Notable players to exit the old VFL without a senior game

Remove this Banner Ad

Basil campbell collingwood to Sth Fremantle 1974 (Football register)
View attachment 620418

Did Dexter Kennedy ever line up for Sth melbourne reserves?
I wasn't aware that Basil Campbell had a Collingwood connection. It seems he went to school at Hamilton (in Collingwood's country zone) and (presumably) was tied to the club because of that. From the 1971 Grand Final Record:
1550291909384.png
1972 Preliminary Final Record:
1550292185828.png
1978 Night Series Record:
1550292514115.png

Last edited:

Would Shane Warne fit the criteria, or are you after players who have been on the senior list?

Would Shane Warne fit the criteria, or are you after players who have been on the senior list?
I had a brief chat with a young Shane Warne (he was probably about 21 at the time) at the Alberton Hotel (in Adelaide's western suburbs) many years ago. He was with the Cricket Academy at the time; it was based in Adelaide then and many of the players were staying at that hotel. I knew he had played a bit of football and asked him about his time at St Kilda. He told me that he was given the one game in the reserves, and it was against Carlton and his opponent was Mil Hanna (the story below says it may have been David Kernahan). He suggested that he hadn't fared very well and wasn't invited back for another (reserves) game!

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2013-01-02/warney-the-footballer

It is part of St Kilda folklore that Shane Warne was a handy Under 19s footballer in the late 1980s before turning his focus to cricket.

With his bleached blond hair and stocky frame, Warne held down a position as the Saints’ full-forward in an Under 19s side that included Robert Harvey as well as other players who went on to play senior football such as Gordon Fode and Brett Bowey.

A broken ankle to reigning Brownlow and Coleman medallist Tony Lockett mid-way through 1988 resulted in the Saints’ season going from bad to worse and the club was headed for its fifth wooden spoon of the decade.

Coach Darrel Baldock took a youth-oriented approach at the selection table and Harvey, Fode and Bowey all made their senior debuts. Warne was not considered ready for senior football but was elevated to the reserves for one senior game.

After booting seven goals in a match for the Under 19s, reserves coach Gary Colling elevated Warne to his team to take on Carlton.

The Blues had plenty of depth, having won the previous year’s senior and reserves premierships. There was no easing into things for Warne, who struggled to keep up with the extra demands of playing at a higher level.

John Beveridge was the Saints’ development officer at the time and recalled Warne’s only reserves game more than 24 years ago.

“I can’t quite remember who his opponent was, but I think it was David Kernahan who had about four bounces down the wing and kicked a goal,” Beveridge told saints.com.au.

“Meanwhile Warney was still around the goal square in what turned out to be his one and only reserves game.”

The youngster from Mentone Grammar in bayside Melbourne was delisted at the end of the year and turned all his focus to cricket. But if the 1988 football season had panned out slightly differently, the world may never have known Shane Warne – cricket legend.

John Bourke would probably qualify for this thread due to the notoriety he gained by pushing an umpire to the ground and jumping into the crowd to confront a crowd member in a reserves match when he was a Collingwood player in 1985. Obviously his 10 year ban did not allow him to come back and have any chance of qualifying as a senior footballer.
One of the commentators in that game was Ray "Slug" Jordan, who played with Richmond's Under 19s between 1953 and 1955, winning their best and fairest award in his last year. Slug later played senior footy for Coburg in the VFA.
Legendary country full forward Ron Best, who played most of his footy in the Bendigo League, had a handful of trial games with Carlton during the 1970s, as this was Bendigo's zonal team back then. Even when Best was 30 he had another trial game with Geelong, but decided to stay a country footballer, and retired with over 2000 goals.

Only because it's in the news right now I have discovered George Pell signed as a ruckman for Richmond in 1959 and played in the reserves. His entering the priesthood put an end to any senior career.

Only because it's in the news right now I have discovered George Pell signed as a ruckman for Richmond in 1959 and played in the reserves. His entering the priesthood put an end to any senior career.
He's had the occasional mention in the Football Record over the years:
1551246603749.png
1551246692215.png
His football "career" also got a mention in this Herald-Sun article (I did post the link to this up the page a bit). I can't see anything that says he actually played for the club, however, so did that really happen?

According to an article in my local newspaper (Bendigo Advertiser) today, it states, "Pell's relationship with the club stretches back to 1959 when he singed as a ruckman, playing for the reserves side before entering the priesthood."
Perhaps it would be worth asking Rhett Bartlett for his deliberation?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

According to an article in my local newspaper (Bendigo Advertiser) today, it states, "Pell's relationship with the club stretches back to 1959 when he singed as a ruckman, playing for the reserves side before entering the priesthood."
Perhaps it would be worth asking Rhett Bartlett for his deliberation?
Yes, he'd most likely know. You out there rbartlett ?

Yes, I tweeted this info out yesterday for the press to be aware
"George Pell NEVER played for Richmond Snrs, Reserves, U19s, or even trained. (I can't confirm if he was signed).
George Pell's vice-patronage (1997-2019) has now ceased as of 26 Feb 2019. Since Feb 2018, the @Richmond_FC no longer appoints Vice Patrons."

Eddie McGuire tried out at Collingwood U/19s
He's supposed to have tried out with North Melbourne's U19s. I posted a link to this Herald-Sun article up the page a bit: https://outline.com/KAGHaz

"You could say the same about Eddie McGuire’s decision to accept a sports reporting cadetship with Channel 10 after he tried out for the North Melbourne under-19s (he was a quick centreman with a straight kick but his slight frame counted against him, according to the 2015 book Eddie: The Rise and Rise of Eddie McGuire)."

He's supposed to have tried out with North Melbourne's U19s. I posted a link to this Herald-Sun article up the page a bit: https://outline.com/KAGHaz

"You could say the same about Eddie McGuire’s decision to accept a sports reporting cadetship with Channel 10 after he tried out for the North Melbourne under-19s (he was a quick centreman with a straight kick but his slight frame counted against him, according to the 2015 book Eddie: The Rise and Rise of Eddie McGuire)."

That explains Denis Pagan was involved in the tale.

Alex Carey did not play a game for GWS. Aussie one day keeper at moment.

Richard Pratt, ex-Carlton President I believe might have played under 19's with Carlton.

Sam Pang under 19's with Collingwood.
Yes, and did very well at that level, winning a Morrish Medal!: http://www.blueseum.org/Richard+Pratt

In his time at Carlton, Pratt :
1953 T. W. Morrish Medal winner, to see The Argus announcement click here> http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article23262439

Pratt was also in the squad of the U19s Premiership team in 1951.

Michael Aish came over and trained at Essendon in the mid 80s.
My understanding is he thought the training was too much based on endurance and not enough on skills.
He questioned Sheedy, who advised him it wouldn't be changing.
He got in the car he was given by an Essendon car dealership for coming over and was never seen again.
I remember he was All Australian the year he went back.
Never played a game in the VFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back