NOW to sometime later in the year (maybe) - Talk about anything

Remove this Banner Ad

Play it like the vets finals/cricket finals

1v4
2v3
Winners to gf
Win or go home

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think all you guys are getting ahead of your self,You expect life will be normal 19 June ,social rooms open,no crowd restrictions etc,at this stage you are dreaming.Mitcham,s next 2 games 19/26 June are away,what about the sides that play home games on both those dates I hope I am proved wrong but the current restrictions will hurt a lot of clubs in the last 2 weeks of June if still in and playing at home.

Can’t see any games next weekend. 150 person cap is unworkable and too much pressure on volunteers. Country leagues aren’t playing this weekend with those restrictions in place.

We understand regional leagues and clubs have questions, such as specifics around the 150-person cap per venue. AFL Victoria is working with the state government to get answers to various questions regarding senior club football in regional areas for this weekend.

I expect we’ll see this won’t apply for outdoor community sport. No probs on limits for indoor areas but for 90% of grounds that are unfenced reserves a limit isn’t workable.

There’s no limits on parks at any other times, dunno about others but throughout lockdown if you go to my local ground at 5pm any day there is literally hundreds of people, kids, families, dogs having their outing for the day.

Just my two cents

We understand regional leagues and clubs have questions, such as specifics around the 150-person cap per venue. AFL Victoria is working with the state government to get answers to various questions regarding senior club football in regional areas for this weekend.

I expect we’ll see this won’t apply for outdoor community sport. No probs on limits for indoor areas but for 90% of grounds that are unfenced reserves a limit isn’t workable.

There’s no limits on parks at any other times, dunno about others but throughout lockdown if you go to my local ground at 5pm any day there is literally hundreds of people, kids, families, dogs having their outing for the day.

Just my two cents

My point goes back to non use of social rooms during and after games or even restrictions.Non use of social rooms will hurt home clubs badly especially if presidents luuncheons etc are banned.

My point goes back to non use of social rooms during and after games or even restrictions.Non use of social rooms will hurt home clubs badly especially if presidents luuncheons etc are banned.

I think if the only real restrictions were 50 or whatever in indoor areas, it would go ahead and most clubs would be relatively happy.

Obviously not perfect without being able to have big indoor functions but it’s probably workable.

Would seem unlikely that games will go ahead with the 25Km travel restriction still in place. That would mean a number of games in different Divisions couldn't be played.

If there's a "no crowd" rule I reckon a lot of leagues won't play. It can't be enforced anyway - they're public parks, if people want to come they can - but it would mean no gate takings, food or bar. Not really viable.

Been to two games this year where it's impossible to stop people getting in without paying. How do those clubs make money?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Been to two games this year where it's impossible to stop people getting in without paying. How do those clubs make money?

Its actually impossible at any ground. If it’s a public reserve, if somebody wants to come in they can. Admission is really little more than a goodwill gesture.

This is just a typical government directive that makes no sense in reality. It’ll be just like any other game - except clubs can’t make money.

Its actually impossible at any ground. If it’s a public reserve, if somebody wants to come in they can. Admission is really little more than a goodwill gesture.

This is just a typical government directive that makes no sense in reality. It’ll be just like any other game - except clubs can’t make money.
I guarantee you it wont be like any other game. In the end its up to the council if they allow clubs to use the grounds and they feel its safe to do so. Last saturday there was council members taking photos at a couple of club training sessions in the NFNL to make sure they were doing the right thing. If they again go saturday and there is too many people, they will just shut the game down unfortuntaely

I guarantee you it wont be like any other game. In the end its up to the council if they allow clubs to use the grounds and they feel its safe to do so. Last saturday there was council members taking photos at a couple of club training sessions in the NFNL to make sure they were doing the right thing. If they again go saturday and there is too many people, they will just shut the game down unfortuntaely
no they won't

There's no basis for them to do so. At training there are straightforward regulations in place in terms of numbers, and as a club you're responsible for your coaches, players and officials.

You're not responsible for other random people on a public reserve - just like there's people walking around a park while training is on. They can and will do the same thing on Saturday and they have every right to - it's a public space.

The rules here are not valid. They're impossible to follow - they contradict each other - and totally unenforceable. If you read the rules in totality, the only logical way they can be followed is by somebody - the police, really - policing which direction people are looking in a public reserve. It's absolutely laughable.

What's happened - written by an official as a box-ticking exercise. Pretend not to hear when questioned.

Reality - no enforcement, only impact is clubs can't make any money to cover costs.

There's no basis for them to do so. At training there are straightforward regulations in place in terms of numbers, and as a club you're responsible for your coaches, players and officials.

You're not responsible for other random people on a public reserve - just like there's people walking around a park while training is on. They can and will do the same thing on Saturday and they have every right to - it's a public space.

The rules here are not valid. They're impossible to follow - they contradict each other - and totally unenforceable. If you read the rules in totality, the only logical way they can be followed is by somebody - the police, really - policing which direction people are looking in a public reserve. It's absolutely laughable.

What's happened - written by an official as a box-ticking exercise. Pretend not to hear when questioned.

Reality - no enforcement, only impact is clubs can't make any money to cover costs.

I actually feel for the home clubs next week end.Great for the players to be playing again but how much is this going to cost the home clubs in lost revenue.To the clubs that are struggling financially is it better for these clubs to play or not play.Difficult for everyone and perhaps we might see a few EFNL followers who want to watch a game of local footy, they might head out and watch a Outer East game where crowd limits are 1,000. Berwick play at home this week,will their crowd limit be 1,000?

I actually feel for the home clubs next week end.Great for the players to be playing again but how much is this going to cost the home clubs in lost revenue.To the clubs that are struggling financially is it better for these clubs to play or not play.Difficult for everyone and perhaps we might see a few EFNL followers who want to watch a game of local footy, they might head out and watch a Outer East game where crowd limits are 1,000. Berwick play at home this week,will their crowd limit be 1,000?

“Metro” includes Yarra Ranges and Cardinia I think, so be travelling a fair way.

I wonder how many supporters Croydon lost when they started putting a fence around the ground and would chase and hound down anyone who tried to get in without paying.

The same thing at Mooroolbark, I wanted to watch an under 19 game only once and was still forced aggressively to pay full admission.

Berwick play at home this week,will their crowd limit be 1,000?

Doubt they'll be allowed a crowd if other EFL teams aren't. Technically Berwick is part of metro Melbourne, at least according to those that make the rules.

I hope they do though, be good to be able to see a game!

EFNL Netball had their statement out earlier today. Nothing from EFNL yet on footy. Probably indicates they are contacting clubs to get a feel on how to proceed.

EFNL Netball had their statement out earlier today. Nothing from EFNL yet on footy. Probably indicates they are contacting clubs to get a feel on how to proceed.

They’re also waiting on AFL Vic to provide updated Return To Play protocols. AFL Vic say they are waiting on the government.

Its all such a stupid situation - for the simple reason that the govt doesn’t actually know local footy is played on public reserves and this they haven’t thought thru it. Amazing.

They’re also waiting on AFL Vic to provide updated Return To Play protocols. AFL Vic say they are waiting on the government.

Its all such a stupid situation - for the simple reason that the govt doesn’t actually know local footy is played on public reserves and this they haven’t thought thru it. Amazing.
Yes, it's a bit like the "Don't Throw The Footy Back" instruction.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back