Not Worth A Thread - Random Bulldog Discussion - Part 2

Dec 21, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Got this idea from the General Discussion board. Basically if you have a question or want to post something that isn't worth its own thread post it here.

If it doesn't catch on, well it is exactly the same as me creating a thread about this next question...

Is anyone going to the member VIP day? Also if I go with a non member can they enter but not purchase? any one know?

Got the little notice about it in the letterbox today. It's on Sun, 25th Oct.

I thought my bungalow was going to collapse it was shaking so much. I had just flushed the toilet and thought at first that maybe a pipe underneath had burst.
Some of those lucky meals you've had might just do that.

Coin Spot have signed on for another two years.

Timing is everything.

mr-krabs-shower.gif

Jeff 1975

Club Legend
Mar 29, 2018
Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I remember another one maybe 1976/77 in the evening. Our place was trembling and my dear wife ran outside to see what was happening. I think she was hoping to run into Charlton Heston. She took a kitchen knife with her, not sure that was going to be much use in an earthquake though :D

Pretty sure that was the one I remember
Went to bed early that evening, listened to it coming, then the bedroom rattled, and listened to it go
Weirdest thing

1632456741677.png

In accordance with State Government health orders, the Club wishes to advise that VU Whitten Oval will be closed to the public from 6pm on Saturday 24 September until 7am on Monday 27 September.

The Club encourages all fans that live within 10kms of Whitten Oval to be aware of, and to comply with, the directions of the Chief Health Officer.

Based on an increased likelihood of public gatherings at VU Whitten Oval over the Grand Final weekend, the decision was made to close the venue for the benefit of public health and safety.

Bulldogs fans are amongst the most loyal and passionate in the league, and it has been inspiring to see our heartland suburbs turn red, white and blue.

If the Club is successful in winning its third VFL/AFL Premiership against Melbourne at Optus Stadium on Saturday, we look forward to when we can gather together to celebrate what has been a truly historic and remarkable season.

I'm sure we will have a thread (perhaps it's a bit too early while we're still smarting from Sat night), but the B&F is on this Wed night don't forget. Might be close between Bont & Macrae - will be interesting. Anyway, I'm mostly interested in how the new President speaks after our GF fizzer outerer. Gordon used to be very straight down the line with what is expected and I'm wondering how our new Pres comes across. And Bevo will be interesting too I think. I'm assuming they will all be at an actual function - can't see what would stop that there now they are all out of quarantine. Anyway, just a reminder.

footscray1973

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Pepperland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
With Gardner: 8-1
Without Gardner: 7-7

The only loss we had all year with Gardner was to Geelong after the siren. 5 of the wins were against finals teams

So we lost the game at selection again!

We'll never know, but in hindsight Keath/Gardner/Cordy might have worked better than Keath/Cordy/Wood.
We were never dropping Wood though, rightly or wrongly.

badkicking

Senior List
Aug 4, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
With Gardner: 8-1
Without Gardner: 7-7

The only loss we had all year with Gardner was to Geelong after the siren. 5 of the wins were against finals teams
Interesting statistic, also interesting Cordy would have played in almost all our losing games, when will they wake up he is not AFL standard, he didn't make a lot of obvious mistakes on Saturday night, but was just too slow. You cannot win a premiership with Zaine Cordy as a key defender.

cherrypie

Club Legend
Oct 28, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Interesting statistic, also interesting Cordy would have played in almost all our losing games, when will they wake up he is not AFL standard, he didn't make a lot of obvious mistakes on Saturday night, but was just too slow. You cannot win a premiership with Zaine Cordy as a key defender.
You’re actually right that Zaine played in every loss. So 7-0 without him, 3 of those against finals teams.

11-8 in total with Cordy. 4-6 against finals teams.

Anybody else suffering withdrawal symptoms at about 6:25pm every Thursday?

View attachment 1255156
Well it wasn’t quite cold turkey, would have been worse if we’d finished ninth. I’m ready for a rest, recharge the brain then turn on the cricket for a few months. It’ll be preseason before we know it.

Well it wasn’t quite cold turkey, would have been worse if we’d finished ninth. I’m ready for a rest, recharge the brain then turn on the cricket for a few months. It’ll be preseason before we know it.
Yes, making the GF takes a whole month out of the off-season. :)

I've just read the latest Quarterly Essay ("Top Blokes - The Larrikin Myth, Class and Power" by Lech Blaine). It's well worth a read ... but that's beside the point.

I was most disturbed to read this background on Scott Morrison (about 10 years before he discovered NRL and that wearing a Sharks scarf was a vote-winner):

In 2006, Bruce Baird tapped Scott Morrison on the shoulder to replace him as Liberal MP for Cook, the home of Puberty Blues, Andrew Ettingshausen and the Cronulla riots. Baird was evidently a man of deep faith: Morrison had been given the flick from the last two government jobs that Baird recommended him for. After leaving Tourism Australia, Morrison oversaw Peter Debnam’s disastrous bid to become NSW premier. The trouble wasn’t just his patchy work record but winning sympathy from strangers.
The list of personal interests on Morrison’s curriculum vitae must have been a red flag for branch members in Cronulla: “Church (Hillsong Church, Waterloo), Family, Politics, Reading (biography, travel, history, Australian fiction), Kayaking, Rugby (Randwick, Waratahs), AFL (Western Bulldogs).”
I almost had an existential crisis when I read that last bit.

However the WB seem to have slipped from his consciousness in recent years. So I guess I'll be renewing my membership after all.

D Mitchell

Premiership Player
Jul 28, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Football Club
Finally getting to wear the Collingwood jumper, good on him.
I can't recall the poster but some wag posted, at the beginning of all this, when the controversy of the disappearing toilet paper erupted that he/she would revert to using a Collingwood Jumper instead.

Back