Not Worth A Thread - Random Bulldog Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I was planning on just scanning my AFL membership at the gate on the night but I may have to upgrade to a seat..

On my travels today, spotted a Ute in the Fed Uni car park (at Mt Helen) covered in Bulldogs stickers and even a Mona Castle Hotel sticker. Brought a smile to my face!

Ha! The Mona, that was my dad, his dad and everybody they knews local. As a kid, I spent many a Saturday afternoon after a game at Whitten Oval in what was always a packed Mona as a kid sitting on the heater eating the amazing Charles St. fish and chips and drinking bottomless lemonades waiting for him to finish up. Its also the place that when waiting for some work to be done on my car around the corner at Western Automatics that I went to for old times sake as means of killing a couple of hours on a day that coincided with the Bulldogs players celebrating their 'Mad Monday' about 10 years or so ago. That they had it in an open front bar not closed off from the public and were happy to have a chat with the few people that happened to be there in the middle of an otherwise ordinary afternoon, is something that just wouldn't happen in this day and age.

So Random.

Last edited:
Googling Rhylee gives a fun autocomplete suggestion. That bird speech will be remembered for a long time.

Attachments

• D5787283-51A2-4227-9FD6-CFA63F3FFB84.jpeg
    D5787283-51A2-4227-9FD6-CFA63F3FFB84.jpeg
    60.5 KB · Views: 109

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We used to drink at the Albert on Essex St. Doubtful that it is still around.

Charlie Sutton's pub for quite a while Wally. Charlie would always be behind the bar with a cigar sticking out of his gob.

Alas about the only non pokies/tab pubs left are The Mona, Harts in Victoria St and The Footscray on Hopkins St.

At least the facades of The Barkly, The Albert and The Rising Sun have been maintained.

Charlie Sutton's pub for quite a while Wally. Charlie would always be behind the bar with a cigar sticking out of his gob.

Alas about the only non pokies/tab pubs left are The Mona, Harts in Victoria St and The Footscray on Hopkins St.

At least the facades of The Barkly, The Albert and The Rising Sun have been maintained.
My old man reckons it was pretty rough back in the 70's. He once picked a fight with a bloke who gave him the biggest belting of his life, turns out it was local boxer Keith Mark.

He said when Keith was done with him, he picked him up off the ground, sat him at the bar and bought him a beer.

Mum found him the next morning passed out on the front lawn and his shirt covered in blood. She thought he was dead. The good old days hey!

My Dad just texted me and said Keith Mark would rather have a fight over a feed...lol

Grew up about 100 metres from the Albert and family home still there, although I’ve long flown the coup....Apartments now.

My old man reckons it was pretty rough back in the 70's. He once picked a fight with a bloke who gave him the biggest belting of his life, turns out it was local boxer Keith Mark.

He said when Keith was done with him, he picked him up off the ground, sat him at the bar and bought him a beer.

Mum found him the next morning passed out on the front lawn and his shirt covered in blood. She thought he was dead. The good old days hey!

My Dad just texted me and said Keith Mark would rather have a fight over a feed...lol

Sorry to hear about your dad but Keith Mark was a very good boxer (and fighter), who, if it hadn't been for a bung eye, may very well have been a major title holder.

Re the "good old days," you should have seen The Ashley back in the day -- huge blues regularly. The food servery was called The Jika Jika bar and shady characters abounded left, right and centre. Friday nights were something to behold: huge joints being handed around in "Bullfrog Corner," hot gear openly exchanged and always blokes selling smallgoods, rabbits, watches ... you name it.

Grew up about 100 metres from the Albert and family home still there, although I’ve long flown the coup....Apartments now.

That area is now giving way to smashed avocado hipsters with designer dogs, smart-phone dependency and insouciant moral virtue.

Not that there's anything wrong with that! And some of them actually support the Dogs, albeit as one would select a certain training shoe brand,

Sorry to hear about your dad but Keith Mark was a very good boxer (and fighter), who, if it hadn't been for a bung eye, may very well have been a major title holder.

I was about to post much the same thing. Going along well and then got a detached retina which stopped his career if I recall correctly. Fought under the name of Kid Mark iirc too.

Hart’s Hotel ......so long ago 😪

I was about to post much the same thing. Going along well and then got a detached retina which stopped his career if I recall correctly. Fought under the name of Kid Mark iirc too.

Hart’s Hotel ......so long ago 😪
Kid Mark a bloody good pug. The west has produced quite a few over the years, not the least being our own Ambrose Palmer.

Where do I go to abuse whoever swapped over the Bulldogs link and the Forums link at the top of the page?? I keep clicking on Forums where Bulldogs used to be :mad:
Are there no mirrors in Chez DRU?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back