Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 22, 2003
In limbo.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
MVFC - 2009 Premiers
Hmmmm, this date ring a bell with anyone? :D

Here's a good article from The Age about the last 12 months since 'that night'.

AT 10.30am tomorrow, 16 Australian soccer players will slip quietly through the departure gate at Sydney airport and board a plane bound for Tokyo. No dictaphones will trouble their path. There will be no questions.

A year to the day since Australia qualified for the World Cup, nothing captures the new reality of soccer in this nation more eloquently than the practised ease with which the Matildas have criss-crossed Asia during the past 12 months in pursuit of sporting glory.

Now, with her team preparing to face Japan in a friendly on Sunday, Matildas captain Cheryl Salisbury has been named as one of the final 20 candidates for the FIFA women's world-player-of-the-year award.

She says that without the events of the past 12 months, set in motion by Australia's move into Asia but thrown into warp speed by the Socceroos' performance in Germany, that accolade would never have come.

"I don't think so because, before, we wouldn't have had the exposure," she said. "People wouldn't have been paying attention. So I think the move into Asia has been a really important part of it all — that, and the attention that Australian football generally now attracts, especially since the guys did so well at the World Cup."

This, more than anything, is the face of Australian soccer today. Where once our national teams were starved for regular, meaningful international competition, now they are fed to the point of explosion. Indeed, yesterday the Socceroos played out a 1-1 draw with Ghana in a friendly in London.

There's little doubt that even if events a year ago had not fallen the Socceroos' way, most of these changes would still have taken place.

Reflecting on the anniversary, departing Football Federation Australia chief executive John O'Neill says that he had two speeches prepared for the post-game news conference on November 16, 2005.

The first anticipated qualification. "(The second) basically said, 'Yes, we've lost, but life goes on — and we've got the move into Asia and the continued growth of the A-League to look forward to'," O'Neill said.

"And obviously we would have been disappointed to have to give that speech, but I think we would have, with reason, been telling a credible story."

But qualification accelerated the resurgence— and nothing illustrates that better than the shift our standing overseas has made in the 12 months since.

In the pre-Kaiserslautern years, Australia was greeted in the corridors of power in much the same way that, say, Romania would be greeted in rugby union — with polite, well-meaning condescension. Now, Australia counts for something. It has greater clout at the negotiating table. Its feelings — or, at the very least, our FIFA representatives' votes — are thought important enough that chief Sepp Blatter will grovellingly pander to our sense of post-World Cup injustice. The roster of friendlies is filling up fast.

"That's probably the best measure of the respect that we now have," FFA head of operations Mat Carroll said. "Before the World Cup, whenever we would try to organise friendlies, it was very much a case of, 'Don't call us, we'll call you'. Now we're flooded with approaches from all sorts of different countries. Now they're coming to us."

For all the upbeat patter, the sport's administrators remain aware that the roots of "new football" remain shallow.

According to Carroll, the challenges of the future are being addressed. At a meeting of A-League club chief executives last month, foundations were laid for a range of reforms.

These included the increase of the A-League squad sizes to 23 (the salary cap will also be boosted to $1.7 million); the creation of a youth or B-League; and the expansion of competition for clubs into other leagues, with the possibility of a partnership with the US Major Soccer League to play a regular pre- or post-season tournament.

Probably the most significant change over the next 12 months springs from amendments to FFA playing regulations. From January 1, all Australian clubs and players — amateur and professional — will be registered directly to FFA.

This will replace the mosaic of misunderstanding that used to exist between the countless local and provincial playing associations, and allow FFA direct access to, and control over, the participation base that is the life blood of the sport.

"That will achieve one of the core goals we've set for ourselves, which is reaching back into the community," Carroll said.

In the meantime, the Socceroos will continue to ride Asia's bewildering conveyor belt of meaningful matches unperturbed. O'Neill has a favourite expression for this: "Our dance card is full — it's suddenly consistent year in, year out."

More than anything, the past 12 months have shown that if soccer is to become a long-term success in Australia, it has to dance. The first movements have been jerky, but the rhythm is now starting to set in.

1 Year today football changed a nation when Australia beat Uruguay to Qualify for the 2006 FIFA World Cup. Still brings a tear to the eye.

NOV16-Year1.jpg

AussieFair.jpg

Schwarznegger6.jpg

GermanyHereWeCome.jpg

AloisiCeleb.jpg

Bwwahahahaha.jpg

ThatsforyouJohnny.jpg

who cares

socceroos will never been a contender for the wc or top 5 ranking for that matter

I cared a year ago. So did millions of others.

One of the best nights of my life. And one of the best decisions of my life to make the trip there.

It's worth having a look on YouTube, couple of great highlights packages of the night, particularly the pandemonium in the stands afterwards.

I still remember every detail of that night perfectly. Crying during the Johnny Warren tribute, not being able to hear the Uruguay national anthem, the roar when Bresc scored, the tension, the shootout and the delirium that followed.

The quiet on the train ride home as it all sunk in, followed by the party in the Sydney CBD. Singing every song under the sun in a bar, bumping into fellow football fans and chatting like old friends. Going down to the hotel where Uruguay was staying at 4:30am and singing some more.

A magical night. And the best part is we haven't wasted it. A magnificent performance in Germany, qualification for the Asian Cup and the A-League booming in Melbourne.

I look back on all those horrific times following Australian football and it's great to see the faith of all those people has been rewarded.

I cared a year ago. So did millions of others.

One of the best nights of my life. And one of the best decisions of my life to make the trip there.

It's worth having a look on YouTube, couple of great highlights packages of the night, particularly the pandemonium in the stands afterwards.

I still remember every detail of that night perfectly. Crying during the Johnny Warren tribute, not being able to hear the Uruguay national anthem, the roar when Bresc scored, the tension, the shootout and the delirium that followed.

The quiet on the train ride home as it all sunk in, followed by the party in the Sydney CBD. Singing every song under the sun in a bar, bumping into fellow football fans and chatting like old friends. Going down to the hotel where Uruguay was staying at 4:30am and singing some more.

A magical night. And the best part is we haven't wasted it. A magnificent performance in Germany, qualification for the Asian Cup and the A-League booming in Melbourne.

I look back on all those horrific times following Australian football and it's great to see the faith of all those people has been rewarded.

Sums it up perfectly. I was there that night and it was one of the best nights of my life. I couldn't talk for 3 days afterwards but the smile didn't go away for weeks.

Sensational night.

We were standing behind the gaols where the penalty shootout was, right up the very back.

So many memories from it that I remember vividly -

- The atmosphere right throughout. Even walking to the ground I was astounded by the level of noise. I'd been to the Iran and Uruguay 2001 qualifiers which both had amazing atmosphere, but this was better. Everyone was so pumped up, it was incredible.

- The national anthems. This was HUGE. Normally I would completely condemn booing a national anthem, but after the way our anthem was treated in Montevideo, and the gamesmanship and whining Uruguay pulled in the lead-up to the games and right throughout the series, they got exactly what they deserved. Have got the DVD of the game and watching their players during their anthem you can tell that theyre ****ing themselves as its booed by everyone.

As for our anthem, that was truly a special moment. The renditions at those Iran and Uruguay games in the past were good, but this one was simply unbelievable. Everyone sung it with such gusto and pride, a truly stirring moment. And watching our players on the dvd during this game you can tell that a few of them are close to tears.

- The first half. Bloody hell there were some scary moments early on, our boys looked very shaky. Uruguay questioning the pressure in the balls after 2 minutes reeked of gamesmanship. Obviously Kewell's entrance was the turning point, I was actually skeptical when he came on because I thought he was poor in the first leg, but jesus he was sensational this night, even if his 'pass' to Bresh was the worst mis-kick of his career. The moment Bresh scored was insane, everyone jumping all over each other, beer flying everywhere, just mayhem. We'd survived so much in the first leg, and in the first half in Sydney, and all of a sudden we were level and right back in it.

- The second half. One of the most intense halves I've football I've seen. We played them off the park - we just couldnt find the killer blow. I was desperate for us to win in normal time, I just knew that my heart wouldnt be able to take extra time and a shootout. But the boys were great - Harry tore them apart on the left, Lucas was a rock at the back and Cahill and Grella ran their arses off in midfield.

- Extra time. This was not good, had about five heart attacks during this period, there were about three or four times where Uruguay had very good chances to win it. We had our chances too, but again just couldnt put them away. The tension in extra time was worse than in the second half, everyone in the crowd was just living every moment of it.

- The shootout. As soon as extra time finished, I turned into a 'glass is half empty' kind of guy again, thinking "this is the only way we havent blown/lost it, football gods just love being cruel to us, I cant watch it'. I felt physically sick in the period between extra time finishing and the first penalty. Harry never looked like he was going to miss, and when Schwarzer saved their first one, I allowed myself to feel a little confident, but I still had 000 on standby.

When Viduka missed, I thought that this would be the 'Steve Horvat in 97' and 'Shaun Murphy/Dario Silva 2001' moment for us this time around. I felt sorry for Viduka because he was immense right throughout the two games and it wouldve been cruel on him if we'd lost it after his miss, but I wasnt thinking that at the time. When Schwarzer saved the next one, I just could not believe it. One of the greatest penalty saves I've ever seen. I'll never forget the next minute, someone screaming out at the top of their lungs 'We get the next one we're through!', the whole crowd waiting in anticipation, the woman in the row behind me squeezing my shoulder as though she was hanging on for dear life due to nervousness, and finally Aloisi hit the back the net, and everybody just went insane. There were hugs, tears, beer flying, everybody screaming, everything. A magic moment.

- The scenes after the match were incredible, strangers continued to hug each other, everybody singing 'Down Under', the players doing their lap of honour, there were quite a few people in tears around me and I wasnt that far off. And when we finished and headed back into the city, it was even better, cars honking, people chanting and dancing in the streets, watching the replay at 2am in a pub full of Socceroos fans and sharing the experience.

Fantastic night, one I'll never forget and the most significant one in Australian footballs history.

Remember, remember the 16th of November...

I had so many people around the house that night... a day before our last exam. That goal of Bresh's goes in and the feeling was indiscribable. We were going to make it this time......

Then when we couldnt pull that killer blow the mood changed. Oh no not again this surely cant be right, not again. The half went on and we still couldnt get that goal and even though Uruguay had hardly touched the ball we all knew that it would only take 1 lapse and we were gone......

Extra time came along and everyone was ready to give up but I piped up and said.... "No boys, not this time, this is our time.... there isnt a way in hell we can lose this... not tonight". When Morales missed that sitter with seconds to go they were all starting to believe me.

In that shootout I confess to not being confident in Lucas' penalty taking but he got it through. Viduka misses.... the boys jump straight on my back "I thought you said not tonight !!!!"... Schwarzer makes the save...... Adelaides biggest hero John Aloisi steps up and as Craig Foster summed it up in the greatest bit of commentary ever ... COME ONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN AUSTRALIA !!!! Ive never seen any of my mates so emotional, nor my mum or dad... who dont really follow soccer much. This was the greatest sporting moment ive ever witnessed... Americas Cup and things like that ive never seen. What a night

Found this on YouTube - check this out.

I've been to a lot of sporting events in my lifetime, but that was a night I'll never forget. I was in the Green & Gold Army section behind the goals, and I've never experienced an atmosphere anything like that night.

I was a nervous wreck, and I'll have to admit that up until Schwartzer's last save I was never confident. The moment when Aloisi stepped up and slotted home the penalty is a moment that will live in my memory forever. The green and gold eruption, hugging complete strangers, singing away the night.

To celebrate the anniversary, I'm watching the DVD of the game. Bresciano's just scored - how good is it!!! :D :D

Im also watching it...... I still cant get Fozzies words outta my head.... COOOOOMMMEEE OONNNNNNN AUSTRALIA !!!! I still get excited watching it now. Id rather be at U2 tonight though.... mates are ringing me on my song requests..... brilliant way to celebrate the anniversary of the best sporting night of my life

Ditto, I remember the drinking and chanting in the bar across the road from the Stadium filled with about 5000 fans...awesome.
Delerium when Bresc's goal went in, delerium after each penalty...I wouldnt swap that feeling for anything.

haha, yeah me too, except I was going nuts on the train.
CBD was unreal, finally all sunk in at about 7am with the mind ticking on how I was going to afford to fly to Germany in less than 7 months time:D :thumbsu:

Greatest sporting event I have been to and one of the best nights of my life. Since then, I have been to the world cup, and I have also been to two Olympic games and 4 AFL grand finals (admittingly none involving the dogs), but nothing compares to that night. The Croatia game in Germany comes close, but it still can’t top it.

To ensure I got my ticket, I bought a ticket to the Vanuato game. I don’t live in Sydney, but I bought the ticket anyway to secure my FFA family status. Best $20 I ever spent. Meant that I could buy 6 tickets to the Uruguay match and the whole family went along.

Getting off the train at Homebush at 5pm and the brewery bar was full. The singing emanating from the pub was nothing that this country had seen (heard!) before. I turned to my brother and we couldn’t believe what we were seeing/hearing. We finally had become a footballing nation so it seemed.

As Leon stated, the Jonny Warren tribute to You’ll never walk alone was spine tingling. My brother was absolutely filthy as he missed it, as he was off getting his round! The booing of the national anthem is something I would never agree with, however for this night it seemed ok. It was us sending a message, it was our time. The whole night just had a special aura to it, which made you believe that finally we would make it. Our anthem was sung with so much pride and passion.

Kewell turned the match. He was awesome. The Bresciano goal sent a roar around the stadium that vibrated around the country. It was what we deserved as we dominated, although we did survive a few tense moments. Further the crowd gave it to Recoba the whole night, until he was finally replaced.

The shoot out was the first time in my life I truly couldn’t watch. However I did and my heart rate must have been off the wall, when Aloisi stepped up. When he finished the greatest nude run in history he stopped right in front of where we were sitting. I didn’t cry, but I definitely had a tear in the eye.

Post match the train ride was somewhat spoiled by some victory boys continually reminding everyone of the 5-1 against Syd FC. Someone rightly yelled out to them, who gives a f*** which almost caused a fight. Headed to a small bar in town and watched the replay. We kept singing ‘’All we hear is, ‘’TON-I-O VID-MAR’’

As Bruce would say, special.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of the absolute best nights of my life. My brother & I went over for it and were in the GGA behind the goal the shootout was at towards the back. The atmosphere was incredible, I can remember the stand shaking underneath my feet. I remember when Aloisi was walking up & we were all arm in arm just like the team, my brother & I kept saying "he's an Adelaide boy - he wont miss". The sheer euphoria & relief when that ball hit the net was overwhelming, I let out a primal roar & jumped into my brothers arms and we just screamed, jumped, hugged & cried. It was unbelievable. I don't know if I'll ever see anything that will top that.

I was at the Rosemont here in Adelaide which was packed to the rafters, it was amazing when the anthems were on we were booing theirs and sung ours (which looking back is ridiculous cause we were miles away!) when Bresh's goal went in the place went nuts I think about five tables got broken within 20 seconds from people just jumping everywhere. Second half was actually really quite and it quieter in extra time cause it was so tense, when it got to penalties a lot of us were thinking oh no not a new way to go out then when Aloisi's went in the whole place went nuts! People just jumping onto pool tables and and chairs and everyone just hugging complete strangers! I burst into tears was just so bloody emotional! And then five minutes later a guy turns up with a tray top truck and about 50 of us piled in and went flying around the town! I didnt get home much before 330 in the morning, took the day off work after as well which was lucky because I ended up in the paper the next day with pictures and interviews!

Yep i was there too, made the decision to fly up just 1 day earlier and great night it was, i remember though i felt different to the others i was in a sort of surreal state through the penalty shootout but calm, like i assummed and knew we'd be getting through. Wierd feeling.

Can't say it's the best sporting event i've ever seen though, cause i was one of the lucky ones that got tickets to germany and saw every match over there. The whole Japan day was supreme, couldn't have planned it better myself, Aloisi's sealer was the best moment in my sporting life. Stuttgart/Croatia too, a night i'll never forget. Whole world cup was awesome, never forget my memories of following the lads all round southern germany, the trips on the aussie express, drinking in those huge beer gardens, highlights of my life.

Hope we get to south africa, wouldn't be missing it for anything. I'm also going to watch us in the asian cup next year. Gotta follow those socceroos boys.

Yeh would also have to say it was one of the best nights in my life. We gathered many people from around the neighbourhood and when we won, it was a feeling that would be remembered for the rest of our lives. We all started hugging and cheering and the next day at school was a see of green and gold.

I think it would be remembered because we are a nation that normally dominate in every sport, but with Soccer it was a sport that had eluded us for so long and the fact that we made the world cup brought the nation closer together.

The Japan and Croatian games would be very close in terms of how good the feeling was because the event was so captivating. I remember 10 mins to go 1-0 down was getting anxious and to see us win the match was so exciting. I remembered the whole street was outside and it created a great atmosphere.

One thing that I will remember the most is the top shelf commentating from Simon Hill. His passion for the situation he was in and his adopted country was second to none. Just hearing "CAHILL, HIS DONE IT AGAIN, WHAT A WONDERSTRIKE FROM THE WONDERBOY" if something that inspires me everytime when i view the video.

* November 16 what a *en documentary that is. Think I've seen it before, although can't really recall. Was on just now on Foxtel, if you haven't watched it do so.

Unreal

Still the best sporting moment I have watched as it happened, even better than the Bulldogs winning in 2016.

Howie did a podcast on it a few years ago, talks about the failed campaigns as well. I thought it was great.

Last edited:
- The national anthems. This was HUGE. Normally I would completely condemn booing a national anthem, but after the way our anthem was treated in Montevideo, and the gamesmanship and whining Uruguay pulled in the lead-up to the games and right throughout the series, they got exactly what they deserved. Have got the DVD of the game and watching their players during their anthem you can tell that theyre ****ing themselves as its booed by everyone.

In typical Australia fashion I remember there was backlash the next day obviously by people who had no actual interest in the sport and jumped on the bandwagon just for the game.

The commentary also got criticised for being too bias LOL!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back