Rumour Not a good look for the game

Remove this Banner Ad

Less about football and more about society. You think this is the first time the instigators have done this sort of thing.

Less about football and more about society. You think this is the first time the instigators have done this sort of thing.
No, but pointing something out that happened with a link, but it did happen at a junior girls football game which is a fact nobody can deny.

No, but pointing something out that happened with a link, but it did happen at a junior girls football game which is a fact nobody can deny.
Junior Girls football will end up providing more of these violent episodes than any other junior sport in this country.
Go to a game and listen to the umpire abuse and racist remarks by players of any age and you will soon realize that a lot of these players are simply using their participation as an excuse to intimidate and attack vulnerable girls.
Ban me if you want but mark my words, I guarantee it will get a lot worse before it gets better - if it ever does.

Junior Girls football will end up providing more of these violent episodes than any other junior sport in this country.
Go to a game and listen to the umpire abuse and racist remarks by players of any age and you will soon realize that a lot of these players are simply using their participation as an excuse to intimidate and attack vulnerable girls.
Ban me if you want but mark my words, I guarantee it will get a lot worse before it gets better - if it ever does.
Many more games like this and it will kill Girls football at junior level, which will lead to the death of women's football.

Why? Not arguing, just interested in that opinion.

Having watched a bit of junior girls footy as my daughter plays and I do the boundary umpiring at both girls and boys games, it’s got a few of factors that probably result in more tension in the crowd than a junior boys game.

The girls are often coming to the game a bit older than the boys, so the parents haven’t had the few years of participation/no scores to settle in. It’s straight away winning and losing.

The girls are not as experienced at tackling and being tackled than boys at a similar age. You see more crude stuff through poor technique and players leaving themselves open to hits again through poor technique. That fires up the crowd.

While the boys definitely get chatty and dispute decisions with the umpires, I find the girls tend to be far more likely to bicker with the opposition players than the boys do (for whatever reason, not sure). There seems to be less tolerance of an opponent tackling hard from the girls. Lots more little flare ups between the girls, which can also rile up to crowd.

Hopefully as more and more girls get involved at younger ages, lots of these factors will equalise to what you see with the boys.

At the really young age groups it’s generally parents field umpiring, and they don’t tend to take chat from the players or the officials from either team. They pay 25 metre penalties and free kicks which tends to get things under control quick.

At the older age groups the umpires are often 15 year olds themselves, and they seem less confident and they put up with way more chat from the players, don’t pay frees to defuse things, and things can escalate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back