Not Returning the ball to player after free kick awarded

Remove this Banner Ad

astrowizzle

Premiership Player
Jul 3, 2007
Nerrigundah
AFL Club
Essendon
This is one thing that just Craps me off about the AFL rules and umpiring. I am sick of players getting penalised then laying all over the ball and not allowing the awarded player access to it. Then they plop the ball on the ground, stand over it and prevent the player from getting to it. IMO it should be a50m penalty but the importers do sweet FA.

I think opposition grabbing players after a mark is a much bigger issue that needs to start being penalised.

Players are being held up constantly after being paid the mark, but for some reason it's become acceptable while standing the mark to hold onto the player for 1-2 seconds to halt momentum.

. It's when they place it on the ground and stand over it to impede the player getting to it. The afl wants a faster game then hand the bloody ball back or get penalized.
Most of the time they're trying to milk a reversal.

Stand over the ball, basically force your opponent to push you out of the way, then go down like you've been shot.

Most of the time the umps don't get sucked in, but I have seen it happen enough to encourage players to keep trying it.

The standing over the ball/blocking access to the ball should be such an easy 50 to call.

For the other ones where the player plops himself over the ball, the solution is simple. The player receiving the free kick has two options every time.

1 - gather the ball themselves and take the free kick, OR
2 - If the player that committed the offense is over the ball, clear the area immediately and it becomes the offenders responsibility to return the ball immediately, regardless of if they had the ball in their hand or not.

If the free kick recipient decides to wrestle the offender for the ball, then that's on them, they miss out on the opportunity to play on quickly.

Trickier when there's multiple players involved, but more commonly it's just two.

One of the many things the AFL could easily stamp out but they chose to go after things like players questioning free kicks in non abusive ways

Seem to have gone extra soft on the protected area rule as well, particularly in the middle of the ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think opposition grabbing players after a mark is a much bigger issue that needs to start being penalised.

Players are being held up constantly after being paid the mark, but for some reason it's become acceptable while standing the mark to hold onto the player for 1-2 seconds to halt momentum.

I don't think taking a mark awards you the right to advance unimpeded. If you take a mark the opposition should be allowed to hold you if you seem to be keen on playing on ahead. If the player starts retreating behind the mark to take his kick, yes let him go immediately, but if the player is trying to advance past the mark, absolutely the defender has the right to prevent him from doing so.

Most of the time they're trying to milk a reversal.

Stand over the ball, basically force your opponent to push you out of the way, then go down like you've been shot.

Most of the time the umps don't get sucked in, but I have seen it happen enough to encourage players to keep trying it.
Na from my experience they know chances are a reversal won’t be played it’s purely to just give your defenders time to push back and set up the defensive zone and man up
Especially if it’s done in the midfield and you have extra players on the wrong side of the contest

Just go hard and pay it all the time. Players will stop doing it instantly. I've always been of the same opinion. Don't feign to pick up the ball. Don't sit over the ball. Don't impede the player from getting it.

If you do it's 50. It's straight forward

Remove this Banner Ad

Back