Are you happy Novak is NOT playing the AO

• No

Votes: 67 27.7%
  • Yes

Votes: 135 55.8%
  • Such is Life

Votes: 40 16.5%

• Total voters
Note: This is not a thread to air your views on left/right politics, vaccination mandates or conspiracies, this is a thread to discuss Djokovic and the Australian Open saga only. Humour is accepted and encouraged :D Abuse is not.
Thanks.

AEA78B7C-CABD-42A8-9D94-2ED15A7D2BAB.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
He got in because he lied on his declaration and probably lied about other things.
If that was the case they would have cancelled his visa on those grounds. They didn't. So continuing to repeat that really ads nothing to the conversation. We get it. You personally don't like him or his presence here, it has nothing to do with how he "got in".

There's a lot of conjecture around this part but from what I've seen I think he was at a basketball game on the 14th? Other people from the game were testing positive, don't know if masks were mandated in these situations, don't think they were. His RAT's were coming up negative but got a PCR done anyway. Didn't have to isolate so continued about his business as he was free to do. Found out about his positive result on the 17th, did his interview with one other person, took some precautions doing that, seems he was successful in not spreading it, and then isolated after that. Maybe I'm a bit forgiving because there are people in Australia not isolating at all while infectious which makes Novak's actions here look pretty bloody minor imo
good night closing door GIF by Warner Archive

Alesana

Premiership Player
Oct 13, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
He would have abided by the laws of our country like everyone else has to. No big deal really…

🙄
No big deal is how it looks to me too. If John Smith lied on his travel dec he'd be getting away with it cos the media wouldn't be analysing his every movement.

Not telling the interviewer was poor, but it doesn't mean the interviewer would've cancelled the interview either, he could've been recently recovered from covid for all anybody knew. And word may have then got out that Novak has covid which he obviously wanted kept quiet. The interview was apparently a long time in the making so I get why he went ahead with it, maybe he wouldn't have been able to do it for quite some time if he didn't do it then so he felt like he really owed it to them. Pretty sure that's what has been said anyway. I'd like to hear from the interviewer if he would've done the interview anyway had he known Novak had covid, how many people are going to turn an opportunity like that with him?
Shaking My Head GIF by Grammarly.com

May 31, 2019
Belmont, WA
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Perth Glory, Everton FC, SSC Napoli
Not telling the interviewer was poor, but it doesn't mean the interviewer would've cancelled the interview either, he could've been recently recovered from covid for all anybody knew. And word may have then got out that Novak has covid which he obviously wanted kept quiet. The interview was apparently a long time in the making so I get why he went ahead with it, maybe he wouldn't have been able to do it for quite some time if he didn't do it then so he felt like he really owed it to them. Pretty sure that's what has been said anyway. I'd like to hear from the interviewer if he would've done the interview anyway had he known Novak had covid, how many people are going to turn an opportunity like that with him?
"Owed" it to him by potentially putting him and his family at risk.
This was such a special interview they couldn't do it online like everyone else has been for the last bloody two years worldwide even without being diagnosed?
I understand he is a private person and wouldn't have wanted to share that he contracted it but wouldn't it been better for him to be honest then? He wasn't shy about sharing it in 2020 was he? This would have been so public that NO ONE would of questioned his "exemption" or his bullshit lies. All this drama would of been avoided. However it's clear that it was all false and made up in a quick pressured environment probably the morning he was initially interviewed by Border force without any pre thought cover stories.
But Novak is a proven liar. Look at his career ffs and all those fake injury timeouts to swing momentum. It was most recently noted in the 2020 final with Thiem.
This man is selfish & greedy. If he had any pride he would of boycotted the AO and stood his ground as an anti-vaxer. I can tell you right now he would of been more of a hero to them & even respected by the haters.

Because it's just not that bad. Does he have any links to any bikie gangs? Any history of violent behaviour? Any links to organised crime? Was he smuggling drugs? Anything of any actual substance?
That is missing the point in a pretty gigantic way.
It isn't a subjective or comparative thing when it comes to rules in place worldwide for the pandemic.
It isn't a matter of 'it was just one person he fked with' or 'just one box he ticked wrongly'
Do you get that?
Are you taking the piss? Hard to know.

Nov 16, 2004
Location Location
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Melbourne
If that was the case they would have cancelled his visa on those grounds. They didn't. So continuing to repeat that really ads nothing to the conversation. We get it. You personally don't like him or his presence here, it has nothing to do with how he "got in".
ABF assumed novak filled in the form not Joanne the agent .
Agent knew he was in spain in the last 14 days she would booked the flights . A document that was wrong led to another document produced on false pretences
14. On about 1 January 2022, I authorised my agent to submit my Australia Travel Declaration to the Australian Government Department of Home Affairs, based on my understanding that I was entitled to enter Australia on the basis of my temporary visa and the medical exemption granted to me. On 1 January 2022, my agent received an email from the Department of Home Affairs advising that my Australia Travel Declaration had been assessed. Annexed to this affidavit and marked ‘ND-5’ is a true copy of my Australia Travel Declaration Assessment dated 1 January 2022 advising that I met the requirements for quarantine-free arrival upon my arrival in Australia.

Jun 18, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
The reasons for the cancellation are clearly ludicrous. I expect this gets laughed out of court.

One has to wonder if this was intentional by the Federal Government. No sane person would have received multiple days of legal advice decided to cancel the visa and done so on such spurious reasoning as "the possibility to incite vaccine hesitancy". It feels like a fake to me. Intentionally cancelled on grounds that will be overthrown to appear tough on the border and anti vaxxers while not taking any action.
I hadn't considered this angle but it sadly makes sense

Oct 19, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
I am a fan of his tennis and he is the best player of all time imo but he's got no right to be here when not vaccinated.
He's tried to get in in a dodgy way and that's an insult to people.
He doesn't care about infecting others and should have waited until next year to play.
Every other player im the Open is vaccinated.

Alesana

Premiership Player
Oct 13, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
"Owed" it to him by potentially putting him and his family at risk.
This was such a special interview they couldn't do it online like everyone else has been for the last bloody two years worldwide even without being diagnosed?
I understand he is a private person and wouldn't have wanted to share that he contracted it but wouldn't it been better for him to be honest then? He wasn't shy about sharing it in 2020 was he? This would have been so public that NO ONE would of questioned his "exemption" or his bullshit lies. All this drama would of been avoided. However it's clear that it was all false and made up in a quick pressured environment probably the morning he was initially interviewed by Border force without any pre thought cover stories.
But Novak is a proven liar. Look at his career ffs and all those fake injury timeouts to swing momentum. It was most recently noted in the 2020 final with Thiem.
This man is selfish & greedy. If he had any pride he would of boycotted the AO and stood his ground as an anti-vaxer. I can tell you right now he would of been more of a hero to them & even respected by the haters.
To give some more perspective as to why I don't see the interview itself being that bad; your dentist can be a close contact here (literally living with someone who has covid) and is still allowed to spend hours working just inches above your open mouth, as well as a myriad of other workers.
As for the interview potentially being held online, there was a photoshoot involved so I'd say that's why it was done in person.
Where you say it's obvious that it was all made up, were there any photos or tweets or anything to show Novak wasn't isolating after the interview?

Also here for Wosh's cake
I ain’t baking till the fat lady has sung. I wouldn’t even be surprised if they announce he’s taking over Tiley’s job.

Nov 16, 2004
Location Location
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Melbourne
I hadn't considered this angle but it sadly makes sense
Governments angle puts the court between a rock and a hard place . There has already been a protest outside tennis centre . If he stays and there are further protest as he will be a hero for anti vaxxers which means victorian police will be involved the fed government will just say refer to the judges decision . If he gets booted and there are protests by the anti vaxxers the government will say imagine how bad he was if he was here.

Alesana

Premiership Player
Oct 13, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
He would have abided by the laws of our country like everyone else has to. No big deal really…

🙄
Further to this,

"Providing false or misleading information or documentation to the Commonwealth can lead to visa cancellation and/or attract penalties, including under criminal law."

Keyword there being "can". It is not automatically grounds for deportation like many here seem to believe

Jun 18, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
Governments angle puts the court between a rock and a hard place . There has already been a protest outside tennis centre . If he stays and there are further protest as he will be a hero for anti vaxxers which means victorian police will be involved the fed government will just say refer to the judges decision . If he gets booted and there are protests by the anti vaxxers the government will say imagine how bad he was if he was here.
I don't think it puts the Court between a rock and a hard place. Their job is to apply the law. Regardless of the outcome, the federal government has egg on their face.

torq

Club Legend
Aug 16, 2006
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Ok, in the scheme of things, what would it have changed if the correct box was ticked?

Here's another hypothetical: what would your stance be on Djokovic's deportation if the L'Equippe journalist or one of his close contacts had ended up in hospital with Covid? Who else did this peanut interact with on Dec 18 anyway? We'll probably never know.

And everyone loves a chocolate sponge with cream, Wosh.

May 31, 2019
Belmont, WA
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Perth Glory, Everton FC, SSC Napoli
To give some more perspective as to why I don't see the interview itself being that bad; your dentist can be a close contact here (literally living with someone who has covid) and is still allowed to spend hours working just inches above your open mouth, as well as a myriad of other workers.
As for the interview potentially being held online, there was a photoshoot involved so I'd say that's why it was done in person.
Where you say it's obvious that it was all made up, were there any photos or tweets or anything to show Novak wasn't isolating after the interview?
Well you have given a poor example of a dentist performing an essential service who isn't actually diagnosed but "lives" with someone that is.
Novak was positive and attended a non essential service and kept his mouth shut about it which isn't the same mate.
He was quick to open his mouth about being awarded with an exemption on his social media though. Not bad for a private guy eh......
Anyway I get your angle on it and your beliefs on the situation.
No I personally haven't searched for any photos or information where he was post interview so can't comment on that just going off what we know.
I believe he will get off tommorow anyway and will no doubt upset the majority including me as I haven't seen my Victorian family in so long but it is what it is.
Not sure what he will do moving forward though because he wouldn't even have a sniff at getting in Australia next year unvaxxed.
Best scenario & justice for the majority would be Zverev beating him in the SF. Well I hope 😉

Last edited:

Alesana

Premiership Player
Oct 13, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
I am a fan of his tennis and he is the best player of all time imo but he's got no right to be here when not vaccinated.
He's tried to get in in a dodgy way and that's an insult to people.
He doesn't care about infecting others and should have waited until next year to play.
Every other player im the Open is vaccinated.
1. You do not have to be vaccinated to come here, there are other exemptions from the one Novak had that allow it.
2. You don't know that every other player in the open is vaccinated, someone could have a different exemption to Novak's.

Further to this,

"Providing false or misleading information or documentation to the Commonwealth can lead to visa cancellation and/or attract penalties, including under criminal law."

Keyword there being "can". It is not automatically grounds for deportation like many here seem to believe
I guess I don’t idolise sports people and celebrities like some do, to me he’s just a person who filled out a false declaration to try sneak into the country and make a few million bucks playing a game.

But thanks for helping us get to 200 pages.

zill

King of Mars
Oct 21, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
There was a protest last year outside the tennis centre. Nobody blamed Djokovic for that.

Lying on a travel declaration is never minor
Do you remember when Jonny Depp’s wife Amber Heard lied on travel documents to bring her Dogs Pistol and Boo into the country. She was given a warning.

Back