Novak Djokovic refused entry.

Remove this Banner Ad

You are being precious 76 whether you know it or not.

Yes it is Federal law and it's a law that is identical to international countries around the globe in the matter of foreign nationals entering the country having to obey that countries laws.

Good faith is exactly the same as ignorance of the law - the fact that governments waive this in cases that benefit them has no bearing on the 'ignorance of the law' stipulation.

Not interesting at all - it's irrelevant - he clearly either acted in either defiance of or ignorance of the law.

Serbia? You have a thorough grasp of history do you not?? Go back to the last big war and remember their behavior in that.

In any case you are using sophistry in an open and shut case so it's not worth continuing this conversation.

Finished.
I don't think you can expect Novak to know the laws in terms of exemptions, when immigration didn't seem to, seeing they did issue him an exemption. And it wasn't a one off error. Was it actually clear that a recent covid case didn't give an exemption, or has that been changed retrospectively due to the outcry about Novak's visa?

I don't think you can expect Novak to know the laws in terms of exemptions, when immigration didn't seem to, seeing they did issue him an exemption. And it wasn't a one off error. Was it actually clear that a recent covid case didn't give an exemption, or has that been changed retrospectively due to the outcry about Novak's visa?
Seriously? This isn't the first time for him to come to Australia and given the rules around vaccinations, up to him or one of his legal group to have checked it out. I don't get why he can't complete the card/information himself.

Not that hard - just google.

When filling out the ATD, you will need to:
  • provide your contact details, including a contact phone number in Australia
  • make a legally binding declaration in relation to your vaccination status
  • make a declaration regarding your last 14 days travel history
  • make a declaration that you are aware of the quarantine and testing requirements that apply when coming to Australia and in the state or territory you are landing, and the penalties for non-compliance.

Personally I don't like that he was deported under these circumstances as should never got past visa application, however I am glad he is gone as he tried to game the system and here we are.

Once again IRRELEVANT - IRRELEVANT - IRRELEVANT.

Any traveler to a foreign country must be prepared to obey their laws.

There are no ifs, buts, or maybe's - nor is their any excuse for ignorance of the law.

None of these apply.

If you break a local law you are liable to the full force of that law.

Guess all the news media outlets will spend all day and report 24/7 at the Djokovic/Hotel that the refugees are being held in now ?

Thought not
Those refugees have been there for years, why should the media care now especially since their famous guest isn't there.

Seriously? This isn't the first time for him to come to Australia and given the rules around vaccinations, up to him or one of his legal group to have checked it out.

Not that hard - just google.

Personally I don't like that he was deported under these circumstances as should never got past visa application, however I am glad he is gone as he tried to game the system and here we are.
But the issue is that they were giving exemptions for recent covid cases and that's what he was told by TA. If you actually call Aussie border control, which I've done a few times over the last two years, they don't answer your questions - they just send you back to the unclear website and tell you to submit an application to find out. That's what he did.

I'm not trying to defend Novak overall, I like that he's had his visa torn up, but in terms of whether he should have known the rules, I disagree. When the immigration rules are going through constant change nobody actually confidently knows them - including those handing out exemptions, it seems.

Any traveler to a foreign country must be prepared to obey their laws.

There are no ifs, buts, or maybe's - nor is their any excuse for ignorance of the law.

None of these apply.

If you break a local law you are liable to the full force of that law.

He's not being deported for incorrectly ticking no to travel, that's the only rule he's broken. He's being deported because he was incorrectly given his visa and shouldn't have one.

Now that the dog and pony show is over it's time for the media to ignore the cause of the whole circus.

That would be the relevant public servants overseas - and their superiors who - for want of a better word - processed the application and allowed him into the country in the first place.

Interestingly the only winners out of this circus are the Anti-vax weasels and their sheep army.

My my my my my how surprising is that??? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

But the issue is that they were giving exemptions for recent covid cases and that's what he was told by TA. If you actually call Aussie border control, which I've done a few times over the last two years, they don't answer your questions - they just send you back to the unclear website and tell you to submit an application to find out. That's what he did.

I'm not trying to defend Novak overall, I like that he's had his visa torn up, but in terms of whether he should have known the rules, I disagree. When the immigration rules are going through constant change nobody actually confidently knows them - including those handing out exemptions, it seems.

He's not being deported for incorrectly ticking no to travel, that's the only rule he's broken.
He's being deported for breaking the law - and those exemptions are and I have to repeat myself again here - IRRELEVANT to his case.

You're getting derailed by minutiae sr.

He broke the law.

He is being deported.

The dispositions of those other cases have NOTHING to do with his.

He's not being deported for incorrectly ticking no to travel, that's the only rule he's broken.
Understanding visa requirements for different countries for people like you and me might prove difficult but he has lawyers at the end of a phone.

It was a nightmare for me to get a visa to China. Read up on all I could get my hands on, in the end I found an agent that helped me complete it.

He's being deported for breaking the law - and those exemptions are and I have to repeat myself again here - IRRELEVANT to his case.

He broke the law.

He is being deported.

Actually I don't think that he was deported for breaking any law although I wish that is what the hearing was about because like you I believe he tried to game the system. He was deported on a Ministerial direction, citing "health and good order grounds".

Considering we have given up trying to contain the virus, and everyone who wants to be vaccinated is now vaccinated, why the * don't we allow unvaccinated people in anyway? Our economy could use all the tourists we can get, and it's not like we can control omicron anyway.

Actually I don't think that he was deported for breaking any law although I wish that is what the hearing was about because like you I believe he tried to game the system. He was deported on a Ministerial direction, citing "health and good order grounds".
Whatever the reason turns out to be Maggie - the country will smell a lot better when he is offshore.

That form was incorrectly filled out and was definitely misleading - how that was not considered reason enough is simply mind boggling.

Let those poor expats who have had their life savings wiped out because they can't get back in have 5 minutes alone in a dark alley with the little creep and I can promise you the results would not be pretty.

Considering we have given up trying to contain the virus, and everyone who wants to be vaccinated is now vaccinated, why the fu** don't we allow unvaccinated people in anyway? Our economy could use all the tourists we can get, and it's not like we can control omicron anyway.
Who is going to serve the tourists, majority of people in the service industry are in isolation

Don't you watch the news? Hospitality, supermarkets, transport are crying out for staff.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He broke the law.

He is being deported.

Which law is he being deported for breaking?

Now that the dog and pony show is over it's time for the media to ignore the cause of the whole circus.

That would be the relevant public servants overseas - and their superiors who - for want of a better word - processed the application and allowed him into the country in the first place.

Interestingly the only winners out of this circus are the Anti-vax weasels and their sheep army.

My my my my my how surprising is that??? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
My Mrs just applied for her Visa to travel to Australia next Month (from Singapore).
All done online…approved within 30 minutes.
Although she still needs to complete all the other declarations before departing.
Still faces an Immigration Officer at Melbourne Airport…who will question her…reason for travel, accommodation, people she know etc.

The details haven't been released yet.

He certainly filled out one of the required forms incorrectly but no details as yet.

You sound like you want to gloat sr.

Perhaps you'd like to do that with the 100's of expats trapped overseas whilst he tried to play the system for his own gain?

I'm disappointed if that's the case.

My Mrs just applied for her Visa to travel to Australia next Month (from Singapore).
All done online…approved within 30 minutes.
Although she still needs to complete all the other declarations before departing.
Still faces an Immigration Officer at Melbourne Airport…who will question her…reason for travel, accommodation, people she know etc.
Therein lies the problem with Djokovic's application then - a half rrrrsed system in place that is open to exploitation.

Not pointing the finger at your girl MML but an online application approved in 30 minutes is an open invitation to trouble.

It still means the minister who approved the approval process is a half wit and the govt culpable for rubber stamping it.

Who is going to serve the tourists, majority of people in the service industry are in isolation

Don't you watch the news? Hospitality, supermarkets, transport are crying out for staff.

So you want us to permanently close our borders to unvaccinated people? Or just until service industry staff are out of isolation? You realise there are plenty of businesses that have enough staff to open and have been SMASHED by lockdowns and border closures who would LOVE more tourists to come.

Now that the dog and pony show is over

What??? What show??? Please direct me to this show and I will retrieve the heavy weapons from our secret pony defence bunker under the Holden Centre. I apologise for any unfortunate canines caught in the crossfire, but sometimes you have to destroy to preserve.

What??? What show??? Please direct me to this show and I will retrieve the heavy weapons from our secret pony defence bunker under the Holden Centre. I apologise for any unfortunate canines caught in the crossfire, but sometimes you have to destroy to preserve.

dogs horse GIF

Considering we have given up trying to contain the virus, and everyone who wants to be vaccinated is now vaccinated, why the fu** don't we allow unvaccinated people in anyway? Our economy could use all the tourists we can get, and it's not like we can control omicron anyway.
Have you considered the medical costs if they end up being hospitalised, particularly in ICU?

They can’t get insurance, so our system will pay.

Australia is only letting it rip now because we have over 90% vaccinated and we can’t deport our own citizens.

Not hard to understand I would have thought?

Understanding visa requirements for different countries for people like you and me might prove difficult but he has lawyers at the end of a phone.

It was a nightmare for me to get a visa to China. Read up on all I could get my hands on, in the end I found an agent that helped me complete it.

TA would have had their lawyers all over it looking for loopholes. I just think that there hadn't been a clear statement that a recent covid case doesn't give an exemption - so noone knew. Atagi seem to suggest it should give an exemption and the officials seem to have been handing them out. TA supposedly tested it with a few pre-Novak. But Novak was too big profile, so a clear statement was made - after he'[d arrived with an exemption...

The details haven't been released yet.

He certainly filled out one of the required forms incorrectly but no details as yet.

You sound like you want to gloat sr.

Perhaps you'd like to do that with the 100's of expats trapped overseas whilst he tried to play the system for his own gain?

I'm disappointed if that's the case.

Sorry no idea what you think I'm gloating about.

And there can't be many Aussie expats still trapped overseas. It's not difficult or particularly expensive to get flights anymore.

Last edited:
The government, on the advice of the health officials, have decided that unvaccinated people are restricted from entry.
These would be the health officials and their teams that study the virus around the world.
Not you who has demonstrated in the past that you have nfi on anything.
Just post the alternate view, no matter the subject.
Ill go with those who have spent a lifetime being educated in their chosen field.

The error was made in the first court case by the judge who didn’t rule on the law, he ruled on the o45 minutes that Novax was denied to contact his lawyers.
He broke the law on his entry declaration. He lied about his previous 14 day travel.
He seriously lied about even having Covid for a second time because he was advised that this loophole existed. Not that hard for a multi millionaire to get a forged certificate.
If the rules around covid change in the next 12 months I’m happy for the minister to exercise his power and allow him back in.
But for now the right decision has been made, no matter the convoluted path.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back