Autopsy Not enough legs - Pies go down to Tiges in last qtr

Remove this Banner Ad

Reid cant play behind the footy anymore. he's too slow and falls over at every contest.

I'd argue he is borderline best 22 anywhere these days. doesn't get separation on the lead. struggles at ground level. falls over way too much. there's no fluidity to his game. its mark....kick and slows everyone down.
when did yo ulast see him play a run of games in defense?

Didn't deserve to lose by 43 points in the end, but Richmond are the benchmark at the moment. I watched them live against the Demons last Tuesday, and the nature of their victory was very similar to the one they had yesterday.

We competed well for most of the match, but we ran out of gas in the last 5 minutes when Richmond piled on late goals courtesy of their small forwards and widened the margin. Had Phillips somehow managed to kick that goal when he slipped in the goal square, we would have been 14 points down with about 5 minutes left so it was closer than the margin suggested.

I don't particularly value David King's opinion most of the time, but something he said on AFL 360 last Wednesday night about the way the Tigers play proved to be correct with the way yesterday's match transpired. He said the following: "Their [Richmond] pressure game gets better as the game goes on. Most teams puncture after about two and half quarters. They just can't handle the heat."

Treloar was outstanding and easily our best player. Phillips cops a lot of criticism with his ball use, but he's still a very handy accumulator and gut running player which is required in the modern game.

Grundy was decent, but I think Nankervis got the better of him around the ground, but maybe this can be explained by Grundy's injury niggles with his shin.

We lost the game, but I remain upbeat about our future prospects. We need to make sure we consolidate what we've produced so far and put in a strong performance against the Lions.

I don't think we're a top 4 side because all three losses have come against sides who currently sit in the top 4, but I think we're in the mix to play finals if we can keep producing more of the same in the future.

Buckley's Press Conference:

How did you assess that?
"Encouraging. Lost too many contests in the second half, both in the air and on the ground which affected our ability to play the way we wanted to play I suppose against a pretty good team. For the large parts of it, we were probably wrestling with ourselves to get the game on our terms and we didn't nail it, but it was enough to have us in the game and 20 minutes into the third quarter to be in that position to be still in the lead. Clearly Richmond's will to execute their game style was stronger and the last 40 minutes fell away for us largely off the back of contest. As you can see in this game, things can fall apart pretty quickly if you don't get the basics right so for us it was pretty much that in a nutshell. Contest in the last 40 minutes was not up to standard and bested by the best contested ball side in the comp"

Was losing Aish a factor in the final margin?
"The margin is not so much of a concern. We were in the game for quite a while. Not looking at the number between us and them at the end of the game, but we were just unable to play the way we wanted to play in the last 40 minutes. Being a player down happens in more games than not. It does impact on your capacity to change things up. I don't know what impact it has off a short break, but we're not going to cry poor about it. It was unfortunate. The most disappointing thing about that was the injury to Aish himself and to Reid late"

Do you think Richmond having an extra day to recover have an impact on the final quarter?

What's the prognosis of Maynard, Reid and Aish?
"Maynard will be alright. It's just a rolled ankle. Reid it's an achilles injury of some sort. I don't like the sound of that but we'll see when the dust settles. Aish is a PCL injury and we need to get it scanned to understand the significance of it. It would be premature to speculate on either of those boys"

What about Moore, Adams, Wells, Fasolo and Elliott?
"They're travelling really well. I don't know whether they'll be up for this week or not"

You got no idea whether Taylor Adams or Darcy Moore are ready?
"I know that Adams wanted to play today. I know that Moore isn't far off today".

How is Wells going? Is he AFL-ready and what about Elliott and Fasolo?
"Unlikely, but if we need him we'll go to him. Jamie is a few weeks away and Fas has been playing some good footy".

Damien Hardwick's stated that Collingwood was the toughest team his side have played so far this year. What do you make of your brand so far?
"We're confident of what our capacity is. We're still building that capacity. Understanding each other a bit better about the we want to play and imposing that brand on the opposition which we believe will give us the best chance of success week-to-week and whatever that looks like medium to long term through a season. We're still building on that, we're still still understanding it and we're still exploring what that looks like. We've shown some good signs over the majority of the home and away (season) to date. We're six games in and hopefully that's a quarter of what we've been exposed to and we've got opportunities to continue to improve that and develop it. We've played some pretty good opposition and we'll play some pretty good opposition in the near future that gives us another chance to learn and improve. I suppose in that regard that today is a loss but it gives us some form of reinforcement that we can stand up in some pretty fierce pressure and put some pretty fierce pressure on an opposition defensively and in the contest, but we were unable to do it well enough for long enough today".

How's Tom Langdon doing after he was a late withdrawal?
"Langdon was on the hit list a little bit after the ANZAC Day game. He was saying all the right things and was trying to get up, which is the player's job. Ultimately, the extra 24 hours we gave him after the team went out wasn't enough to get him up. That was a marginal call, but made by the medical staff and the strength conditioning boys. I thought Flynn [Appleby] came in and played his role exceptionally well. It was a really strong competitive debut from a young fella who was picked up as a rookie in November. It was a positive for us and I thought he came in and played pretty well".

A lot of focus on Chris Mayne. You would been encouraged by his pressure acts?
"I think the way we want to play, looking at the strengths of the list and the way we've structured up and the slight shifts we've made from last year, it's a changing landscape for all of our players. Mayne has attacked the pre-season and sees opportunity for himself in some roles we've got in the side. He's played real well through the VFL, as has Blair. The fact that those two boys were able to come in and execute role for the most part, we hope is another tick of what we're trying to build. You're not going to have the same personnel week to week let alone over a month to month. I thought the three boys called upon contributed really well. We're not expecting inclusions, whether they be Jamie Elliott or Chris Mayne, or whether it's Taylor Adams or Flynn Appleby, we're not expecting them to come in and be best on ground. We expect them to come in and execute their role for the team and help us play our brand of footy and we thought those three boys did for the most part".

What did you make of the Jack Higgins free kick [after the Lynden Dunn bump] which resulted in two goals?
"I think it was largely insignificant in the course of the day, so I won't be spending much time on it".

Brodie Grundy looked like early on that he was going to tear it to shreds, but did Nankervis manage to square up?
"More than squared it up. I thought Nankervis was dominant for the most part of the second half and it's just further learning for Grundy. He's still a relatively young ruckman. He's taken all before him and he's been fated for it, but he's got a level head. This is a tough caper, but he'll take the lessons from that and he'll keep going because he's made of the right stuff. I think he lowered his colours in the second half. I think ruckman are coming up against Grundy and setting themselves for him because of much of the focus of his performances more than anything else and that's what you've got to face when you're put on a pedestal like that. Grundy is not so concerned about the public platitudes but he's going to continue to work on his game and continue to improve and he'll take a lot from that".

Mason Cox was dominant in the first half as well, but the Tigers adjusted in the second half. What do you think the Tigers do to [nullify him]?
"I thought it was more Cox on dropping his guard a little and not being able to execute some of the things he was early. He clearly looked dominant early. Even those two boys, Brodie and Mason. The first half versus the second half performance. It has a significant impact on the result, but let's not put it on those two boys alone because clearly it's a team effort. It is significant. I think we didn't compete as well in the air, we didn't compete as well as on the ground and potentially that's probably because of our competitiveness aerially; ruck and contested marking. It impacts on your offence a little bit to when you sort of lose confidence in that option. There's a little bit in it for us. They're all marginal but they add up to be quite significant".

Was that perhaps the issue in the second half of the second quarter when their were various intercept marks going forward despite being on top?
"No one likes opposition defenders taking grabs. It's probably a focus of ours to bring the ball to ground. I reckon roughly 17 other teams would have that as a focus. You've got to give the defensive mechanisms of Richmond credit, but I thought for periods of the game our offensive stuff looked quite damaging".

What are you thoughts on the way the goal review(s) panned out today?
"We all want to get the decision right. I think everyone that is in the spotlight is paranoid about making blues. No one is perfect. We want to impose a perfect system. The umpires are not perfect and they miss stuff. I'm not perfect and I miss stuff. We don't get everything right but you blokes want everything to be right. There's our issue. Would you accept 95% accuracy, because you'll get that without the goal review and I don't even know we're getting 100% with it".

It should be foolproof with the system there?
"It should be or leave it to one bloke like the MRP and make sure he's waring black and white and we'll be happy with that [laughing*]".

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/video/2018-04-29/raw-buckley-reflects-post-match

You guys were absolutely excellent !

I’d love our clubs to collaborate so these attendances can bulk up a little bit. We really should at a club level - organise the rivalry a bit better. Two of Melbourne’s biggest clubs with such a storied history with one another and I feel that we’re at a disconnect with the way in which the rivalry is playing out.

That attendance should have been 85-95,000.

Didn't deserve to be beaten by the margin but so be it. To me the structure looks tons better than last year and a major part of that is not allowing opponents to walk the footy out of their backline. What could be a worry is that when Elliott and Fasolo play that tends to happen a lot. Maybe we can't play both together.

You guys were absolutely excellent !

I’d love our clubs to collaborate so these attendances can bulk up a little bit. We really should at a club level - organise the rivalry a bit better. Two of Melbourne’s biggest clubs with such a storied history with one another and I feel that we’re at a disconnect with the way in which the rivalry is playing out.

That attendance should have been 85-95,000.

72,000 was a disappointing figure, that's for sure. Hopefully both teams are travelling well in round 19, get closer to 85,000 on a Saturday afternoon.

72,000 was a disappointing figure, that's for sure. Hopefully both teams are travelling well in round 19, get closer to 85,000 on a Saturday afternoon.
I'd imagine the game being scheduled so close to Anzac Day and on a Sunday didn't help

I'd imagine the game being scheduled so close to Anzac Day and on a Sunday didn't help

It didn't stop the Tiger fans from turning up in big numbers, but it could be part of the problem. I probably wouldn't have gone on Sunday if I'd made it to the Anzac Day game.

The coach's votes for the game:

10 Trent Cotchin
8 Jeremy Howe
5 Dustin Martin
5 Tony Nankervis
1 Jayden Short
1 Adam Treloar

I didn't rate Cotchin's game so highly, thought Scharenberg might get a vote or two...but otherwise fair enough.

10 Trent Cotchin
8 Jeremy Howe
5 Dustin Martin
5 Tony Nankervis
1 Jayden Short
1 Adam Treloar

I didn't rate Cotchin's game so highly, thought Scharenberg might get a vote or two...but otherwise fair enough.
Treloar at 1??

Surely they're taking the piss.

10 Trent Cotchin
8 Jeremy Howe
5 Dustin Martin
5 Tony Nankervis
1 Jayden Short
1 Adam Treloar

they are taking the p1ss with martin. he was MIA until the flood gates opened in the last quarter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn't deserve to be beaten by the margin but so be it. To me the structure looks tons better than last year and a major part of that is not allowing opponents to walk the footy out of their backline. What could be a worry is that when Elliott and Fasolo play that tends to happen a lot. Maybe we can't play both together.
I would say it's more the fact that we now play a 6 man forward line rather than Buckley's 4 or 5 man one of the last 5 years, thank God for our new coaching panel

Tigers supporters were having a whinge about Howe getting the 8 votes. Laid out the facts for them about Howe before copping a thread ban on the Richmond board for profanities haha.

Not Missing Anything on that Feral Board

Two moron Richmond supporters called 3AW
First caller believed Dunn should’ve got 2 weeks for that late bump. If the Richmond player did drop like a bag of s**t and stood up, it wouldn’t have registered.
That cow forgot the Cotchin cheap shot on Treloar.
Then
Second caller another fuc—- shitmond supporter (Arthur you spud) on 3AW shortly after, said Pendlebury should get 6 weeks for this tagging tactics on dusty. Are these supporters all there?
Martin was not seen until the 30 minute mark of the last quarter.
I am at the stage of acceptance having given it a few days. But some words of shear condescension from my boss first thing Monday morning. Here are the highlights:

*Continues to blurt out "Go Tigers" knowing I am there* - I let this go. I respect her nonetheless.

"What were the Tigers doing? I was worried in the first three quarters!" - Implying they were fooling around with the pill, and letting us dominate? Highly unlikely. Just tough, close contest, where the regular 'champagne' football of Richmond was being stifled by Collingwood's determination.

"Richmond didn't even get out of second gear......" - This triggered me. I didn't say anything, but to imply she was worried, then to say they didn't even try, seems to suggest they will beat everyone. This attitude is dangerous, and reminds me of the opinion I harboured in 2011, when being young and ignorant I thought the Magpies would win by simply turning up, and instead we had our pants pulled down by an impressive Geelong outfit THREE times.

Their supporters are more feral than ours, make no mistake, and it's like giving a homeless person a slice of toast, and then he expects the whole loaf. One premiership means nothing, and take our example of 2010 when a very young Collingwood side had a chance to start a dynasty, and the succession plan aside, turned into shambles.

I recall being hopeful in 2010, the first game against Geelong, and we got done by six goals that night, with a late flurry from them. The feeling is very similar, complete devastation, but being older (though again, quite young compared to some of the wise sages herein) I am more circumspect, and find solace in the fact progress has been made already. We played Geelong the exact same round as we will Richmond this year, round 19 2010, and reversed the result. It only takes us to continue pushing. Richmond was scared today, you could sense it by their projecting, including that bloke that put his account on the line, saying he would delete if they lost? Okay buddy, move along.

I sensed in a disturbance in the force yesterday, and Richmond should be very worried. People make these comments in order to trigger their opposition, in order for us to react in anger and make rash decisions. I feel remaining calm and positive goes a long way to reconciling this. Karma is real, and these peanuts can keep talking all they want, for a Chinese proverb says:

"Empty vessels make the most noise"

Enough said. May the Magpie Prosper.

I would say it's more the fact that we now play a 6 man forward line rather than Buckley's 4 or 5 man one of the last 5 years, thank God for our new coaching panel
Could be the case also, however Elliott and Fasolo are 2 of the worst pressure forwards in the game statistics wise.
Although Crocker doesn't have the scoring impact of those two he does provide ground pressure. I would personally look at Elliott and Crocker up forward with Fasolo up for trade next year. With Hoskin Elliott a better team fit in my opinion.

Could be the case also, however Elliott and Fasolo are 2 of the worst pressure forwards in the game statistics wise.
Although Crocker doesn't have the scoring impact of those two he does provide ground pressure. I would personally look at Elliott and Crocker up forward with Fasolo up for trade next year. With Hoskin Elliott a better team fit in my opinion.
I'd be telling Faz that he has to run his butt off and get fit enough to take a turn in the midfield. I've always thought that Fasolo is a gun inside mid who hasn't done enough running to play the role, in much the same way as I always thought that Sidebottom was a gun inside mid who hadn't done enough weights for the role. I want Faz fit and he and Sidey changing out of the goal square. Unfortunately I can't see it happening.

.........I don't think we're a top 4 side because all three losses have come against sides who currently sit in the top 4, but I think we're in the mix to play finals if we can keep producing more of the same in the future.
but the team has really gelled and improved since the first 2 losses
... and after all vs tigers was AN HONORABLE LOSS!!! Seriously though, it was, more honorable than those of the past and jury sitll out of affect of the extra nights sleep, Melb v Ess game was a carbon copy in same scenario. REmember Harddick said we were best they had played this year and that included Hawks and Crows.

Maybe 3 nights sleep is beyond a sort of threshold, where recovery really suffers. I think it's rediculous to have 3 night recovery games (unless both teams had the same 3 night recovery but even then it puts players at increased risk so shouldn't be allowed - HELLO players association???), they could have arranged it better by making the Wednesday game part of the next round, then ESs and Coll could have both played at same time for the prev round resulting in the same recoverly time for Anzac, and a one day difference in recovery the game after wouldn't matter coz would have both had a very long break.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back