can someone get Nick Blakey out of the esky
BABDAE72-8815-40F9-AEAB-CF37920A6058.jpeg

Last edited:

weltschmerz

Brownlow Medallist
May 23, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
If you could pick a current player from any other team and slot him into our side, who would you pick?

Darcy Moore would make us unstoppable.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
If you could pick a current player from any other team and slot him into our side, who would you pick?

Darcy Moore would make us unstoppable.
Plenty of great options like Moore, May, Gawn, etc. Not sure how anyone could go past Dusty though.

Avoiding midfielders, it would have to be Liam Ryan for me. One of the best kicks in the competition, while also being arguably the most dangerous forward around goals.

Roogal

Club Legend
Dec 7, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Ballarat Roosters
Just to share these amazing aerial shots taken in early Nov 2020 before the latest development works in Ballarat commenced. I did think about posting them on the "Stadiums" thread but figured that they would be better appreciated if shared with the Bulldogs supporters who may wish to use the first 3 as wallpapers etc. Anyway, use as you wish folks:

North Ballarat No 2 Oval with Mars Stadium and North Ballarat Sports Club rearward.
A1.jpg

Image showing both the North Ballarat grounds and Lake Wendouree FNC ovals to the right.
A2.jpg

Mars Stadium and North Ballarat Sports Club
A3.jpg

The same image illustrating where exactly the latest round of works are occurring.
A4.png

The framework of the new southern toilet block - construction has advanced considerably since this was taken a month ago.
162765945_1026362768148295_480447012019989626_n.jpg

Dale4captain

Premiership Player
Sep 14, 2010
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Just to share these amazing aerial shots taken in early Nov 2020 before the latest development works in Ballarat commenced. I did think about posting them on the "Stadiums" thread but figured that they would be better appreciated if shared with the Bulldogs supporters who may wish to use the first 3 as wallpapers etc. Anyway, use as you wish folks:

North Ballarat No 2 Oval with Mars Stadium and North Ballarat Sports Club rearward.
View attachment 1091121
Image showing both the North Ballarat grounds and Lake Wendouree FNC ovals to the right.
View attachment 1091122
Mars Stadium and North Ballarat Sports Club
View attachment 1091126
The same image illustrating where exactly the latest round of works are occurring.
View attachment 1091128
The framework of the new southern toilet block - construction has advanced considerably since this was taken a month ago.
View attachment 1091129
Do you work for Ballarat City Council mate? Assuming so given your level of knowledge on the project

Roogal

Club Legend
Dec 7, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Ballarat Roosters
Do you work for Ballarat City Council mate? Assuming so given your level of knowledge on the project
Great question, but ...

No, I do have friends who are well connected in the Ballarat Council (One who gave me these images) and with Commerce Ballarat. I do get to keep track of the MS development because between 2008-2011 I worked at the NB Sports Club (at the time when the "Think Big Ballarat" campaign kicked off) and have a friend who still works there closely associated with its day to day management and more broadly the management of the Mars Stadium facility. Further, my sister only lives two blocks away and I do see her fairly regularly ... in fact you can see her house in one of those aerial shots ;) These days I reside in Waurn Ponds, Geelong (So you won't see my place in any of those shots) and work in tourism. :thumbsu:

Although another tip is, if you are a tradie with any of the skills that they need that are associated with the building tenders for Mars Stadium, or GMHBA Stadium then you can actively access detailed documents related to the developments that aren't open to the general public's gaze through sites like Tenderlink, Tendersearch, EstimateOne and there's another one which I can't think of off the top of my head. One of my Ex's used to access them all of the time when bidding for contracts during the building of GMHBA Stadium's Stages 1 and 2. They are a gold mine of information relating to costs, specifications etc. But they are mostly locked up as 'Commercial in confidence" so we (the public) don't get to read those. Those docs are there for the right people to read in relation to the 2018 study (never publicly released for commercial reasons) on Mars Stadium's long-term development plan.

So it's just a simple case of knowing where to look, and who to speak to. What questions to ask in the context of a conversation and yes you can build a very accurate picture. One of the more interesting conversations that I had was with Councilor Daniel Maloney (a great champion for Mars Stadium and AFL football in Ballarat) at the July 18 Western Bulldogs game which was a total fiasco. I couldn't belief the exasperation that he expressed at the situation unfolding (poor lighting, a broken scoreboard and a near empty spectator hill being drenched in waves of rain). In his own words, he said that the Council had to "fix the lighting urgently as a matter of priority, the scoreboard failure was unforgivable, and as for that bloody hill ...".

Take heart that Cr Maloney is now the city's Mayor.

Cheers :beermug:

Last edited:

D Mitchell

Premiership Player
Jul 28, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Football Club
Great question, but ...

No, I do have friends who are well connected in the Ballarat Council (One who gave me these images) and with Commerce Ballarat. I do get to keep track of the MS development because between 2008-2011 I worked at the NB Sports Club (at the time when the "Think Big Ballarat" campaign kicked off) and have a friend who still works there closely associated with its day to day management and more broadly the management of the Mars Stadium facility. Further, my sister only lives two blocks away and I do see her fairly regularly ... in fact you can see her house in one of those aerial shots ;) These days I reside in Waurn Ponds, Geelong (So you won't see my place in any of those shots) and work in tourism. :thumbsu:

Although another tip is, if you are a tradie with any of the skills that they need that are associated with the building tenders for Mars Stadium, or GMHBA Stadium then you can actively access detailed documents related to the developments that aren't open to the general public's gaze through sites like Tenderlink, Tendersearch, EstimateOne and there's another one which I can't think of off the top of my head. One of my Ex's used to access them all of the time when bidding for contracts during the building of GMHBA Stadium's Stages 1 and 2. They are a gold mine of information relating to costs, specifications etc. But they are mostly locked up as 'Commercial in confidence" so we (the public) don't get to read those. Those docs are there for the right people to read in relation to the 2018 study (never publicly released for commercial reasons) on Mars Stadium's long-term development plan.

So it's just a simple case of knowing where to look, and who to speak to. What questions to ask in the context of a conversation and yes you can build a very accurate picture. One of the more interesting conversations that I had was with Councilor Daniel Maloney (a great champion for Mars Stadium and AFL football in Ballarat) at the July 18 Western Bulldogs game which was a total fiasco. I couldn't belief the exasperation that he expressed at the situation unfolding (poor lighting, a broken scoreboard and a near empty spectator hill being drenched in waves of rain). In his own words, he said that the Council had to "fix the lighting urgently as a matter of priority, the scoreboard failure was unforgivable, and as for that bloody hill ...".

Take heart that Cr Maloney is now the city's Mayor.

Cheers :beermug:
Disappointing, I had you as a senior ASIO operative with access to Chinese spy satellite images.

According to the Coodabeens Champions Josh Bruce plays the banjo! That I would like to hear

weltschmerz

Brownlow Medallist
May 23, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It's way too early for a draft thread, but I'll just leave this here.

However, it was Dominic Akuei’s performance that had tongues wagging with his marking, athleticism and versatility an intriguing combination. The 196cm Old Trinity youngster started at full-back and took several intercept marks before being moved into the ruck, showcasing his mobility and leap, finishing with 12 touches, 13 hitouts, three tackles and a goal.

Knights coach Leigh Clarke said he expected to start getting some calls for more background on Akuei. “Dom continues to literally come forward in leaps and bounds, he played full-back and took some amazing marks,” Clarke said. “We had to swing him into the ruck because Fletcher Parkinson dislocated his shoulder so he stepped in against an AFL-listed ruckman from Geelong (Paul Tsapotolis) and almost jumped clean over him. “It shows he’s able to impact in multiple roles and his mobility will also allow him to play on the wing, at his height and physiology could become a really exciting prospect. “He won the 20m (sprint) and jumping at our testing day, which shows the kind of athlete we’re dealing with.”

bullish23

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2002
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Arsenal
Floating fixture should see us featuring in prime time consistently.

Pressure on the front office to fill that vacant sponsors logo on the back of our shirt. Quite concerning we haven’t secured something as yet. Surprised the media hasn’t picked up on it as Baines particularly is quite the regular on SEN.

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Floating fixture should see us featuring in prime time consistently.

Pressure on the front office to fill that vacant sponsors logo on the back of our shirt. Quite concerning we haven’t secured something as yet. Surprised the media hasn’t picked up on it as Baines particularly is quite the regular on SEN.
Only making it more expensive as each week passes atm, no point locking us in for a few years at lower than we could get! Hopefully we’ve got something in the works

Posting this here because. Well, because it's about the Bulldogs... :D

Gonzaga Bulldogs (31-0) are about to lose their only match of the season in the American College Basketball Final. They're gonna lose convincingly too.

Baylor Bears (29-2)are obviously no easy beats but to lose your only game in the final when it all matters. Wow!

I had considered going to Baylor to get my Masters degree before I was offered my teaching position here. Would have waited 46 years for a championship. I waited only 40 years with the Bulldogs. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back