogerjames

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2014
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Nope still dumb imo but makes more sense. You can't go for "your club in the AFL" so you pick your next favourite option.

The club you follow did the unprecedented move of being successful enough on and off field to move to the premier comp in the land, but nah Saints cause 1964 or whatever
Everyone must conform. BLAH BLAH

Marshall, Marshall, Marshall........... Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm........ Talent, pure talent....... But something's not right there. Hopefully it's just youth, but geez he doesn't look switched on at all. Dropped a simple chest mark going at half rat power in the 3rd that just typified his game. I was always pro Westhoff and Thurstans regardless of their laconic nature, and I'll give Marshall some more time, but I'm not going to deny I'm seeing some HUGE red flags popping up watching him.

I'd definitely hold off on making a call. To me right now he looks like a kid finding his feet in a forward line where he's second or third fiddle. Spends half his time trying to work out where he should be setting up. I'm guessing growing up he did what he wanted but at the moment he's basically playing pocket/flank. Watch him and he's looking around at where to stand - almost a little timid about it. What he needs is a four goal game to get some confidence, and then to start getting used as more of a primary target.

kgerlach01

Team Captain
Dec 29, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
By demamding no AFL in the sanfl, that is exactly what you are saying because there is no other alternative. Wake up and smell the coffee.
BTW i have a Maggies membership and attend games when I can. I guess it is easy for someone who follows a Victorian AFL team to find the time to go see sanfl football every week.

*yawn* that conversation ended HOURS ago dude, let it go, everyone else on this page did.

One last time, I never said "no AFL in SANFL" I said I'd like us to pick our best 21, not have a silly rule over our heads that doesn't allow us too, and guess what? Mrspeaker who started the conversation with me, AGREED!!

Move on dude or otherwise I guess your just trolling to get a reaction, which is just sad.

kgerlach01

Team Captain
Dec 29, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Dont worry about the others, I think its great that you stayed with the Saints. Agree re Sharrad, my favourite Magpies player and him being dropped because of some crap rules is very ordinary.

Thank you, the majority on here are fine and were just simply asking questions, but others took it way too seriously and won't drop the topic.

Established1870

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 28, 2016
Tigris River
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
Green Bay is within a 3-4 hour drive to 4+ million people. Milwaukee Wisconsin is 120 miles away and has 1.5mil and no NFL team. Madison Wisconsin the capital has 650k and about 140 miles drive. The state of Wisconsin has 5.7mil people and Green Bay is the only NFL team in the state. You have about 12 cities in the 100k-250k range and most within that 3-4 hour drive.

I know about Green Bay and the support they get from all over the place, it's one of the reasons I bring them up when discussing this (although not this time). People think Tassie would have at max 500k supporters to draw from yet forget that a lot more live on the mainland and most would drop their current side in an instant to support a Tasmanian one.

Tassie FC between the state population and expat numbers across the country (these range literally anywhere) would have a potential supporter base of anywhere from 500,000 to 1.5 million people. Tasmanians are probably the most fanatical and parochial supporters of the game so if they had their own side to support in the top league, you can expect that most of them come out from all corners of the country to do so. Between the ones you meet in real life and the ones on here were 9/10 say they'd support a Tasmanian AFL side, it's obvious support wouldn't be a problem. People from all over Wisconsin are happy to drive 3-4 hours to watch the Packers and Tasmanians would be exactly the same with a potential local AFL side.

Chad makes an important point about changes to the team from one season to the next. The team is basically rebuilt in key positions from one season to the next. There is no continuity of quality players because continued good form sees you promoted up. Players come back from the AFL down on confidence and out of form. The group really doesn't train together like an everyday sanfl team. It's a young group with rookies and junior players finding their way. So cohesion and group dynamics will take time and supporters should be more understanding of that. This was a terrific victory.

So these Port Magpie fans that share Alberton Oval chanting for Port, go to Showdowns and barrack for the Crows. I am sure it happens but it's something i find hard to get my head around.

Hey it took me awhile but I'm here now.

Legit. It's been worth five figures at a minimum.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back