Not so 'special'

Remove this Banner Ad

Bruce McAvaney reveals he is battling leukaemia
Alice Coster, Herald Sun
19 minutes ago
Subscriber only

BRUCE McAvaney, Australia’s leading sportscaster, has cancer.

McAvaney, turning 64 this year, revealed to the Herald Sun he was fighting leukaemia. But the Seven Network stalwart was quick to point out he was “living a complete life”.

“It is quite strange to say I have leukaemia because I feel well,” McAvaney said, although he did say the illness was partly behind his decision to quit calling the Australian Open tennis.

“Look it could be very serious,” he said of the Chronic Lymphocytic Leukaemia, or CLL, a type of blood cancer. “It could jump out of the ground at any moment. I don’t expect it will. But I’m living a complete life with no restrictions.”

He was diagnosed more than two years ago during a routine check-up when he returned an abnormal blood test. “It was a bit daunting,” he said of the two-week wait that followed to determine the cause.

McAvaney found himself fatigued at the end of last year after a blistering workload that included the AFL, the Rio Olympics and spring racing.

“It had been building for a little while. But last year was a bit of the straw that broke the camel’s back,” he said.

After his first summer spent at home in 27 years with wife Anne and son Sam, 22, and daughter Alex, 19, he’s now “rejuvenated” and raring to go for Thursday’s footy season kick-off.

“I can’t give the football up as it is 26 weeks of heaven,” he said, adding he was also excited about next year’s Commonwealth Games and the Winter Olympics before heading to Tokyo in 2020.

“Every morning I wake up and there is a football match to look forward to, there is a race meeting, there is an Olympic Games coming up, it’s ridiculous, but it’s the way I live.” Read tomorrow’s Herald Sun for the full story

Yeah I've not really got the hate for McAvaney by so many.

Passionate sports fan and (usually) excellent to listen to, especially compared to the clowns served up since.

I wish him and family the best in dealing with this illness.

Im not a real fan of his work since ch7 got the footy back but I wish this on no person and hope he beats it.

Yeah I've not really got the hate for McAvaney by so many.

Passionate sports fan and (usually) excellent to listen to, especially compared to the clowns served up since.

I wish him and family the best in dealing with this illness.
I'm with you - he is a legend. Good vibes!

Not in the least surprised to hear this on SEN this afternoon. He looked very haggard last year and I wondered if he was battling some illness.

I think he has on balance been a very good commentator, though some of his stuff has grated from time to time.

Like anyone with his situation, I hope he gets through this.

The King will always be his number one.

Loved the wintery Friday night calls of Bruce in the 90's that went along these lines...

"Stevens in and under, shovels out a little handpass to Schwass who's off and running through the centre and looking for Carey, neat kick.. GOT HIM!!"
"Oh the King he's a superstar!, isn't he? such a colossus!!"

All the best with the fight Bruce, you're certainly one of the greats, just like our former superstar captain.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back