Now that Hudson's gone, it's time for a forwardline overhaul

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 17, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Our forwardline structure was horrendous this year - only playing 2 genuine forwards with no crumbing small meant the ball bounced out like a pinball. Not to mention our only avenue to goal was pumping it long and hoping Brown or Bradshaw would outmark 3 defenders. Hudson was one of the best shots on goal you will see, but we were one of the most inaccurate teams in the league. Any team that has 2 players scoring or setting up 90+ goals each should not be struggling up forward.

So how would you set-up our forwardline in 2009?

I think we have to play Brown and Bradshaw deep in the 50 where they work best together. I was all up for playing Hooper more through the middle this year but he struggled to have an effect, and he is the only player on our list who is a genuine crumber.

We hardly had a half forward line last year and this is where we really broke down. Structure-wise, I thought we looked best when Mills was playing as a leading target in 2007 as a link between our midfield and Brown. The only problem was he couldn't kick. I would play Clouston or Henderson in that role, or Clark if he isn't needed in the ruck. I would also play Johnstone and Power a little deeper on the flanks to give us some quality ball use into our big targets.

No team plays with 6 forwards these days, but if we had Hooper, Bradshaw, and Brown as stay-at-home forwards, and one of Clouston/Henderson/Clark starting just inside the 50 and leading up the ground I think we will look a lot better. It also helps with the problem of clearing the ball out of defence.

When the opposition drops a man back into the hole we need to do something! Not just hope and pray that Brown/Bradshaw can beat multiple defenders. This is where I would use McGrath if he is still there. He can take a pretty good mark and is quite quick on the lead and would challenge the loose defender to be more accountable.

Merrett back to full-forward!

Seriously though, we need to set up structures going forward to allow our mids to run inside 50 and take shots. Rischitelli, Adcock, Notting, Brennan and Proud are all decent goal kickers on the run. They just need to back themselves.

Get that sorted out, and get a bloody crumber running round the feet of our forwards like a fox terrier, and we'll be ok.

Corrie and Copeland up forward. Oh wait...

Drummond to play permanently on the half forward flank. Constant threat from outside 50, will be able to spot up a B or B and will demand a decent rebounding defender which he can pull up field if required. Patfull is more than capable of playing the quarterback role and if not, then Roe. Adcock could go back to gain confidence if he doesn't start well or Collier could be groomed down there too.

In addition I'd rotate Proud and Hooper from midfield to forward pocket all game long. And I'm all for Mitch Clark playing the lead up half forward role this year with Hendo at CHB.

Drummond to play permanently on the half forward flank.

I've had the same idea. His defensive side is nowhere near elite, and if has the ball in space within 60 metres of goal he's a threat.

We'd need someone else to take our kick-ins though.

Its almost worth taking Jack Ziebell for his potential to play a Drummond role up forward. Elite disposal and he can kick 60 metres off either foot.

If Drummo goes forward I wouldn't mind Clark playing that loose man in defence role (similar to Fletcher). His height and athleticism makes him a hard person to get around, and he is a good user of the footy in general play.

Merrett back to full-forward!

Seriously though, we need to set up structures going forward to allow our mids to run inside 50 and take shots. Rischitelli, Adcock, Notting, Brennan and Proud are all decent goal kickers on the run. They just need to back themselves.

Get that sorted out, and get a bloody crumber running round the feet of our forwards like a fox terrier, and we'll be ok.
If you have Merrett as your full forward then where will Bradshaw and Brown go to.

Any player playing forward of centre is permitted to kick goals, especially the midfielders and the 'other four' playing inside 50 :p

Lets get back to our glory years where our midfielders kicked 20% of our goals, compared to the last few where we'd have lucky to have got 20 goals in total.

On a similar but different topic, a few pies posters think Corrie is an automatic inclusion to their forward line, specifically the pocket, and they are rapt that Hudson is headed there after the success he had at brisbane under Matthews. I think the fact his contract was up made it an easier decision to move him on as we seemed to go backwards this season.

I'd like to see Brown playing 20 - 25 metres ahead of Bradshaw, giving space to him on the lead and also leaving him (and his opponent) far enough away from Brown so the big fella has more of an opportunity to go one on one (or prob two on one). Also another tall (Hendo or Clark if he aint playing CHB) down there to work with Bradshaw rather than Bradshaw work with Brown - I reckon Brown should be left to his own.

And Hooper to crumb. CRUMB.

I think Drummond at HFF would be a great move - he is a goal kicker when he moves forward out of defence with the run of play - he can also provide low bullet like passes to Brownshaw to nullify the double and triple marking of them somewhat which has become so prevalent(and works well for the opposition).

Getting the ball away successfully from goal square kick ins is a big priority for 2009 as well - Drummond has been easily our best at that but I do like the forward option for him

Drummond had a stint at half forward in 06 I think and from memory it wasn't all that successful (struggled to find the ball).
As good as Drummond can look I dont reckon he's particularly versatile.Its a lot tougher playing at HF when you have opposition coming from all angles.I think his current role where he can run pretty much in a straight line and unload is what is best for the team.

Its seems to me small crumbing forwards weren't allowed at Brisbane.

Hooper & Corrie's primary job was to chase down attacking backs.

They would have needed to be Superman to get to front & centre so far away from the contesting forwards were they!

Which was a pity as defenders were really only interested in punching the ball away from Brown & Bradshaw and there were opportunities for their particular skills & speed.

Lets blame Hudson as he is no longer around, but being at the games, it looked from a distance like Browny was calling the shots on the forward line!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lets blame Hudson as he is no longer around, but being at the games, it looked from a distance like Browny was calling the shots on the forward line!

Are you implying Brown is a goal hog? I just don't see it myself.

As long as he has been on our list he has been a true exponent of the "if you can't mark the ball, make a contest and bring it to ground" technique. Lynchy taught him well.

As long as he has been on our list he has been a true exponent of the "if you can't mark the ball, make a contest and bring it to ground" technique. Lynchy taught him well.

True, but on the flip-side, another small forward loitering around either of them means there's another defender to give someone a chop out. It's impossible to isolate Brownshaw AND have someone crumbing at their feet.

I defintiely don't think Browny is guilty of trying to hog goals, but noone can deny that Brisbane is Brownshaw centric.

I think we really need a legitimate third medium/tall forward option to pressure their third tall defender and also make the Hooper/Crumber vs small defender match-up go more our way. At times this year I thought Hooper was having to play both roles. This player must be able to take a strong grab, needs speed on the lead, and must make his shots at goal count. I'm thinking someone like Brett Ebert or Rusling.

This year, TJ, Corrie, Power/Black resting, Bushy even - none of these guys were drawing a real defender, teams could play runners who were less strong overhead and keep that extra man back in the hole. Brennan does this third tall role, but I don't think he should be counted on as a forward in '09.

I think Ziebell and Yarran from this draft could definitely play this role in 2010 if not '09. This year I'd like to see Ash given more of a run up there, kid can take a good grab, knows the craft, combines well with BB. Maybe depending on what happens with Jedda and how Colm, Pearce and Tommy C come along down back.

There are a few experiments that i would like to see during the off/pre seasons.

1. Can Brown, Bradshaw and Clark coexist in the forward line. The obvious argument against is 'too tall' however with the right options chosen by those deliverying the ball it would be hard to defend.

2. Can Drummond play HFF? To me this would be the ultimate 'flood buster' if defences flood back into space to cover our talls im more than happy with Drummo kicking at goals from 55m out.

3. Can Proud spend time in the forward pocket. This may be an avenue to get more time on the field into Albert, and release Hooper to inject some pace and tackling pressue further up the field. I would feel more comfortable with a set shot for goal, the extra option would be nice.

If Clark/Drummo/Proud can prove reliable avenues to goal in addition to Brown and Bradshaw we will a lot more dangerous and actually have Plan B.

I always thought Mcrae was the most underrated player in our history. He stopped so many rebounds with strong tackling.

LOOOOOOOVE Browny and wouldn't call him a goal hog.But his nose did seem out of joint early in the season when Bradshaws return was so productive and made his own impact seem rather second rate at times. After winning the Coleman in 2007 it would have been harder for him to take. All great players have healthy ego's and even a great club man like Browny's would have taken a hit early on in the season....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back