Not Worth A Thread - Random Bulldog Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
‘West’ might be a problem too.... we need to be as inclusive as possible.... perhaps we will change it to middle!
“Kids of the Middle”. Now we are getting somewhere.

"Anyone/anything from anywhere, Red, White & Blue"

We signed on for a further 5 years with ASICS. I don’t mind it as it’s an exclusive partnership that nobody else in the AFL has and offers more than just jumper design and development. They’re a class act company and will offer heaps of other opportunities for us going forward imo.

‘West’ might be a problem too.... we need to be as inclusive as possible.... perhaps we will change it to middle!
“Kids of the Middle”. Now we are getting somewhere.
Ageist! :mad:

"Peopleofallagescoloursreligionsgenderssocioeconomicgroups of the EastWestNorthSouth,
Red White and Blue, or any colour you prefer
We come out smiling or frowning or crying or laughing, depending on the vibe
Bulldogs, Cavoodles, Bitsers and lots of breeds, through and through
Bulldogs bite but we don't mean it, bulldogs roar - gently - we give our very best, (except for the whipping boys who don't try)
But you can't beat the vast range of people of the Bulldog or other breeds, the team of the mighty - wherever you'd like them to be."

"Peopleofallagescoloursreligionsgenderssocioeconomicgroups of the EastWestNorthSouth,
Bulldogs bite but we don't mean it, bulldogs roar - gently - we give our very best, (except for the whipping boys who don't try)
But you can't beat the vast range of people of the Bulldog or other breeds, the team of the mighty - wherever you'd like them to be."

;) Some good material here to add to your arsenal:

Not sure about the reference to beating the opposition - sets a bad example for children. This concept has been rightfully remedied in the more junior competitions where scores are not recorded

Does anyone have any experience/knowledge about manuka oval? Wanting to go to the game in CBR in round 6 as moved up here this year, is the hill the best place to watch the game from? Is it usually easy to get tickets? Cheers!

Does anyone have any experience/knowledge about manuka oval? Wanting to go to the game in CBR in round 6 as moved up here this year, is the hill the best place to watch the game from? Is it usually easy to get tickets? Cheers!
I usually arrange tickets through the club (anything to avoid dealing with ticketmaster/ticketek) ... but who knows how it'll work this year? Maybe the special arrangements for 2021 will mean we have no choice. I'll seriously consider not going if I have to deal with the ticketing agencies. I despise them that much.

Getting tix through the club usually means I get seats near the cheer squad or in front of the main scoreboard which is not my preferred viewing point but it'll do.

Barring further outbreaks I'd expect them to allow 100% capacity at the ground because they are doing that for the Brumbies and Raiders games (I think).

I can't recall what time the game is but if it's a late afternoon or twilight game then the west-facing seats are to be avoided. That includes the Hill I think. Check out the seating map for bearings. On a cloudless day you are staring straight into the sun low on the horizon.

For pre-game heartstarters and postgame celebrations there are a few nearby drinking holes but that can be discussed a bit closer to the day. I don't normally go to them but I could be open to having my arm twisted ...

It's a Friday night game. I went to the same fixture back in 2017 and my one word of advice is to pack warm clothing, it was the coldest I've been at a football game and this was also in April.

It's a Friday night game. I went to the same fixture back in 2017 and my one word of advice is to pack warm clothing, it was the coldest I've been at a football game and this was also in April.

Thanks for the advice! Looking forward to it, have been to a few chilly Ballarat matches and have enjoyed it, hope it's similar.

Tell them you are a Giants fan and they will give and your extended family tickets.
Generally the ground is only half full.
And yes as Sentinel says , can get very chilly 🥶

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ah Manuka. People complain about how cold our Ballarat games have been, and by golly the scheduling in the first few years coincided with air coming straight off the polar ice-caps and into Mars Stadium. But Manuka (and the Tassie grounds) are on a par at times. Nice contrast to the balmy viewing at Darwin and Cairns.

Ah Manuka. People complain about how cold our Ballarat games have been, and by golly the scheduling in the first few years coincided with air coming straight off the polar ice-caps and into Mars Stadium. But Manuka (and the Tassie grounds) are on a par at times. Nice contrast to the balmy viewing at Darwin and Cairns.
Anybody who goes to the footy in Ballarat in the months April - September and who does not wear their scarf, beanie, gloves and a warm coat deserves everything that they get. 🥶 I think that by now most of the out-of-town WBFC diehards/tragics who have ventured to watch the team play in Ballarat since 2017 know that the Winter weather there can be very unpredictable on a given day. In Ballarat in the months May - September you can have the sun streaming down and a dark blue sky above without a cloud in sight, and it will still only be about 12 degrees. If it's drizzling, then it generally tends to be not as cold, but if it's forecast to be windy, then make sure that you rug up and you'll have no problems. 😉

One thing that you can count on through the footy season in Ballarat is that the wind WILL come streaming in from the Southern end of the ground which ATM is totally unprotected by stands, trees or even a hill.

The contrast of weather can be stunning, consider that the first game played there in August 2017 was as good as anybody could have hoped for, the weather Gods smiled kindly that day and it was a marvellous day at the footy for all who went:

r0_120_5388_3149_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Contrast that to eleven months later when the AFL scheduled a twilight game on a Sunday afternoon in July 2018 and Ballarat's weather almost fully unleashed (Only because it didn't snow). It rained in the days preceding the game, it rained throughout the game, hailed and a constant 25 knot wind blew across the ground throughout the day. Added to that, the ground's VFL grade lighting coupled with temporary lighting put there on the day struggled to penetrate the rain and it made viewing almost impossible to the other side of the ground. It was enough to convince nearly 4000 who'd pre-booked to attend the game (who were allocated to the hill) to stay home and convinced the local Council that things had to be done pretty urgently. People don't mind standing on grass hills when the weather is sunny, but when it's wet and cold and there is absolutely nowhere to get a reprieve except a portaloo, then it's pretty damn bad.

They are making some improvements worth about $3 million from an allocated improvement fund of $6.6 million of which some will come on line by the second game later this year in early August and all of the latest round of improvements (illustrated below) will be fully completed by early 2022:

mars_stadium_works.jpg

That said, even with these improvements certain limitations to this ground will linger for some time to come (Public Transport, limited spectator covered seating etc.) and I suspect that we will have to wait until the next State Election for a third stage of significant building to be announced. At least there remains approximately $3-$3.5 mil in the kitty which I understand the Council are keen (Particularly with Mayor Daniel Maloney who's been a strong champion of the stadium since its inception) to see the lighting issues fixed. That won't be cheap and will require between $4-$5 million to fix.

By the design of the new hill terrace, I would be bold enough to suggest that this terrace may become the first six rows of a new Eastern Stand in 2025/26.

For those of you who go to the April 10 game you will see what I mean about the new standing terrace considering that it has the same pitch as the adjacent stands and the steps evenly spaced to allow for installation of seats in the future. These steps would align back to tunnels at some point in the future which would be the future entry/exit points to a new stand and by cutting away the rear of the hill they can create the rear 17 rows of future seating and install a roof … voila - a virtually instant and relatively cheap grandstand.

Last edited:
I actually wore shorts to one of our early games in Ballarat. Sun was shining - not with any warmth, but enough for me. Since we've moved to the general area, my kids have consistently worn summer uniforms to school, as do most ballarat school kids anyway. The cold is just a state of mind. When it snowed at our place last year, we were all outside in shorts. The best way to counteract the wind at Mars is a shot of grappa or similar before heading to the game. Works a treat.

I actually wore shorts to one of our early games in Ballarat. Sun was shining - not with any warmth, but enough for me. Since we've moved to the general area, my kids have consistently worn summer uniforms to school, as do most ballarat school kids anyway. The cold is just a state of mind. When it snowed at our place last year, we were all outside in shorts. The best way to counteract the wind at Mars is a shot of grappa or similar before heading to the game. Works a treat.
A shot of grappa ... I like your thinking. Personally I also recommend a few shots of Johnnie Walker to prevent being bitten by local brown, tiger or copperhead snakes when attending Ballarat games, because I swear that I have never been bitten by a snake after I've drunk it. :thumbsupv1:

Switch to Bushmills. Not only will your snakes not bite you, they'll get a sniff and take off thinking you are St Patrick come to drive them out.
Not often I agree with you DM, but on this occasion ... Slainte!

How do tickets work if I want to go to the footy with some non dogs members? Want to go to the Good Friday game with some mates, how do we sit together?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back