Now Jobe is coming back-whats happening to the Brownlow?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmmm. Justin Koschitze was BoG three games in a row in 2008 and polled 9 Brownlow Votes in those games.

So merely performing at an elite level for short periods of time makes you 'great' or 'very good' now does it??

Oh how the mighty have fallen.

A guy plays 8 weeks of good footy, then his body breaks down because it can't handle the demands of the game (as it had always been), and that's hard evidence of a great player??

Oh dear.

Watson had his career high of 42 disposals in 2008 you know. But his body wouldn't allow him to play that sort of footy every week. Yet he plays 8 good games then his body throws in the towel - and that's demonstrable and verifable that he's a great or very, very good player??

He played great footy in 2012. For a whole season. What made it great was his physicality, his strength, his running and his durability. His 'time on ground' was extreme.

All these areas were flaws prior to 2012.

His clangers, efficiency etc. were much the same. It was his body that improved in 2012.

#putoutyourtinfoilhats #madas**** #nfi

But if the PED program turned him from mediocre to great, why didn't all the other players go with him?
Same players, all given PEDS you would think the balance would be the same, yet he won the B&F

Not sure what you mean?

But we all know PEDs don't work the same for every body. PEDs allow you to recover faster, and subsequently train more.

Where your body would have needed to recover previously, you can be training already. Where you might have broken down previously due to the load, you can keep training.

Which obviously makes you far better in which ever area you've been training in.

And possibly for Watson, his body was the key factor between him getting 42 touches in a game but fading out during other games and throughout the season, or being able to be stopped by fitter and/or stronger opponents, or being able to play good footy in patches but his body breaking down due to the load - and being able to play 72% game time for a full season at a high level.

Regardless, the original argument I posed isn't solely about his ability.

It is why Essendon fans have been sucked in by this return of the messiah - when the so-called messiah wasn't ever really any good except for one season, and his leadership was pathetic.

That's the original query, and I'm yet to have it explained to me.

So far I've had Jade declaring him a great because he played 8 good games in one season, followed by a great season the next year and that supposedly makes him 'revere worthy'.

I can't think of any of club or player that would revere a player for playing 8 good games, getting injured then coming back and playing one great season?

Not sure what you mean?

But we all know PEDs don't work the same for every body. PEDs allow you to recover faster, and subsequently train more.

Where your body would have needed to recover previously, you can be training already. Where you might have broken down previously due to the load, you can keep training.

Which obviously makes you far better in which ever area you've been training in.

And possibly for Watson, his body was the key factor between him getting 42 touches in a game but fading out during other games and throughout the season, or being able to be stopped by fitter and/or stronger opponents, or being able to play good footy in patches but his body breaking down due to the load - and being able to play 72% game time for a full season at a high level.

It is why Essendon fans have been sucked in by this return of the messiah - when the so-called messiah wasn't ever really any good except for one season, and his leadership was pathetic.

So far I've had Jade declaring him a great because he played 8 good games in one season, followed by a great season the next year and that supposedly makes him 'revere worthy'.

I can't think of any of club or player that would revere a player for playing 8 good games, getting injured then coming back and playing one great season?
No one can be this stupid. Surely.

Nah he was always a good player, just never kicked the football much, always looked to handball, as soon as he got his confidence up with his kicking, he got better as a player also.

There was also the changes to his fitness that he implemented, the changes to his leadership style when he took over the captaincy.... a whole bunch of stuff.

But you don't seem to get it. He just had a super year on DRUGZ OK????

Nah he was always a good player, just never kicked the football much, always looked to handball, as soon as he got his confidence up with his kicking, he got better as a player also.
This is true - I'd forgotten that. I always think about Watson when you see a gifted young midfielder who always looks to handball. Once Watson improved by foot his game took a big leap. Hoping Clarry Oliver develops that side of his game.

I'm glad he has decided to play on. Took some personal strength not to just chuck it in. I'll be interested to see how he goes - a forced rest may well mean his body can carry on a bit longer than otherwise if he had just played on through the frequent inevitable injuries as your body ages. It's a fascinating experiment really, even if forced through circumstances.

This is true - I'd forgotten that. I always think about Watson when you see a gifted young midfielder who always looks to handball. Once Watson improved by foot his game took a big leap. Hoping Clarry Oliver develops that side of his game.

I'm glad he has decided to play on. Took some personal strength not to just chuck it in. I'll be interested to see how he goes - a forced rest may well mean his body can carry on a bit longer than otherwise if he had just played on through the frequent inevitable injuries as your body ages. It's a fascinating experiment really, even if forced through circumstances.

It's a great unknown for all those blokes.

It's effectively unprecedented to sit out the game for a year when not enforced by injury.

Will make Essendon the hardest team to predict next year IMO.

It's a great unknown for all those blokes.

It's effectively unprecedented to sit out the game for a year when not enforced by injury.

Will make Essendon the hardest team to predict next year IMO.
I think the psychological impact of the break might play out differently depending on the person, though you would think the personal resilience to come back when you needn't, especially for the older guys, bodes well.

Looking past the unhappy circumstances, it's really interesting though. I would bet a few sports scientists will observe with interest.

I think the psychological impact of the break might play out differently depending on the person, though you would think the personal resilience to come back when you needn't, especially for the older guys, bodes well.

Looking past the unhappy circumstances, it's really interesting though. I would bet a few sports scientists will observe with interest.
Forgive me for shuddering when I read those words, PG.

Forgive me for shuddering when I read those words, PG.
Yeah whoops. Though I can't imaging your greedy, not so qualified types would have a deep interest in something as unprofitable as resting the body.

You're not really shuddering. More just your ears are twitching.

Last edited:
Yeah whoops. Though I can't imaging you're greedy, not so qualified types would have a deep interest in something as unprofitable as resting the body.

You're not really shuddering. More just your ears are twitching.
My jaw set itself and my teeth started grinding, definitely.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

and he worked with Greg Williams to improve his kicking technique which, in turn, increased his confidence.

Not sure what you mean?

The return of a messiah?

Wtf are you about?

He's easily our best player of the last 10 years and a favourite son of the club. Of course people want him back.

You can think whatever you want.

It was rebound 50s, more time on the ground, more clearances, more contested possession and more kicks.

There was far more to his improvement than merely kicking more.

Ah right.

If Jobe never took teh drugz he'd have been delisted 6 years ago and would be making coffees while playing for Aberfeldie.

Happy?

No.

I've never said, nor suggested that.

Prior to 2012, he was an Ok/Average player. Due to Essendon's shitness during the last decade he's been there, I'd doubt he'd have been delisted.

It's just worth noting that post PEDs, he improved remarkably in areas relating to his body.

I'm no big city lawyer, but I'm, pretty sure that's exactly what PEDs are designed to achieve, and why they're banned. If a guy is average, takes PEDs, then becomes really good - it's not an outrageously long bow to draw to suggest that they have been a factor in that improvement.

I'm a bit sick of the Jobe Watson* good bloke wankfest. He was the captain of a club where young men, some teenagers, were subjected to a drug taking regime. Careers, reputations ruined and who knows what health, mental or physical problems were caused.

A real leader would have actually been brave and stood up to do something about.

I'm a bit sick of the Jobe Watson* good bloke wankfest. He was the captain of a club where young men, some teenagers, were subjected to a drug taking regime. Careers, reputations ruined and who knows what health, mental or physical problems were caused.

A real leader would have actually been brave and stood up to do something about.

But geez he's a good bloke though.

Yeah who actually thinks he's a good bloke? The man is a scum bag.

Also, what a wank off hat today, respect lowered.

Hmmmm. Justin Koschitze was BoG three games in a row in 2008 and polled 9 Brownlow Votes in those games.

So merely performing at an elite level for short periods of time makes you 'great' or 'very good' now does it??
Please point out Justin Koschitze's multiple BnFs and All-Australian nods please.

Jobe was more than an "average" player before 2012. He'd been consistently ranked one of the better inside mids in the game for a few years at that point.

He made the All-Australian squad in 2010 for goodness sake. He would've made it in 2011 if he wasn't cut down by injury. Made it in 2012. Made it in 2013. What more do you want?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back