Not Worth A Thread - Random Bulldog Discussion - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Sweet GIF
We have a winner!!

Bound to raise the blood pressure of a few ...

View attachment 1483970

Interesting. Would be informative to list opposition they faced in their careers (just thinking out loud dogwatch, not actually asking you too).
Dempsey played in era of some outstanding rucks. Surprised Purser is higher than Wynd, and even Hampshire and Darcy, given how short he was, I always saw his strength as his mobility. I think it was Jim Sewell I heard say once Purser was deceptively strong in the core for his build.

Interesting. Would be informative to list opposition they faced in their careers (just thinking out loud dogwatch, not actually asking you too).
Dempsey played in era of some outstanding rucks. Surprised Purser is higher than Wynd, and even Hampshire and Darcy, given how short he was, I always saw his strength as his mobility. I think it was Jim Sewell I heard say once Purser was deceptively strong in the core for his build.
What I took out of it was that Bevo doesn't rate the top three ruckmen on that list. :think:

What I took out of it was that Bevo doesn't rate the top three ruckmen on that list. :think:
I suspect he'd rate peak Luke Darcy - just as mobile as English, good playing forward, and a more aggressive ruck. Imagine if young Sam developed into anything like 2001-2004 Luke!

Purser was excellent for his size and was rewarded with the 1984 Best and Fairest. A little known fact is that he was a number 1 draft pick in the long forgotten 1982 VFL interstate draft; it was great we got such a good player our of such a wretched year.

Brad Hardie was actually picked at number 16 in that draft by Geelong but fortunately he did not take up their offer. A year earlier they had picked Tony McGuinness and the same thing happened!

I think a big reason why Purser's hitout average was so high is that he came across from WA readymade as 24 year old and he spent his whole VFL career playing as the lone ruckman with little support. In contrast, Wynd and Darcy both debuted as teenagers and they rucked together for five seasons whilst Hampshire was the second ruck to Dempsey for his first three seasons at the club.

...Brad Hardie was actually picked at number 16 in that draft by Geelong but fortunately he did not take up their offer. A year earlier they had picked Tony McGuinness and the same thing happened!

I think a big reason why Purser's hitout average was so high is that he came across from WA readymade as 24 year old and he spent his whole VFL career playing as the lone ruckman with little support. In contrast, Wynd and Darcy both debuted as teenagers and they rucked together for five seasons whilst Hampshire was the second ruck to Dempsey for his first three seasons at the club.
That's news to me, Hardie and Purser. Well done recruitment committee. They were a cream crop from WA. Tt's the nature of the game, stoppages were nowhere near as frequent in the 70s to 90s so Dempsey, Hampshire, even Wynd and Darcy didn't get the opportunities that Sweet gets.

Last edited:
Bound to raise the blood pressure of a few ...

View attachment 1483970
I see your hit outs per game and raise you hit outs to advantage as a % of hit outs and of attendances and also how often the taps are sharked by the opposition (as at 01/06/2022).

Clearances would also factor into it as would tackles but it's too early on a Sunday morning .......

1661030807852.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So what this table clearly illustrates is that there are a lot more stoppages and Ruck contests than there used to be?
Could well be. Maybe someone can dig out the stat that will show that.
I haven't tried to explain it. There could be a number of reasons, not all of which would lead one to the conclusion that Sweet is our best tap ruckman ever. ;)

I just thought it was amusing and worth posting given the long-running discussions about our rucks, and Sweet in particular.

7:30 Report on ABC has a story on brain injury among sportsmen coming up very shortly. Mainly AFL I think.

Thought I’d mention it for anyone interested.
The story was broadly about concerns over CTE in AFL footballers. They used Shane Tuck as a case study - and the human interest hook to get you paying attention. That's te usual technique of working from the specific to the more general. They interviewed Tuck's sister, as well as some frustrated researchers.

Nothing conclusive but the main take-out seemed to be the AFL gives plenty of lip service to collaborating with researchers and neurologists but provides very little follow up. Hinting that they may in fact be obstructing progress in this area. That would be concerning.

I suspect there will be some follow-up stories coming ...

I'll see if I can post a link later on when they post 7:30 Report segments on their website. It's an issue that affects every footy player and fan, whether they like it or not.

The story was broadly about concerns over CTE in AFL footballers. They used Shane Tuck as a case study - and the human interest hook to get you paying attention. That's te usual technique of working from the specific to the more general. They interviewed Tuck's sister, as well as some frustrated researchers.

Nothing conclusive but the main take-out seemed to be the AFL gives plenty of lip service to collaborating with researchers and neurologists but provides very little follow up. Hinting that they may in fact be obstructing progress in this area. That would be concerning.

I suspect there will be some follow-up stories coming ...

I'll see if I can post a link later on when they post 7:30 Report segments on their website. It's an issue that affects every footy player and fan, whether they like it or not.

While we aren’t as litigious a country as the United States (and at least using your head as a battering ram isn’t the point in footy like it is in grid iron), can’t help but feel there’s some kind of storm brewing. Our own response to players getting concussions has changed greatly since Picko. And even then I’m sure the club is hoping he stays away from aggressive lawyers 10+ years down the track. And it could get painful if superstars start copping weeks of suspensions for acts that nobody would have thought twice about 10 years ago, and likewise if stars are forced to miss, say, a month of footy due to a concussion if that’s what the rules get to.

Our response now is the right one and we can point to giving Tim, Hannan, Scott plenty of time off. The AFL trying to pin Cordy with…something for laying out that GWS player is the same. It was always going to be futile but they needed to make a point after the Cripps stuff up (incompetence that could really hurt the afl down the line).

It’s a rock and a hard place as concussions are impossible to eliminate from footy. And they may well be more common than the teams let on. The physical nature of the game combined with the 360 play/movement is what makes it stand out but also what leaves players susceptible to head knocks. All the AFL can do is get increasingly punitive with suspensions, but that’s more to cover their arses legally than to protect players.

I guess all they can and should do is to continue to define and tighten up rules so Cripps situations don’t happen, and provide adequate post-career healthcare for concussions, even if it takes 20+ years for symptoms to really show. But if the AFL is dragging it’s feet it could get ugly for all.

What a shite year!

Bont was tipped to win the Brownlow and he didn’t even make the AA team.
I thought we would have been fired up for revenge, instead we scrape in for finals, and will probably get belted in the first one, which most of us can’t get to in person.
Our game plan is crap.
Dunks is looking likely to leave.
Our recent picks outside the first round have been average at best.
Our trading has been woeful.
Sydney have made top four courtesy of a list being put together by our ex draft guru.
Our assistants are crap.
Our VFL side didn’t even make finals, after being unbeaten last year.
The AFLW list was pillaged again, and we are being totally ignored as any chance to make finals.

It feels like this club is being driven into the ground.

To make matters worse, Geelong and Melbourne, Sydney and Richmond, one of them is likely to win the premiership and are looking to get even stronger through trading.

Its enough to make you feel like giving AFL away. :huh:

What a shite year!

Bont was tipped to win the Brownlow and he didn’t even make the AA team.
I thought we would have been fired up for revenge, instead we scrape in for finals, and will probably get belted in the first one, which most of us can’t get to in person.
Our game plan is crap.
Dunks is looking likely to leave.
Our recent picks outside the first round have been average at best.
Our trading has been woeful.
Sydney have made top four courtesy of a list being put together by our ex draft guru.
Our assistants are crap.
Our VFL side didn’t even make finals, after being unbeaten last year.
The AFLW list was pillaged again, and we are being totally ignored as any chance to make finals.

It feels like this club is being driven into the ground.

To make matters worse, Geelong and Melbourne, Sydney and Richmond, one of them is likely to win the premiership and are looking to get even stronger through trading.

Its enough to make you feel like giving AFL away. :huh:
2014 was a s**t year, two years later we were premiers. It turns quickly. Keep the faith Drb.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back