Not Worth A Thread - Random Bulldog Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because people keep replying and igniting the same argument time after time.
Yeah righto, always everyone else's fault even though if a single element was removed from the equation it'd be problem solved. I was going to make an analogy that could've been taken to be quite offensive but having thought it over I think I'd better just leave it. I'm done talking about this now. Really over it.

2 wins and 1 loss for me. How I'd love to get to more games! :(

So I managed to get to 14 games this year (including the last 3 finals).

Our W/L record in those games: 13 wins (and of course a premiership, **** yeah), 1 loss.

Fair to say I'm mostly pretty happy with my game attendance selection this season.
Which game was the loss?

2 wins and 1 loss for me. How I'd love to get to more games! :(

Which game was the loss?

The North Melbourne game early in the season...Wasn't quite as happy after that one as I was every other that's for sure. But a distant memory now though!

The USAFL national championships were held in Sarasota Florida this past weekend. Just an hour and a half away from me. Two days of footy on five fields with four men's divisions, two women's divisions, Cooper's Ale and Four N Twenty Pies. I made the trip up for Sunday's games to support my friends from the Fort Lauderdale Fighting Squids. They did not do so well, but they gave it a good effort. They are struggling at the moment to get players, so if any of you happen to have any friends that live in that area get them to sign up. Especially if they are Dogs supporters, it would be nice to have more Bulldogs at the Grand Final party.:) I also watched the Denver Bulldogs play a division 1 contest against the New York Magpies. The Doggies won, of course. The division 1 skill levels were actually better than I had expected. There was some darn good footy being played with the Doggies, like their namesakes, hard at the contest and very quick and clean by hand. Unfortunately these Dogs did not make the final this year, if only they'd had Libba. It was the Austin Crows winning out over the Golden Gate Roos in the final. So I woke up this morning with a slight hangover and a slight sunburn, but it was all worth it.

What's the Scotty West and Simon Cox story from back in the day? I've seen it mentioned on this site a few times and I have no idea what happened. Or allegedly happened.

Alleged Westy did the dirty with Coxs' misses. Never believed it but who knows.
If true someone did an amazing job to keep it in house, especially seeing as it involved one of our very best players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did Isaac Smith help us win the flag with that missed kick after the siren?

He slots that, we play Geelong (the only team we didn't beat this year) and who knows...
We didn't beat Hawthorn or GWS until finals this year. Why wouldn't we have beaten Geelong?

We didn't beat Hawthorn or GWS until finals this year. Why wouldn't we have beaten Geelong?

We hadn't lost to them twice either.

It's purely hypothetical but Geelong have been our bogey.

PS - it's so nice to hear Bruce creaming himself at everything Hawthorn do in this game just willing them to win

We hadn't lost to them twice either.

It's purely hypothetical but Geelong have been our bogey.

PS - it's so nice to hear Bruce creaming himself at everything Hawthorn do in this game just willing them to win
I mean before the semi the last time we beat Hawthorn was 2010. I'd call that a bogey side too.

Anyway, what does it matter? We won the ******* flag! And that's all that matters!

Just watching the 360 post GF edition with Gerald saying the video should not have been used to over rule JJ's goal because 'you can't use a two dimensional image to judge what happens in a three dimensional world' or whatever. I know it was crap that it was disallowed, but it seems to me it was a fair decision?? Thoughts?

Just watching the 360 post GF edition with Gerald saying the video should not have been used to over rule JJ's goal because 'you can't use a two dimensional image to judge what happens in a three dimensional world' or whatever. I know it was crap that it was disallowed, but it seems to me it was a fair decision?? Thoughts?
Whateley said the technology was not meant to be used that way. I wasn't happy with the player coming from behind the line. Can a player make any sort of play coming from a position that is out of bounds?

Whateley said the technology was not meant to be used that way. I wasn't happy with the player coming from behind the line. Can a player make any sort of play coming from a position that is out of bounds?
It seems ok to me - if you can run outside the line with ball in hand but keeping it in, sort of the same principle. I was wondering more about the technology tho. What does he want a vertical view as well? I don't get the objection about the view.

Poor decision because it doesn't show where the line was in comparison to the thickness of the ball. The ball is looks bigger because it's closer to the camera and the line is further away so it's hard to tell whether it was just on it or behind it. So it isn't clearly not a goal, thus the umpire's decision should stand remembering that the rule is that you need to conclusively prove that the initial call was wrong and that footage wasn't conclusive.
A vertical view probably would be more conclusive but the umpire was in perfect position to make the call and called a goal so I'm going with him.

Poor decision because it doesn't show where the line was in comparison to the thickness of the ball. The ball is looks bigger because it's closer to the camera and the line is further away so it's hard to tell whether it was just on it or behind it. So it isn't clearly not a goal, thus the umpire's decision should stand remembering that the rule is that you need to conclusively prove that the initial call was wrong and that footage wasn't conclusive.
A vertical view probably would be more conclusive but the umpire was in perfect position to make the call and called a goal so I'm going with him.
I'm not sure if there was other footage but I thought the same watching the game on tv - looked close but couldn't definitively say it went over (or not) so surely the umps call stays.

I can't see that this would make any difference to being able to judge whether it was over the line. As long as the camera is in line with the centres of both the line and the posts, the distance from the ball and the line should not change the position the ball appears to be in relation to the line. Try it by putting something on the edge of a bench and looking at it from different heights and angles.

I can't see that this would make any difference to being able to judge whether it was over the line. As long as the camera is in line with the centres of both the line and the posts, the distance from the ball and the line should not change the position the ball appears to be in relation to the line. Try it by putting something on the edge of a bench and looking at it from different heights and angles.
Firstly the camera isn't exactly in the centre of the line. Secondly the angle of the ball in relation to the camera obfuscates the edge of the line. And the ball is closer to the camera than the far part of the line we see making it appear bigger while also being further away from the near part of the line which appears thicker. 2d image of a 3d world doesn't work. Has to be more clear cut than this.
901c43c7937fbee9c2e5aebe0609ab4e.jpg

For example if you look at the image below the 3d representation is still drawn in 2d making it look like the circle sits right on the y axis (ignoring the cube that says otherwise) and really far away from the x axis. But we know from the other representation that it is equally distant from both. It's just a problem with that type of representation.
images.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back