2nds Norwood vs Port Adelaide - Round 2 @ The Parade

Remove this Banner Ad

Chad makes an important point about changes to the team from one season to the next. The team is basically rebuilt in key positions from one season to the next. There is no continuity of quality players because continued good form sees you promoted up. Players come back from the AFL down on confidence and out of form. The group really doesn't train together like an everyday sanfl team. It's a young group with rookies and junior players finding their way. So cohesion and group dynamics will take time and supporters should be more understanding of that. This was a terrific victory.

Agreed. We made some serious changes in the off-season, turfing players with significant time on the list. We've got a rebuilt magpies this year. To date, it looks like this team will also lose Ah Chee and Toumpas this offseason as well.

On the flip side, this very refresh of the list is what has sparked so much interest in the magpies early this season. There is clearly a marked increase in general interest so far this year.

Agreed. We made some serious changes in the off-season, turfing players with significant time on the list. We've got a rebuilt magpies this year. To date, it looks like this team will also lose Ah Chee and Toumpas this offseason as well.

On the flip side, this very refresh of the list is what has sparked so much interest in the magpies early this season. There is clearly a marked increase in general interest so far this year.

Ok but if Arch is expendable why on earth didn't we token him to GC17 where his brother plays? Ken hasn't traded a player out during his entire tenure here and that seemed an obvious move? Could spaceship not have spared a 4th even? Why let his value bleed out to nothing like Jacobs, Pearce, Chaplin, Newton, Moore, O'Shea, (Lobbe)?

Ok but if Arch is expendable why on earth didn't we token him to GC17 where his brother plays? Ken hasn't traded a player out during his entire tenure here and that seemed an obvious move? Could spaceship not have spared a 4th even? Why let his value bleed out to nothing like Jacobs, Pearce, Chaplin, Newton, Moore, O'Shea, (Lobbe)?

Because he's too soft on players and not ruthless enough on list management in order to create a list profile that suits the system you are trying to ingrain.

Good thing we don't really have a system, which reflects our hickledy pickledy list management. Through all of kens years it's been hard to see what he is actually doing with the list and whether we are drafting to a particular system and plan. We only just started to show a method and attempted balance of the list profile this year.

Far too late. Should have stamped his authority within the first 12 months - atleast in some way.

Clearly not a system based coach. More of a laissez-faire "we'll give this a go and see how it works out" type coach.

I know about Green Bay and the support they get from all over the place, it's one of the reasons I bring them up when discussing this (although not this time). People think Tassie would have at max 500k supporters to draw from yet forget that a lot more live on the mainland and most would drop their current side in an instant to support a Tasmanian one.

Tassie FC between the state population and expat numbers across the country (these range literally anywhere) would have a potential supporter base of anywhere from 500,000 to 1.5 million people. Tasmanians are probably the most fanatical and parochial supporters of the game so if they had their own side to support in the top league, you can expect that most of them come out from all corners of the country to do so. Between the ones you meet in real life and the ones on here were 9/10 say they'd support a Tasmanian AFL side, it's obvious support wouldn't be a problem. People from all over Wisconsin are happy to drive 3-4 hours to watch the Packers and Tasmanians would be exactly the same with a potential local AFL side.
Unless you take proper surveys you can't just assume ex Tasmanians who have moved to mainland will flock to the team from Tassie. Over the years I have asked maybe 30 hard core footy fans who left Tassie and had been at least 10 years away from home and the standard sort of response was they would not give up supporting their current team they were barracking for, but they would support the new Tassie as their no. 2 team and would go watch them if they played in Melbourne or Sydney ie where these ex Tasmanians were living at the time when i asked them. But they aren't going to jump on a plane every second week to watch their no. 2 team.

I wouldn't be surprised if in Melbourne, 8,000 to 10,000 ex Tasmanians turned up to watch the Tassie team every game there, similar numbers to the what the Swans get from old South Melbourne supporters, who have also indoctrinated young family members plus the new fans who just started barracking for them with no family influence. I reckon Vic clubs would love to play a Tassie team in Melbourne over the gold coast and western sydney, because of their drawing power in Melbourne as those people would go to games and means the Vic teams would get a s**t load better stadium yield than a GCS or GWS game.

I have written many times on big footy that there is no blue sky in a Tassie team for the AFL but it would be a safer beat compared to the new side if you were to look at net subsidies after 10 years and 20 years to the 2 new teams. The AFL wouldn't have to hand out as many $$$ to a Tassie team but the new eyeballs aren't there for the AFL. So the AFL have gone for greed. I thought the GCS would have to be heavily subsidied for 10 years and the GWS for 20 years but I reckon its the GCS for 20 years and GWS maybe now 15 years.

Last week the GC reported another loss of $2.9mil for 2016 after receiving $19.1m distribution from the AFL. $10.18mil is the standard all clubs got in 2016 and 11 clubs got between $10.5mil and $13.2mil (Port got $13.2) and 5 clubs got $17m or more. See
http://www.afr.com/business/sport/g...ows-the-afl-has-big-challenge-20170330-gva778

Tassie footy has the stupid illogical north / south rivalry, that you can not assume a s**t load of people will jump on the highway and drive a few hours in those early years needed to sure up the team. s**t people wont drive between Hobart and Launceston to watch the footy in any great numbers.

I believe Tassie deserve a team but they have major economic hurdles to jump over before they become viable year in year out. They should have got a team 20-25 years ago when the economic hurdle was a lot lower.

The other reason why your Green Bay Packers analogy doesn't work ( ie after the greater population difference) is that Green Bay the club has a long established history compared to any new Tassie team. Its done its growing pains. It started almost a hundred years ago as a amateur team, in a semi pro state/regional league, went to the NFL when the NFL was a semi pro league for the next 4 decades. It was only in the late 1950's that any real money came into the league and you get the great Vince Lombardi rocking up at the same time and his teams changing the game and winning over huge number of fans, and then they win the first two super bowls in January 1967 and 1968. All done at a time when the financial hurdle was a lot lower for Green Bay Packers.

Jan 16, 2009
Heaps good
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Magpies, Bulls & Cricket Aus
We wanted to trade last year so I'm sure Arch was on the list, they obviously didn't want him, even for min chips. I'd say Ken would have very little say in the list management this year. Having 17 players out of contact and not having contact talks until mid season is bloody risky but I like it. The next 6 weeks will decide if we're going full rebuild or keep faith in the

simmo_bc

Cancelled
Port Adelaide - Riley Bonner Player Sponsor 2016
Feb 7, 2010
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Leeds United, Portland Trailblazers
We wanted to trade last year so I'm sure Arch was on the list, they obviously didn't want him, even for min chips. I'd say Ken would have very little say in the list management this year. Having 17 players out of contact and not having contact talks until mid season is bloody risky but I like it. The next 6 weeks will decide if we're going full rebuild or keep faith in the

Yep they tried to trade him to GC last year but they passed on the opportunity. Presumably they shopped him around elsewhere. He wouldn't be picked up on a main list if we delisted him, his best opportunity would be on a rookie list and there are probably better untried talents around than him.

Sep 26, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
i know someone who was is a die hard Port Adelaide supporter from way back. Followed the Crows into the AFL and stayed with them.

Its a real weird discussion when he talks about the glory days of the 80s and early 90s Mapgies premierships, then goes on to talk about how he absolutely hates and despises the Power.

He will swear black and blue that the Power arent the real Port Adelaide and the "Power Franchise" were created and destroyed the Magpies.

When i ask him how can he not support Port Adelaide in the AFL he will tell me that the Power arent the real Port..."how can you have a captain from Norwood (Primus) and then captain from Victoria (Boak).

I then ask him where did Bob McLean come from? and where did Foster Williams Come from? Because neither were with Port when then started
Its also an arguement i can never win
He is too dumb to see.
Your response to him was perfect. I have tried to have a general football conversation with many Cow fans and it's just impossible, they have this thing about Port Adelaide.

NoddyHolder

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 2, 2014
Tralfamadore
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Your response to him was perfect. I have tried to have a general football conversation with many Cow fans and it's just impossible, they have this thing about Port Adelaide.
I gave up trying to talk footy with crows supporters about 15 years ago. I opted to keep my sanity

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Unless you take proper surveys you can't just assume ex Tasmanians who have moved to mainland will flock to the team from Tassie. Over the years I have asked maybe 30 hard core footy fans who left Tassie and had been at least 10 years away from home and the standard sort of response was they would not give up supporting their current team they were barracking for, but they would support the new Tassie as their no. 2 team and would go watch them if they played in Melbourne or Sydney ie where these ex Tasmanians were living at the time when i asked them. But they aren't going to jump on a plane every second week to watch their no. 2 team.

I wouldn't be surprised if in Melbourne, 8,000 to 10,000 ex Tasmanians turned up to watch the Tassie team every game there, similar numbers to the what the Swans get from old South Melbourne supporters, who have also indoctrinated young family members plus the new fans who just started barracking for them with no family influence. I reckon Vic clubs would love to play a Tassie team in Melbourne over the gold coast and western sydney, because of their drawing power in Melbourne as those people would go to games and means the Vic teams would get a s**t load better stadium yield than a GCS or GWS game.

I have written many times on big footy that there is no blue sky in a Tassie team for the AFL but it would be a safer beat compared to the new side if you were to look at net subsidies after 10 years and 20 years to the 2 new teams. The AFL wouldn't have to hand out as many $$$ to a Tassie team but the new eyeballs aren't there for the AFL. So the AFL have gone for greed. I thought the GCS would have to be heavily subsidied for 10 years and the GWS for 20 years but I reckon its the GCS for 20 years and GWS maybe now 15 years.

Last week the GC reported another loss of $2.9mil for 2016 after receiving $19.1m distribution from the AFL. $10.18mil is the standard all clubs got in 2016 and 11 clubs got between $10.5mil and $13.2mil (Port got $13.2) and 5 clubs got $17m or more. See
http://www.afr.com/business/sport/g...ows-the-afl-has-big-challenge-20170330-gva778

Tassie footy has the stupid illogical north / south rivalry, that you can not assume a s**t load of people will jump on the highway and drive a few hours in those early years needed to sure up the team. s**t people wont drive between Hobart and Launceston to watch the footy in any great numbers.

I believe Tassie deserve a team but they have major economic hurdles to jump over before they become viable year in year out. They should have got a team 20-25 years ago when the economic hurdle was a lot lower.

The other reason why your Green Bay Packers analogy doesn't work ( ie after the greater population difference) is that Green Bay the club has a long established history compared to any new Tassie team. Its done its growing pains. It started almost a hundred years ago as a amateur team, in a semi pro state/regional league, went to the NFL when the NFL was a semi pro league for the next 4 decades. It was only in the late 1950's that any real money came into the league and you get the great Vince Lombardi rocking up at the same time and his teams changing the game and winning over huge number of fans, and then they win the first two super bowls in January 1967 and 1968. All done at a time when the financial hurdle was a lot lower for Green Bay Packers.

A stand alone Tassie team would struggle to find enough support to make it viable, and the AFL would be very aware of that.

If eg the kangaroos were relocated there, it's unlikely enough Taswegians who have supported other clubs would jump ship.

I have been to Tassie on 3 or 4 occasions, and many of the footballer followers I have spoken to are rusted on to the `VFL ' teams, they and their families have followed for decades.
Prising them away to follow yet another generic team, simply because it was located on the apple isle would take years.

Magus

Cancelled
10k Posts Bring Back the Bars
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Mavericks
Good thing we don't really have a system, which reflects our hickledy pickledy list management. Through all of kens years it's been hard to see what he is actually doing with the list and whether we are drafting to a particular system and plan. We only just started to show a method and attempted balance of the list profile this year.

Far too late. Should have stamped his authority within the first 12 months - atleast in some way.

Clearly not a system based coach. More of a laissez-faire "we'll give this a go and see how it works out" type coach.

I don't agree with this at all. Every off season it's been apparent that we've drafted for particular needs - whether that be quick smalls or key position players. Last draft period was the first one where we had the luxury of going after a few different types, as the list is in much better shape/balance than the few years previous.

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I gave up trying to talk footy with crows supporters about 15 years ago. I opted to keep my sanity

Agreed, it is an absolute waste of time trying to have a sensible footy conversation with a tingle's fan.

This perpetuated myth that their club is representing South Australia is the biggest load of sh*t in the history of loads of sh*t. :thumbsdown:
Sensible footy supporters are very aware the AFL is a club based competition, and the origin of the players in it has sfa to do with state allegiances, and I suspect there would be as many, if not more interstate born players at the tingles than there are native born South Aussies anyway. :rolleyes:

I can recall one of their most decorated players in Andrew McLeod, telling Kenny Cunnington in an interview years ago, that he was a Territorian, and he would go home when his footy career was over. :thumbsu:
Cunnington stuttered more than usual after that remark. :D

Mar 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Man Utd, Celtic, Tanunda
[QUOTE="tribey, post: 49684076, member: 6358"Ken hasn't traded a player out during his entire tenure here and that seemed an obvious move? Could spaceship not have spared a 4th even? Why let his value bleed out to nothing [/QUOTE]

images

:drunk:

Seriously though, what good would a pick in the 60's+ have been.
Better to keep him for depth this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mar 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Man Utd, Celtic, Tanunda
Son went to the Parade. Ecstatic they won. Ripper game apparently. Said Maggies skills were ordinary but they won by placing outstanding pressure on the Legs and never tossing in the towel.

Nord flogs booing our guys off the ground, hence the response from the players :D Stay classy as always Legs! :handpointup:

Bests in today's 'Tiser for both grades interesting - who selects those? Club or scribes? Lad said Frampton, Krak, Summo, Bonner, Sharrad, Snelling and Young were his picks. Paper had Toump, Billy, Dougs in bests. Baulderstone had two and a half times as many hitouts as Billy, just for interest's sake.

Ressies had guys like Finnie, Hampton and Anyang in bests. None of those had many stats according the SANFL website - but of course they each may have had a "team job" to do, we just don't know.

Good to see pics posted with Polly, Chuck, DBJ, Lobbes and a few others celebrating the guys exiting the ground. Great to see that sort of camaraderie, which I thought had been lacking in previous years between the two grades
images

Coobk001

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
SA Spurs, Anaheim Ducks, White Sox
Hard to trade someone to a place that doesn't want him.

That's the rub. I'm sure we'll trade out someone superfluous for a profit one day.

I think the key to this is winning. Look at Hawthorn for example, who have offloaded many players over the journey and scored good picks - but they went on to be reasonably s**t elsewhere.

Savage, Renouf, Anderson all come to mind.

I think the key to this is winning. Look at Hawthorn for example, who have offloaded many players over the journey and scored good picks - but they went on to be reasonably s**t elsewhere.

Yep. Because if you can't get a game for Port then you can't be much good, can you? Realistically, 2014 was the only chance we've had in the last decade to off load peripheral players for more than they were worth.

May 20, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
A stand alone Tassie team would struggle to find enough support to make it viable, and the AFL would be very aware of that.

If eg the kangaroos were relocated there, it's unlikely enough Taswegians who have supported other clubs would jump ship.

I have been to Tassie on 3 or 4 occasions, and many of the footballer followers I have spoken to are rusted on to the `VFL ' teams, they and their families have followed for decades.
Prising them away to follow yet another generic team, simply because it was located on the apple isle would take years.

I see where you're coming from '54.

I guess we need to ask the question, in 100 years will the AFL still exist? The answer is most likely yes. If a Tasmanian team existed, the next generation of Auskickers will grow up to support the Devils or whatever they're called. Where there's a local team, local support will always exist whether its through media, marketing, sponsorship or other means. It wouldn't be too dissimilar to how the Crows got their startup in 1991, with all the local media bias and saturation that goes along with it.

Personally I see the Gold Coast most susceptible to folding/relocating out of all the 18 clubs. By default a Tasmanian team is in a stronger position than the Suns and probably the best option to take their place if it were to ever happen.

Gold Coast are restricted to one location that is very difficult to grow into. If you look at the Queenland market they have nowhere else they can really expand outside of where they currently are. Logistically, financially and culturally I don't think the Suns have any regions they can influence. I've been to Port games at Merticon Stadium and while the local support was surprisingly good, I realised afterwards that its mostly filled with people who are diehard sports followers rather than necessarily being singularly passionate about AFL or the Suns. This means that the Suns are susceptible to lose that support when they stop winning.

GWS are adaptable from the point they are in a city that can carry a second team with a big and growing population. The Giants can move their home ground from Western Sydney to Canberra, mainland NSW or even inner city Sydney if they had to. They're a scalable club with a name that lends itself to put themselves wherever they want to on the NSW map.

Tasmania is fortunate in that they're already Aussie Rules mad, and that there is no direct line of competition for another sporting code for them to contend with. If ever there's any concerns about local support, they are always cushioned by the generous TV rights package that the AFL have with the TV broadcasters.

simmo_bc

Cancelled
Port Adelaide - Riley Bonner Player Sponsor 2016
Feb 7, 2010
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Leeds United, Portland Trailblazers

Yep very good point, everyone loves a winner!

mic59

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 20, 2002
Alberton, the chosen land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Blyth Spartans, Dallas Cowboys
So Ah Chee follows up his great game against Glenelg with an 8-disposal game. And Toumpas, who is down the pecking order a bit puts in one of his best games. But two who look like we will need later this year or early next year, Frampton and Howard, both put in good efforts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back