Not Worth A Thread - Random Bulldog Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at the Brownlow betting odds, Macrae and Bont are in the top 10, and Baz is in the top 25 or so. Impressive for a second year.
Macrae solid this year, maybe top 5 Brownlow and currently deserves the B&F. As a club we're great at sharing Brownlow votes around. Cost Westy a couple I reckon in years gone by.

In 2016, I had a newborn sleeping in my arms as I cheered from home.

Now there is 2 little boys & neither can sit still for 5 minutes. Sometimes women aren’t great with kids, it’s rare but happens.
It's worth it.

Hope you'll be able to take the two LittlestGs to the big 'G to watch them win the flag in a few years.

I've posted this before but it doesn't hurt to post it again.

life cyle by the late Bruce Dawe

When children are born in Victoria
they are wrapped in club-colours, laid in beribboned cots,
having already begun a lifetime’s barracking.

Carn, they cry, Carn … feebly at first
while parents playfully tussle with them
for possession of a rusk: Ah, he’s a little Tiger! (And they are …)

Hoisted shoulder-high at their first League game
they are like innocent monsters who have been years swimming
towards the daylight’s roaring empyrean

Until, now, hearts shrapnelled with rapture,
they break surface and are forever lost,
their minds rippling out like streamers

In the pure flood of sound, they are scarfed with light, a voice
like the voice of God booms from the stands
Ooohh you bludger and the covenant is sealed.

Hot pies and potato-crisps they will eat,
they will forswear the Demons, cling to the Saints
and behold their team going up the ladder into Heaven,

And the tides of life will be the tides of the home-team’s fortunes
– the reckless proposal after the one-point win,
the wedding and honeymoon after the grand final …

They will not grow old as those from the more northern states grow old,
for them it will always be three-quarter time
with the scores level and the wind advantage in the final term,

That passion persisting, like a race-memory, through the welter of seasons,
enabling old-timers by boundary fences to dream of resurgent lions
and centaur-figures from the past to replenish continually the present,

So that mythology may be perpetually renewed
and Chicken Smallhorn return like the maize-god
in a thousand shapes, the dancers changing

But the dance forever the same – the elderly still
loyally crying Carn … Carn … (if feebly) unto the very end,
having seen in the six-foot recruit from Eaglehawk their hope of salvation

Posted in here, although perhaps it is worth a thread in it's own right. Neil Sachse has passed away at the age of 69 after a short illness.

A sad tale of a Footscray footballer left a quadriplegic in his 2nd game, before going on to setup the Neil Schache Foundation for spinal cord injury research.

Posted in here, although perhaps it is worth a thread in it's own right. Neil Sachse has passed away at the age of 69 after a short illness.

A sad tale of a Footscray footballer left a quadriplegic in his 2nd game, before going on to setup the Neil Schache Foundation for spinal cord injury research.

Very sad, was just about to come on here and post. Much loved and respected person over here and the SA football community are deeply saddened by his passing

SANFL and the South Australian football community is mourning the passing of State and North Adelaide champion Neil Sachse.

Along with his brother Dennis, Neil was part of the fabled Roosters team of the early 1970s that won back to back premierships and in 1972 defeated Carlton to claim the title of Champions of Australia. Neil played 94 games in the red and white as a relentless and powerful utility.

He played five times for South Australia including a best on ground performance against Western Australia at Football Park in 1974.

The following season Neil transferred to Footscray but in his second VFL match was left a quadriplegic after a heavy collision at the Western Oval. The devastating injury rocked the football world and led to greater awareness and protocols around spinal and head injuries.

Neil committed his life to raising awareness of disability and spinal injury. His foundation raised millions of dollars for research and education and he was tireless in his efforts.

”Neil was a wonderful player who had his football career tragically cut short,” SANFL chief executive Jake Parkinson said.

”However, he remained a pioneer, committed and tenacious in his pursuit for research and understanding of spinal injuries through his foundation for which our game is the benefactor. He will be deeply missed.”

Neil passed away after a short illness. SANFL expresses its deepest sympathy to Neil’s wife Janyne and sons Ben and Sam and their families.

Head or heart time. I lead the footy tipping by 1. I really thi k we can win tonight but worry about the greasy dew conditions. Not sure what to do. 99% of the comp will be tipping Geelong

Update on the Indigenous jumpers being auctioned - three have reached over $1000, Bont, Baz, and Libba. Lynch and Greene are on equal lowest at $160. Baz’s has the most bids, Trengove’s the least.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Update on the Indigenous jumpers being auctioned - three have reached over $1000, Bont, Baz, and Libba. Lynch and Greene are on equal lowest at $160. Baz’s has the most bids, Trengove’s the least.
Have been watching Libba's but didn't want to bid more than $1k, which it's already passed thanks to a bidding war, so guess that counts me out

Does anybody know whether Footscray received anything after we defeated Essendon in the Championship of Victoria game in 1924? Did we received a trophy, shield, certificate, pennant or some such thing? The title Championship of Victoria seems to be an unofficial title with the game being known as Dame Nellie Melba's Appeal for Limbless Soldiers. So seeing as it was an exhibition game for a charity-related cause I was wondering whether the club has any memorabilia to commemorate its victory.

Does anybody know whether Footscray received anything after we defeated Essendon in the Championship of Victoria game in 1924? Did we received a trophy, shield, certificate, pennant or some such thing? The title Championship of Victoria seems to be an unofficial title with the game being known as Dame Nellie Melba's Appeal for Limbless Soldiers. So seeing as it was an exhibition game for a charity-related cause I was wondering whether the club has any memorabilia to commemorate its victory.
ivan rassmussen was there. He might be able to enlighten us.

he hasn’t been around for months, that is rather concerning
Yes I know although I think he put in a brief appearance at one stage. I'm hoping he might be lurking.

He's not the only one, by the way.
Hope they're all OK. (PM me if I can help in some way.)

DMitchell ? Maybe got lost in the transfer of US politics from the Covid post to the new one. Or full time watching the election campaign?

I have Jack Meuleman’s medallion they were awarded after the match.
He is my wife’s grandfather.
i could post a photo if you would like ?

We offered it along with other stuff of his to the Bulldog museum , but they never got back to us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back