yeah that was my second guess. What an awful setup up top
Don't forget the OG, James Cook

1590201304821.png

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Noticed Adam Goodes got involved in the recent AFL spotlight regarding Covid. Until now, he seems to have wanted nothing to do with the AFL.

I know it's a bit farfetched, but would be great if we managed to snag Goodes in an off-field role.

Regardless of what you think of him and the racism saga, there's no doubting he's one of the all time great indigenous players, and among the best players of the AFL era. He'd have a ton of knowledge to impart on our players, and as an added bonus would do wonders for attracting indigenous talent to the club. We missed out on Martin thanks to Betts going back to Carlton, but I can bet Goodes would be an even bigger draw for the indigenous boys

Jeff 1975

Club Legend
Mar 29, 2018
Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
1998 Preliminary Final on Fox Footy right now.

1997 is the more infamous and heartbreaking of all our preliminary final losses.

But I rate the 1998 Preliminary Final as one of the most disappointing days in our history.

I agree
I felt 98 was to be payback for us but alas when I saw Smith picking up Robran I thought what was Wallace thinking :(

Leon

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 13, 2004
Bound for Germany 2006!
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Harry's Heroes
I agree
I felt 98 was to be payback for us but alas when I saw Smith picking up Robran I thought what was Wallace thinking :(

When I flicked over to Fox Footy, it was in the last quarter.

Crows a million miles ahead and huge pockets of empty seats in the crowd from where our supporters were.

I remember in 1997 after we lost, me and my family just basically sitting silent for about 5-10 minutes after the siren, too stunned and upset to say or do anything.

In 1998, we were like this pretty much half way through the 3rd quarter.

Very very disappointing day.

When I flicked over to Fox Footy, it was in the last quarter.

Crows a million miles ahead and huge pockets of empty seats in the crowd from where our supporters were.

I remember in 1997 after we lost, me and my family just basically sitting silent for about 5-10 minutes after the siren, too stunned and upset to say or do anything.

In 1998, we were like this pretty much half way through the 3rd quarter.

Very very disappointing day.
The only good thing about the 98 PF compared to 97 was that at least it gave us time to accept the defeat. I remember going into the game as being really confident despite what had happened the previous year. I cried like a baby for about ten minutes after 97. It was different the next year. I think at halftime I knew what would happen and I prepared for it by the final siren, so I didn't feel as bad. I stayed to the end as usual.

When I think back on 98 it was similar to the Cubs end to the 2015 season. The Cubs were down 0 games to 3 in the National League Champonships against the New York Mets(the baseball team I hate the most because of 1969.) to get to the World Series. My brother somehow got us tickets to Game 4 at Wrigley Field. I had never been to a Cubs playoff game before. The dilemma was that we'd lose the right to play in the World Series if we lost and lose to those damn Mets. Nothing could hurt more. On the other hand I might not have the opportunity ever again to be at a Cubs playoff game. Of course I had to go. I will never forget having tears in my eyes during the National Anthem. I also had tears in my eyes about half an hour later when the Mets led the Cubs 4-0 going into the bottom of the first. I knew that was it. My brother wanted to leave early(we eventually lost 8-3) but I wanted to stay until the end just to remember the pain and keep it as motivation for the next year. I guess that pain stayed with me because the next year, a month and a day after I saw the Bulldogs win the Grand Final, I was able to watch the Cubs win the World Series, though watching in the confines of my bedroom. The tears were once again in my eyes, but for different reasons. :p

the Crows have done nothing since, except cheat in 2015.

I wonder if the footy gods decided as the 20th century was coming to an end that enough was enough when it came to our tormentors.

Adelaide - only one GF and no flags in over 20 years since that 1998 finals series

Carlton - their now fallen-from-grace CEO Jack Elliott notoriously described our club as having a "tragic history" in March 2000. They made the PF that year and have only seen finals action in 5 years since, never getting past a SF.

Essendon - long standing local rivalry, always assumed superiority and sneered at us, tried to poach our players in 1989 while we rattled tins and thanked other Vic clubs for their support. We inflicted their only loss in what would have been their "Invincibles" year (2000). They lost the GF next year and since 2004 have made the finals 6 times, losing every one of them. Brought disgrace on their once proud club and even had to return a Brownlow Medal because of the doping scandal.

And for good measure ...

GWS - gifted everything from the AFL, pinched our players (even our captain), taunted us with the "Lost Dogs Home", saved their dirtiest on-field plays for us and presumed they'd walk over us at Beerless Stadium and progress to a flag in 2016. Except they didn't. And they have stubbornly refused to win a flag since, losing by 89 points in their only attempt.

And one for Leon :

North - Only 8 finals series since their 1999 flag. No grand finals.

We can moan about other clubs from time to time but that's like playing whack-a-mole. You can't keep them all down.

I'll happily settle for just keeping Carlton, Essendon and GWS in their place for a few years longer.

Sat on the top tier of the Northern Stand in 98, the players looked like ants. I’ve blanked the rest out.

Think I was near you - was gobsmacked. I remember feeling so dejected. I simply wanted to experience a GF with the 'Dogs in after it, even if we didn't win. 2016 was so unexpected as I'd endured so much disappointment before I never thought I'd even see us get to the grannie.

CarnTheScray

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 4, 2019
Ballarat
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I wonder if the footy gods decided as the 20th century was coming to an end that enough was enough when it came to our tormentors.

Adelaide - only one GF and no flags in over 20 years since that 1998 finals series

Carlton - their now fallen-from-grace CEO Jack Elliott notoriously described our club as having a "tragic history" in March 2000. They made the PF that year and have only seen finals action in 5 years since, never getting past a SF.

Essendon - long standing local rivalry, always assumed superiority and sneered at us, tried to poach our players in 1989 while we rattled tins and thanked other Vic clubs for their support. We inflicted their only loss in what would have been their "Invincibles" year (2000). They lost the GF next year and since 2004 have made the finals 6 times, losing every one of them. Brought disgrace on their once proud club and even had to return a Brownlow Medal because of the doping scandal.

And for good measure ...

GWS - gifted everything from the AFL, pinched our players (even our captain), taunted us with the "Lost Dogs Home", saved their dirtiest on-field plays for us and presumed they'd walk over us at Beerless Stadium and progress to a flag in 2016. Except they didn't. And they have stubbornly refused to win a flag since, losing by 89 points in their only attempt.

And one for Leon :

North - Only 8 finals series since their 1999 flag. No grand finals.

We can moan about other clubs from time to time but that's like playing whack-a-mole. You can't keep them all down.

I'll happily settle for just keeping Carlton, Essendon and GWS in their place for a few years longer.
2 of the Big 4 being crap this century sure does open up some opportunities.

Anyone been watching this? Funny stuff - it's the first one I've seen. Apparently we're in the finals!

I used to play dice footy when I was a schoolboy back in the ... errr ... a long time ago. Pleased to see it's still rolling.

Was this a widespread tradition? Did it get played a lot in subsequent decades?

Gotta say it's the first time I've seen grown men playing it but hey, these times are unprecedented.

Leon

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 13, 2004
Bound for Germany 2006!
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Harry's Heroes
The thing about 1998 that was so disappointing from my perspective was how confident I was before the game (and trust me, with the Bulldogs, I’m hardly ever confident - and this game taught me to never be confident again)

We, along with Norf, were the two best sides in 1998. We’d traded top and second spot on the ladder all year. We’d beaten them in the first game and the second game we’d lost by a kick.

We had thrashed the Crows the only time we’d played them that year. They had been thrashed in their first final against Melbourne and recovered the next week against the Swans, but we had thrashed the Eagles in the first final and had the week off.

We had 1997 fresh in minds and were smarting from it.

I had all of these factors in my mind before the 1998 Prelim and was sure of it, that we’d done enough all year to be considered the (equal) best side of the year and we’d put the demons of the past behind us and end the Grand Final drought.

We then proceeded to play our worst game for the year, barely giving a yell. Beaten up all over the ground.

Again, 1997 was more traumatic but 1998, for me, one of the most disappointing days in the history of the club.

I used to play dice footy when I was a schoolboy back in the ... errr ... a long time ago. Pleased to see it's still rolling.

Was this a widespread tradition? Did it get played a lot in subsequent decades?

Gotta say it's the first time I've seen grown men playing it but hey, these times are unprecedented.

I've never heard of it before & thought it was just a bit of fun created for lockdown.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back