Not Giving In and Never Tear Us Apart (songs)

Boxx

Premiership Player
Mar 2, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys
I posted a reference to this in another thread... But, for me when this song came through the speakers as the players were in the Geof Motley race waiting to run out onto the ground AND the crowd all clapped and stamped their feet in time with the beat was nothing short of spine tingling!!!

I would love this to be played each week - up until the faster portion of the song kicks in.

With the same crowd involvement I reckon it will be a very intimidating feeling for the away team that would already be on the ground as well as letting our boys waiting in the race know that we are there waiting and ready for them to come out firing from the first bounce!!!

If the first part of the song was played then immediately broke into the Power song as the team ran out, I reckon it would sound amazing!!!

NTUA was awesome as well and could very well become a Port Adelaide institution and a massive part of our pre game.

Whoever is responsible for the song selections has got it so right.

Last edited:

PAFC04

Premiership Player
Mar 20, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Anything in Black'n'White
As they do in the EPL, we could adopt the INXS song they played and tweak the line a little to suit our needs....play the whole song as wee wait for the boys to come in and when they do, we then morph the song into the club song.....would love that.....!!

But there is another song that trumps this, and that is in another thread here, by John Schuman of Red Gum, do yourself a favour...youtube it..... you'll love it....brings tears of joy..... (it does for me everytime....its an emotional song if your a Port supporter....one that will have the Crows green as envy....

I also loved the way the Outer Army singing away at times, next time, I will park my butt next to them to join in.

But there is another song that trumps this, and that is in another thread here, by John Schuman of Red Gum, do yourself a favour...youtube it..... you'll love it....brings tears of joy..... (it does for me everytime....its an emotional song if your a Port supporter....one that will have the Crows green as envy....

It's alright, but wasn't fit for a stadium pump-up when they used it pregame back in 2007-8 and isn't now.

Boxx

Premiership Player
Mar 2, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys
Seemed to work pretty well on Saturday...

Boxx

Premiership Player
Mar 2, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys
That is the official video...

Feb 13, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I think we should stay away from a song specifically made for Port Adelaide ie the John Schuman one.

Instead go for something already existing that represents us, our attitude, and our pride in the club.

It also has to be slow enough but not to slow for people to actually sing along.

Feb 13, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
yes I wish we had footage of the pre game, was amazing... Hopefully the crowd keeps getting into the songs. I also laugh how we played "Not giving in", we really like the slogan we will never give up don't we :p

Overall Port nailed the pre game entertainment, hell even the Kickin' for Chicken wasn't that bad

Too bad they shanked nearly all of the shots :p

PAFC04

Premiership Player
Mar 20, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Anything in Black'n'White
I think we should stay away from a song specifically made for Port Adelaide ie the John Schuman one.

Instead go for something already existing that represents us, our attitude, and our pride in the club.

It also has to be slow enough but not to slow for people to actually sing along.

I don't know about you, but I think that song epitomises our club.......and with a 30k crowd, singing this song with lyrics on the big screen would be fitting....

This is the song I want to hear us sing.....with gusto!!

As I linked in a couple of threads - Simon Hill said chanting and singing was big in the UK but that it really took off in UK football when the Kop at Anfield started singing Beatles songs - basically saying the boys from Liverpool are changing the world with their music and our football boys are changing the game here. I linked the video showing 28,000 - all blokes in the Kop standing and swaying as they sang - she loves you. They adopted You'll Never Walk Alone a couple of year later because another Liverpool band Gerry and the Pacemakers took a 1940's Rogers and Hammerstein song from a musical and turned it into a world wide pop hit.

I agree following the Liverpool model and finding a non specific LFC song - but a great song from your backyard - be that Adelaide, SA or Oz, and making that the song your crowd connects with.

I do like John Schumann's Power to the People song - but the melody is a lot quicker than YNWA or NTUA and that's why its not as good for a huge crowd to sing.

I remember they played this at AO when we played Melbourne, with a video on the big screen. Wish the video had been uploaded by the club, can't seem to find it.

Feb 13, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
As I linked in a couple of threads - Simon Hill said chanting and singing was big in the UK but that it really took off in UK football when the Kop at Anfield started singing Beatles songs - basically saying the boys from Liverpool are changing the world with their music and our football boys are changing the game here. I linked the video showing 28,000 - all blokes in the Kop standing and swaying as they sang - she loves you. They adopted You'll Never Walk Alone a couple of year later because another Liverpool band Gerry and the Pacemakers took a 1940's Rogers and Hammerstein song from a musical and turned it into a world wide pop hit.

I agree following the Liverpool model and finding a non specific LFC song - but a great song from your backyard - be that Adelaide, SA or Oz, and making that the song your crowd connects with.

I do like John Schumann's Power to the People song - but the melody is a lot quicker than YNWA or NTUA and that's why its not as good for a huge crowd to sing.

This is pretty much what I'm trying to say but my brain isn't smart enough to do it in such perfection :thumbsu:

Feb 13, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I remember they played this at AO when we played Melbourne, with a video on the big screen. Wish the video had been uploaded by the club, can't seem to find it.

I know that 'feel' ;)

Spent months trying to find it but eventually gave up. I guess you could say I was giving in :eek:

I don't know about you, but I think that song epitomises our club.......and with a 30k crowd, singing this song with lyrics on the big screen would be fitting....

This is the song I want to hear us sing.....with gusto!!

There is no possibly way that would engage the younger supporter base that we have worked so hard to claim over our cross town rivals. A massive no for me, as good as what the song represents, it's a relic that does not get the blood pumping. Especially for the greater audience.

I've seen Hilltop Hoods songs used in sports video. I know Chase that Feeling and I Love It - the song with Sia have been used.

I don't know if their melody is slow enough but following the Liverpool mode its singing a local made song that has been played on the world stage and one of the band is a big port fan - Daniel Smith aka MC Pressure.

Would still love them do something like Steeler Nation

Jonts

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 7, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Flagstaff Hill FC, Tottenham
Not giving in would be awesome, but i think if we want everyone to sing it, i reckon we have more luck with With worlds collide for everyone singing

But as i posted in another thread

i reckon a simple

"Not giving in"

clap clap clap

"Not giving in"

clap clap clap

rinse and repeat

Trewth

shootin from the lip
Mar 21, 2011
amongst the rabble
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Knicks, Canucks, Raiders, St Pauli
The "Never Tear Us Apart" bit, with the drum break, gave me chills. I can definitely see it becoming our YNWA. It works perfectly the way they combine it with the Rudimental intro. I hope it becomes permanent.

I love how it was a complete surprise too, and the crowd embraced it straight away. This is how things like YNWA come into being, it's an organic process that starts in the outer naturally, not forced in a shed being led by an interstate marketing team. That's what makes our club great, powered by the people.

Ralph Lorenz

Premium Gold
Jan 19, 2012
Country VIC
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The "Never Tear Us Apart" bit, with the drum break, gave me chills. I can definitely see it becoming our YNWA. It works perfectly the way they combine it with the Rudimental intro. I hope it becomes permanent.

I love how it was a complete surprise too, and the crowd embraced it straight away. This is how things like YNWA come into being, it's an organic process that starts in the outer naturally, not forced in a shed being led by an interstate marketing team. That's what makes our club great, powered by the people.
I liked that the club didn't run around all social media outlets telling everyone we were gonna do this to gauge public reactions or gather a group to rehearse different concepts, we actually had the people in the right positions to be able to confidently stand up and say 'this is what we need to do' and passed it onto the next group of people in the right positions who executed it to perfection. There's your point of difference.

Back