Toast Not a single vote for Tom Mitchell in Coaches MVP

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-08-02/who-is-the-games-mvp-coaches-have-their-say

Quite unreal tbh... sour grapes? in what world is he not in the top 3 vote getters. To receive no votes though...

How does the voting system work? Did the coaches just pick 1 player each? I'm not surprised none would have him no.1.

Conceivably all 18 coaches could have him 2nd MVP in their mind (not suggesting they do of course, just to illustrate the point.) and he wouldn't get a vote would he?

I would have thought that this should be a Roast for a Hawks fan! But a Toast on Swans or Cats boards.

Not fussed any more. It is what it is and there seems to be an undercurrent of anti Hawthorn sentiment by people who might be jealous of our success. The same guys who put Horse at the top of the coaches class in 2014.

Just happy for Tom to be out there every week doing the best he can to get to every contest, and influence it in our favour. Most of his uncontested possessions are because he has worked harder or smarter than his opponent. His few backward hand passes are to players in more space, or with more time, and, unlike some, most are to fellow Hawks not opposition.

Tom may lack the explosive pace and power of Danger out of a contest, or the fend off and elite dispoasl efficiency of Dusty, when he is on song but he has less clangers than the former and is more consistently involved than the latter this year. He is not a seagull like Jake Lloyd or Gazza but is often alongside team mates to offer an outlet for the ball as he is always heading in the same direction as play. I'm happy with his game, and he seems very team oriented. Every time Tom has the ball is a time that the opposition doesn't , and his disposal efficiency is good for the position he plays.

That was the result of a survey asking coaches who they feel the #1 most valuable player currently is.

I tend to agree with them. Mitchell is not a game breaker who can grab the contest by the scruff of the neck and win it off his own boot, if anything JOM is more that type of player. However Mitchell is ultra-consistent and would be even more valuable if we had elite midfielders he could distribute to, for instance if we hypothetically added Josh Kelly & Brad Hill suddenly Tom's handballs could be going to those guys instead of Liam Shiels & Daniel Howe and they'd directly result in more goals & score assists for Tom.

Tom will be just 25 at the start of next season and has improved in the second half of this year so there's no reason not to think he can't improve his ball use further. Don't forget Sam Mitchell was 'the extractor' early in his career and only became an elite distributor later on, though Sam had the great virtue of working tirelessly to improve his skills but I suspect Tom has a similar thirst to improve and I'll be surprised if he doesn't.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brownlow, Rising Star, MVP, Coaches award, All australian.

Participation awards, trinkets and nonsense. Just follow Clarko's lead and keep your eye on the premiership.

Someone explained that their feelings on Mitchell not getting a vote was due to how if Gawn or Cripps went down their teams would be even more stuffed. I think this is moronic because if Tom Mitchell got injured I think I would have a coronary. I shudder to think how we'd play without him at present.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back