Not Worth A Thread - Random Bulldog Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have Jack Meuleman’s medallion they were awarded after the match.
He is my wife’s grandfather.
i could post a photo if you would like ?

We offered it along with other stuff of his to the Bulldog museum , but they never got back to us.

Yes thanks, let's see it, seeing as we can't see it at the museum.

I have Jack Meuleman’s medallion they were awarded after the match.
He is my wife’s grandfather.
i could post a photo if you would like ?

We offered it along with other stuff of his to the Bulldog museum , but they never got back to us.

Like everyone else here I love this club, sadly, like everyone else here I am not surprised by the last bit of your post. 😞

I know someone who used to get into the rooms after games in the 70s and 80s and sneakily pocket discarded strapping, bandages, player's toenail clippings and anything else they could get their devious little mind to imagine for "artistic" re-use. They now have a 16ft statue of Jeff Geischen in their shed in the act of kicking his one and only career goal in this largely forgettable encounter from 1976:

I've been banned from their property these days, and never had the chance to take a photo of the statue - it is a sight to behold. But I did manage a photo of their portrait of the same Geischen made entirely from nail clippings of players from the Footscray 1977 senior list, and as you can see, the likeness is uncanny:

1600223827272.png 1600223838769.png

(They also have those original shorts Geisch is wearing - would you believe they're actually a size-12 boys, which were all the rage in the 70s amongst VFL players! I believe this is where Terry Wheeler got into trouble - he didn't go seeking opponents' crown jewels, they were just presented to him in tackles as wardrobe malfunctions on-field were common-place, as was impotence caused by strangulation of self-same crown jewels.)

1600224016517.png

Wouldn't have picked Macrae as being the messiest. Would have picked Dunkley as the coach's pet. Would definitely have picked Baz as the one getting his rig out by the pool the most.

You
I know someone who used to get into the rooms after games in the 70s and 80s and sneakily pocket discarded strapping, bandages, player's toenail clippings and anything else they could get their devious little mind to imagine for "artistic" re-use. They now have a 16ft statue of Jeff Geischen in their shed in the act of kicking his one and only career goal in this largely forgettable encounter from 1976:

I've been banned from their property these days, and never had the chance to take a photo of the statue - it is a sight to behold. But I did manage a photo of their portrait of the same Geischen made entirely from nail clippings of players from the Footscray 1977 senior list, and as you can see, the likeness is uncanny:

View attachment 962650 View attachment 962651

(They also have those original shorts Geisch is wearing - would you believe they're actually a size-12 boys, which were all the rage in the 70s amongst VFL players! I believe this is where Terry Wheeler got into trouble - he didn't go seeking opponents' crown jewels, they were just presented to him in tackles as wardrobe malfunctions on-field were common-place, as was impotence caused by strangulation of self-same crown jewels.)

View attachment 962653
Your friend is one twisted m!@#er f$#@#r

View attachment 962650 View attachment 962651

View attachment 962653
Genuinely disturbing yet somehow quite tragically magnificent by your ahem friend.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So ...

Fremantle had to lose by 22 points or more to secure pick #7 in the draft ahead of Carlton.

Walters was left out of the team from last week with a foot injury. Then there was the late withdrawal of Matt Taberner (4th in the Coleman before this round).

I don't know if we'd have lost if their two highest scorers had been playing but it would have been a harder task. Also I expect they were both carrying a genuine injury ... of some sort. After all a lot players are carrying niggling injuries at this end of the season. And when there's no chance of finals why risk aggravating the injury resulting in a late return to the 2021 pre-season?

I wonder whether both would have sat it out if Freo could have made the finals by beating us tonight.

:think:

I'm not saying they deliberately eased off. It's one of those things where there's a very grey area regarding propriety - transgression of the rules is almost impossible to prove. Probably every club has indulged in it at some time (some more blatantly and more often than others).

To Hawthorn's lasting credit they put their foot to the floor and beat the Suns by a big margin today. So much so that they slipped from having draft pick #3 to pick #4. Yet some cynical observers would call that dumb football.

It's a situation that occurs nearly every year and is just not a good look for the sport. Especially a sport that has millions gambled on it every week.

Who knows if it was brought up or not, if they knew about it but didn’t focus on it or if they didn’t know about it at all. Without going on a conspiracy theory but it does seem convenient that their best goal kickers were suddenly absent in a game where it was beneficial not to kick many goals. If it was an attempt at tanking, at the very least they didn’t make it blatant by playing ruckman on opposition small forwards like teams have in the past.

Not just our sport but I imagine every sport with a draft system has a problem with this. Golden State Warriors in the 11/12 NBA season had traded out a pick with a protection on it. They kept the pick if it was #7 or lower, they had to trade the pick if it #8 or lower. They were sitting outside that mark late in the season and couldn’t make the playoffs and surprise, surprise they lost 10 of the last 11 to finish with the seventh worst pick and no one jumped them in the draft lottery so they kept pick 7. With that they selected Harrison Barnes who ended up being one of their main six players in their title run three years later.

The best thing that has happened with the tanking in the AFL is that it hasn’t really been successful yet, at least with the obvious examples. Nearly all Carlton’s number one picks have retired now with only a couple of finals wins to speak of, Melbourne were in the dumps for years after their debacle and the tanking that saw them get picks 1 and 2 in the draft saw Dustin Martin go at pick 3 and whilst not talked about as much as the other two but Gold Coast and GWS drafting a heap of 18 year olds they knew would get their butts kicked for the first few years in a “Trust the Process” type gambit hasn’t been successful either. A few of those teams created a losing culture that they found really hard to break, or have never broken.

Think every team would’ve done it at one stage or another in situations that the benefits of losing far outweigh the benefits of winning. There does seem to be an acceptance level of ‘sort of trying’ as long as you’re not taking the piss with obvious losing strategies. Just have to look at us in 2012. Used the Callan Ward compensation pick so we’d have another pick straight after our first round pick. Started the season 5-6, lost the last 11 (only once by less than six goals) and we end up with Stringer and Macrae.

I don’t know the answer to fix it. NBA has the lottery system but teams still tank so that they have the best odds at winning still. I think we’ll just keep doing what we’re currently doing and accept that it happens sometimes as long as teams aren’t being silly with it. It is always good to see a team that has nothing to gain by winning like Hawthorn today (and even Sydney who didn’t quite get over the line) doing everything they can to win even if it hurts their draft position and may end up missing the player they want.

Surely the players would not be party to tanking. If I was a player I would be offended to be asked not to do my best - what about my trade value for a start! I suppose management can suggest coaches pick a D-grade team to manipulate the result but players would see through that and would try even harder. It could backfire.

So ...

Fremantle had to lose by 22 points or more to secure pick #7 in the draft ahead of Carlton.

Walters was left out of the team from last week with a foot injury. Then there was the late withdrawal of Matt Taberner (4th in the Coleman before this round).

I don't know if we'd have lost if their two highest scorers had been playing but it would have been a harder task. Also I expect they were both carrying a genuine injury ... of some sort. After all a lot players are carrying niggling injuries at this end of the season. And when there's no chance of finals why risk aggravating the injury resulting in a late return to the 2021 pre-season?

I wonder whether both would have sat it out if Freo could have made the finals by beating us tonight.

I'm not saying they deliberately eased off. It's one of those things where there's a very grey area regarding propriety - transgression of the rules is almost impossible to prove. Probably every club has indulged in it at some time (some more blatantly and more often than others).

To Hawthorn's lasting credit they put their foot to the floor and beat the Suns by a big margin today. So much so that they slipped from having draft pick #3 to pick #4. Yet some cynical observers would call that dumb football.

It's a situation that occurs nearly every year and is just not a good look for the sport. Especially a sport that has millions gambled on it every week.
The difference between pick 7 and 8 in the NBA is HUGE. Some years there are only 4-5 high quality options, and with 5 on a court the consequences are huge.

The difference between 7 and 8 in the AFL is negligable. You're just as likely to get a quality player at each pick. Tanking across a season, perhaps. Tanking to go to 1 to get a concencous number 1 pick, perhaps. Tanking to go from 8 to 7, no. No chance.

So ...

The difference between pick 7 and 8 in the NBA is HUGE. Some years there are only 4-5 high quality options, and with 5 on a court the consequences are huge.

The difference between 7 and 8 in the AFL is negligable. You're just as likely to get a quality player at each pick. Tanking across a season, perhaps. Tanking to go to 1 to get a concencous number 1 pick, perhaps. Tanking to go from 8 to 7, no. No chance.
Importantly, Fremantle falling behind Carlton on percentage wasn't the difference between pick 7 and 8 because they were already in points defecit from last year after matching the bid for Henry (265 points).

Dropping below Carlton means they hold pick 11 instead of pick 12, so (although not zero) really very limited incentive to tank.

The team finishing 8th is slightly worse off as a result of them finishing 12th instead of 11th, no difference to anyone else. Given that could be us if Collingwood win tonight, we might now end up with 1268 points towards the JUH bid instead of 1329 points had we not kicked those few late ones last night!

Last edited:
The AFL Instagram has posted a few silly little videos of Baz and Dunks lately, and I'm not quite sure why. We're an exciting team and they're two of our big young players, and also two of our better looking players, I wonder if it's just that they get engagement from teenage girls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back