nick2397

Rookie
Apr 7, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Croydon
Interested to see what Croydon does this weekend if restrictions stay in place

They usually erect temporary fencing around the oval so they can funnel people in at the gates

In a similar scenario against East Ringwood in June, no temporary fencing was used. Spectators just stayed away from the pavilion and were scattered around the ground.

Crusey

Team Captain
May 1, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
They can have a gate to charge opposition players and officials cant see them bothering to fence off if general public arent supposed to be there

I will be walking my dog at around 2pm at the skate park nearby

Bobby Beecroft

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 25, 2003
Junction Oval Goalsquare
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Brisbane Lions THFC
Premier the only comp playing 3 weeks of finals. All others only 2. Where is the carry on for this? Thats weak.

All others must have serious $$ issues etc, etc, etc, etc, & any other conspiracy theories that surface. 😜

CliffMcTainshaw

Premiership Player
Apr 11, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Cill Chainnigh
I can't remember going to any finals at Ringwood since the 1972 Grand Final between East Hawthorn and Scoresby when the East Hawthorn supporters rioted and people actually jumped out of the Grandstand to get away from the drunken thugs that made up the East Hawthorn supporters. There was a lot of verbal abuse going on in the Grandstand. I was at the opposite end from where the trouble started. Luckily I left earlier and went to get something to eat, met a couple of mates and didn't go back up.
Found this online. Des Burns was a good bloke, but passed away a few years ago. Wouldn't have given you 2 cents for his brother though.
East Hawthorn Scoresby Grand Final Riot.jpg

Tackle Bag

Club Legend
Dec 5, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
This week gone. Be nice if it was a seven day lockdown but we haven’t one that short yet I don’t think.

That would leave D2 going into finals off a 12 game season. Can’t see finals happening.
Any chance they slide D2 back a week or two to get these lost games in?

that way each side gets to play each other twice still and finals proceed in line with the other divs.

Oct 5, 2004
Moving Around
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Avoca FNC, Ouyen Kangas FNC
Considering the disruption and uncertainty, I think it would be best to just abandon the year and look forward to hopefully a normal 2022. The pressures on clubs and their volunteers is significant and the associated costs (negative mainly) can’t necessarily be measured as they don’t just cover finances. Momentum has been lost and in many cases, interest has totally waned. Best to wind things up and hopefully see the community return to some normality once the majority of the population becomes vaccinated.

Last edited:

Voice of the G

Premiership Player
Jan 18, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Considering the disruption and uncertainty, I think it would be best to just abandon the year and look forward to hopefully a normal 2022. The pressures on clubs and their volunteers is significant and the associated costs (negative mainly) can’t necessarily be measured as they don’t just cover finances. Momentum has been lost and in many cases, interest has totally waned. Best to wind things up and hopefully see the community return to some normality once the majority of the population becomes vaccinated.

Similar thoughts and expressed how I felt last night.After a couple of beers with some of our committee and volunteers last night we are all hurting and struggle which is the best way to go and keep running into dead ends.Important to think of what the EFNL and all our football committees and even us volunteers are going through and our players,some which might need the money for their loss of pay because of covid.I still maintain No.1 is we started with 46 teams this season and we want those 46 back next year.We all know football clubs need players but those players need a club.As for promotion/relegation surely we put that in the to hard basket till at least till xmas.I am sure some of you will disagree with what I am saying but please think of our club committees,us volunteers and the EFNL itself when you want to make comment.Stay safe every one and do the right thing in this current lock down,from what I heard a few let us down in the games played in the lower divisions last week end.PS This is a personal opinion not clubs.

Last edited:

Navyblues09

Club Legend
Sep 3, 2009
Templestowe
AFL Club
Carlton
This is the problem with choosing not to play when you have the opportunity, now how long until top 2 divisions get back given they need a week of training for every 2 weeks of no football, they won’t get back until September at this rate…

Voice of the G

Premiership Player
Jan 18, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
This is the problem with choosing not to play when you have the opportunity, now how long until top 2 divisions get back given they need a week of training for every 2 weeks of no football, they won’t get back until September at this rate…

Why did you make the comment that the top 2 divisions decided they needed a extra week for training.Please look at the big picture with these 2 grades,loss of funds for home clubs hosting without crowds,home clubs trying to police covid rules,loss of income for home clubs that have organised social functions and of cause clubs that no hope of finals action and to play on they are further into debt.I repeat No.1 is the survival of our clubs As for promotion and relegation we scrap but lets do a East Burwood 2021 and Coldstream promoted to D3 in 2022 Cliff.My call is call off the season now,to many unknown hurdles in front of us and that call hurts me so much and lets hope I am wrong.

Last edited:

Navyblues09

Club Legend
Sep 3, 2009
Templestowe
AFL Club
Carlton
Why did you make the comment that the top 2 divisions decided they needed a extra week for training.Please look at the big picture with these 2 grades,loss of funds for home clubs hosting without crowds,home clubs trying to police covid rules,loss of income for home clubs that have organised social functions and of cause clubs that no hope of finals action and to play on they are further into debt.I repeat No.1 is the survival of our clubs As for promotion and relegation we scrap but lets do a East Burwood 2021 and Coldstream promoted to D3 in 2022 Cliff.My call is call off the season now,to many unknown hurdles in front of us and that call hurts me so much and lets hope I am wrong.

Because that was the very excuse used here just last week!

CliffMcTainshaw

Premiership Player
Apr 11, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Cill Chainnigh
Interesting club East Hawthorn, definitely a shocking reputation in some quarters probably based largely on that game. Weren’t they booted from the league for it? They ended up in the Southern league or whatever it’s forerunner was and then folded in the mid 80s. Apparently they still have regular catch-ups.
If I recall correctly they came to the EDFL because they were booted from the Metro League. If you were playing at their ground, sometime during the last quarter of the 2's game you would see hundreds of already drunk and aggressive fans streaming across the park after leaving the Whitehorse Inn Hotel where they had been since 10am.

Last edited:

CliffMcTainshaw

Premiership Player
Apr 11, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Cill Chainnigh
Which means we have an end date - September 18 (doubt they play AFL GF weekend).

Max 6 more weeks.

Can see us getting three weeks in at best
If that's the case they should prioritise the completion of the first round of matches so that at least all the teams have played against each other at least once.

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
If that's the case they should prioritise the completion of the first round of matches so that at least all the teams have played against each other at least once.

Id be setting up a final round and telling clubs we have that then two weeks of finals.

At absolute best we’re out of lockdown next Thursday, and we know the top two divs at least won’t play with no training. So that gets us down to five weeks… and it’d be a miracle if we were out next Thursday.

We’re then trying to get three weeks in so really wanting no more lockdowns.

I’d still play it out if possible but it’s on super shaky ground.

magpies2013

All Australian
Jan 1, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Any truth to the rumour that Beaconsfield have submitted a request to join Eastern. I know that Narre Warren and Cranbourne have applied to join the Mpnfl. Narre will certainly get knocked back as it requires a 75% vote and most Mpnfl clubs are strongly against clubs joining not in there geographic area

CliffMcTainshaw

Premiership Player
Apr 11, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Cill Chainnigh
Any truth to the rumour that Beaconsfield have submitted a request to join Eastern. I know that Narre Warren and Cranbourne have applied to join the Mpnfl. Narre will certainly get knocked back as it requires a 75% vote and most Mpnfl clubs are strongly against clubs joining not in there geographic area
image_2021-08-08_082545.png

The jouneyman

Team Captain
Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Stupid decision on narre warrens behalf,should be joining Berwick

Back