Not Worth A Thread - Random Bulldog Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Matthew Croft and Simon Garlick played their last match together at what must have been one of the last AFL matches at Princes Park. A very enjoyable rare Bulldogs victory in a s**t season, much enlivened by Fev having a massive hissy sook because he didn't like the delivery from the Carlton mids.

I can't quite work out why we club members didn't vote in the new board. Maybe they've changed the rules.

Matthew Croft and Simon Garlick played their last match together at what must have been one of the last AFL matches at Princes Park. A very enjoyable rare Bulldogs victory in a **** season, much enlivened by Fev having a massive hissy sook because he didn't like the delivery from the Carlton mids.

I can't quite work out why we club members didn't vote in the new board. Maybe they've changed the rules.

Except they didn't....

He had a long career with the Western Bulldogs[1] before retiring in 2004. The balding Croft only received three senior appearances with the team in his final year, much to his dismay, as he was performing admirably in the VFL in defence with the Werribee Tigers. The Bulldogs agreed to allow him and fellow veteran Simon Garlick one final appearance in the Round 21 game against the Kangaroos, in which Croft booted 5 goals up forward, in a matchwinning performance.

Braybrook Son

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 4, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Except they didn't....

He had a long career with the Western Bulldogs[1] before retiring in 2004. The balding Croft only received three senior appearances with the team in his final year, much to his dismay, as he was performing admirably in the VFL in defence with the Werribee Tigers. The Bulldogs agreed to allow him and fellow veteran Simon Garlick one final appearance in the Round 21 game against the Kangaroos, in which Croft booted 5 goals up forward, in a matchwinning performance.
I was gonna say, it was at Docklands, cause I was there and also remember Croft kicking 5 at full forward against lol Norf

Oh well, old man memory! It must have been close to the end. I stood next to Simon Garlick's mum

WTF am I talking about? That game was Rd 9 2002 and only Garlick played not Crofty. I used to drink a lot at the footy in 2002.

Last edited:

Yojimbo

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 14, 2012
The "Elephant" in the room.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Mid Season Review (No Nudity) Top Fives:

Kicks:
1- Daniel 195
2- Bont 164
3- Hunter 153
4- Macrae 135
5- Lloyd 129

Handballs:
1- Macrae 193
2- Dunkley 144
3- Hunter 143
4- Libba 139
5- Bont 132

Disposals:
1- Macrae 328
2- Daniel 299
3- Bont 296
4- Hunter 296
5- Dunkley 262

Contested Possession:
1- Macrae 139
2- Bont 133
3- Libba 132
4- Dunkley 129
5- Wallis 89

Uncontested Possession:
1- Hunter 235
2- Macrae 194
3- Daniel 182
4- Bont 174
5- Wallis 139

Effective Disposal %:
1- Johannisen 83.7
2- Daniel 82.6
3- B.Smith 81.4
4- Cordy 81.3
5- Crozier 80.6

Clangers:
1- Bont 37
2- Daniel 36
3- Macrae 34
4- Libba 30
5- Wallis 30

Marks:
1- Hunter 78
2- Naughton 62
3- Crozier 61
4- Lloyd 57
5- Bont 54

Contested Marks:
1- Naughton 26
2- Bont 9
3- Gowers 9
4- Crozier 8
5- Lloyd 7

Marks Inside 50:
1- Naughton 24
2- Lloyd 19
3- Gowers 18
4- Dickson 13
5- McLean 12

Hit Outs:
1- English 164
2- Trengove 57
3- Cordy 20
4- Schache 4
5- Naughton 2

Clearances:
1- Bont 65
2- Libba 65
3- Macrae 44
4- Dunkley 44
5- Wallis 44

Centre Clearances:
1- Bont 30
2- Libba 28
3- Wallis 19
4- Dunkley 15
5- Macrae 12

Stoppage Clearances:
1- Libba 37
2- Bont 35
3- Macrae 32
4- Dunkley 29
5- Wallis 25

Rebound 50:
1- Daniel 70
2- Crozier 36
3- Suckling 33
4- Hunter 29
5- Johannisen 29

Inside 50:
1- Bont 56
2- Hunter 49
3- Macrae 41
4- Libba 41
5- Wallis 40

Tackles:
1- Dunkley 59
2- Libba 50
3- Macrae 45
4- B.Smith 41
5- Bont 39

One Percenters:
1- Cordy 69 (Dude)
2- Wood 67
3- Crozier 44
4- English 38
5- Daniel 33

Bounces:
1- Hunter 21
2- Johannisen 12
3- Daniel 7
4- Suckling 5
5- Richards 4

Goals:
1- Naughton 17
2- Lloyd 17
3- Gowers 13
4- Bont 10
5- Dickson 8

Behinds:
1- Bont 17
2- Gowers 14
3- Naughton 13
4- Lloyd 13
5- Libba 7

Goal Assists:
1- Macrae 10
2- Bont 9
3- Johannisen 9
4- Dunkley 7
5- Lloyd 7

AFL Fantasy Points:
1- Bont 1,135 (* +100)
2- Macrae 1,115 (* +100)
3- Hunter 1,079
4- Dunkley 1,052
5- Daniel 1,021

What happened to the club's Mid Season Review? I thought it was going to be on 4 June.
Is that correct?
Did anyone go?
If so, what happened? There was some reporting of Gordon being in his last term as Prez, and Garlick joining the board. Was this announced at the same event?

Ridley This

Team Captain
Oct 28, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Hi all. Quick one that bobbed up for me during the week, that I have no clue about but I'm sure many of you do.

How was the 1996 National Draft order decided? There appears to have been some kind of ballot draw, but I'm struggling to find any details on how or why.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1996_AFL_draft

Obviously there was was the Bears / Lions merger and Port entering the comp. But how did that lead to West Coast, who finished 4th that year, getting the 1st overall pick? Brisbane finished 3rd and received pick 3. Yet the Dogs who finished second last in a god-awful season got Pick 10. Total nonsense.

_M_16_

Premiership Player
Nov 26, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liv FC, LA Rams, Pitt Pen, Michigan
Hi all. Quick one that bobbed up for me during the week, that I have no clue about but I'm sure many of you do.

How was the 1996 National Draft order decided? There appears to have been some kind of ballot draw, but I'm struggling to find any details on how or why.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1996_AFL_draft

Obviously there was was the Bears / Lions merger and Port entering the comp. But how did that lead to West Coast, who finished 4th that year, getting the 1st overall pick? Brisbane finished 3rd and received pick 3. Yet the Dogs who finished second last in a god-awful season got Pick 10. Total nonsense.

The answer was largely on the page you were on. Pretty much our pick ended up being shuffled back, from pick one, due to Port Adelaides introduction to the league, and then further back as the result of compensation picks awarded to teams who had players poached.

Port Adelaide zone selections[edit]
As part of Port Adelaide's entry to the AFL they were entitled to recruit some uncontracted players from other AFL clubs and players from the SANFL prior to the national draft. Clubs that lost players were entitled to compensation selections before both the first and second rounds of the 1996 national draft.

Uncontracted player selection[edit]

I'm assuming Port Adelaide were given the first four picks in the draft, in the same way GWS and GC were given a kick start. Following Port signing Uncontracted players from other clubs, those clubs were given compensation picks for the uncontracted players lost that Port were given access to, as mentioned above, in the form of picks before the first and second rounds. Thus Port Adelaide's picks 1-4, were bumped up to 6-9 in the draft order after the compensation picks were given, 5 players were picked from other teams. They then traded pick 8 to Geelong for contracted players. In the end Bulldogs original pick 5 ended up becoming pick 10.

In the end, we ended up with arguably the best player in that draft in Nathan Brown. So it worked out okay in the end.

Last edited:
The answer was largely on the page you were on. Pretty much our pick ended up being shuffled back, from pick one, due to Port Adelaides introduction to the league, and then further back as the result of compensation picks awarded to teams who had players poached.

Port Adelaide zone selections[edit]
As part of Port Adelaide's entry to the AFL they were entitled to recruit some uncontracted players from other AFL clubs and players from the SANFL prior to the national draft. Clubs that lost players were entitled to compensation selections before both the first and second rounds of the 1996 national draft.

Uncontracted player selection[edit]

I'm assuming Port Adelaide were given the first four picks in the draft, in the same way GWS and GC were given a kick start. Following Port signing Uncontracted players from other clubs, those clubs were given compensation picks for the uncontracted players lost that Port were given access to, as mentioned above, in the form of picks before the first and second rounds. Thus Port Adelaide's picks 1-4, were bumped up to 6-9 in the draft order after the compensation picks were given, 5 players were picked from other teams. They then traded pick 8 to Geelong for contracted players. In the end Bulldogs original pick 5 ended up becoming pick 10.

In the end, we ended up with arguably the best player in that draft in Nathan Brown. So it worked out okay in the end.

Pick 1 compo for Ian Doensborough....

With round 12 over, I am reminded of Tony Leonard's quote on the Coodabeen's show after we had the bye in 1991, "Well, at least we didn't lose."
Percentage booster

Dec 29, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Am flying over to the round 14 game v Collingwood. Just went to get tickets did not realise apparently certain games are called dynamic games and the prices are increased meaning a $12 increase on what I paid last time and also you can’t use a concession in certain areas.
How long has this been happening for?
Seems purely a cash grab and also no wonder we don’t get the expected crowds at bigger games if the prices are jacked up.

Wouldn’t have thought us against anyone would be a dynamic game worthy of prices being increased.

With round 12 over, I am reminded of Tony Leonard's quote on the Coodabeen's show after we had the bye in 1991, "Well, at least we didn't lose."
I was thinking to myself yesterday about what a relaxing weekend it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back