NOW to sometime later in the year (maybe) - Talk about anything

Remove this Banner Ad

You would think common sense would prevail and the EFNL would look at a 9 round season and players that are paid get a 50% pay cut but only early days before we go down that path.Difficult times ahead but if we all work in together we will get around this virus and play footy again ASAP.
9 games is better than none

So why no netball Cliff?
Because the entire competition has been suspended. That must mean footy and netball.

"With the spread of COVID-19 increasing across Victoria the Eastern Football Netball League has made the decision to IMMEDIATELY SUSPEND all training, practice matches and events across the entire Competition until further notice".

Because the entire competition has been suspended. That must mean footy and netball.

With the spread of COVID-19 increasing across Victoria the Eastern Football Netball League has made the decision to IMMEDIATELY SUSPEND all training, practice matches and events across the entire Competition until further notice.
Netball not sure of that one.Perhaps winter cricket Cliff might be a option to look at or will they scrap that one to.I know a couple of guys that play winter cricket locally and they reckon they play most weeks despite the winter weather.

How is it non contact. Every game I have seen players bump into each other. Even if they didn't bump into each other how do you keep 1.5 metres distance between players (including your teammates)
You can't shake hands, but how do you avoid touching the ball that someones sweaty hand has just touched?

You would think common sense would prevail and the EFNL would look at a 9 round season and players that are paid get a 50% pay cut but only early days before we go down that path.

Given players get paid per game & you are proposing a reduced year players would already take a hit. Are you suggesting they take further % reduction?

It did make me wonder is there many regular senior players in the competition that are not paid? From my perspective I honestly can’t remember how long ago this was the case.

Given players get paid per game & you are proposing a reduced year players would already take a hit. Are you suggesting they take further % reduction?

It did make me wonder is there many regular senior players in the competition that are not paid? From my perspective I honestly can’t remember how long ago this was the case.

Good question,are players that are offered x amount to play miss out on payments if they do not play a game.If the season is reduced it is the clubs that will struggle financially and even the EFNL who have a number of fulll time employees there.Surely the EFNL and local council must consider cuts to fees to clubs if season reduced but they will miss out financially to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Players were paid in the 60's. Only $20 but that was close to a week's pay for me back then.
I should have added that was only if we won.

Last edited:
Players were paid in the 60's. Only $20 but that was close to a week's pay for me back then.

When treasurer of Lilydale F C in the early 70's we payed 3 players approx,I think1 guy got $50 a game and 2 others $30 a game.All outsiders and as soon as a game finished they would come at me for their money and piss off.The local guys payed to play and hang around the club to late at night,the good old days.

No play no pay G.

The whole affiliate fees is a land mine. Difficult to decide what is fair for clubs in a reduced season. From memory the EFL did have substantial cash reserves, which will assist to cover employees.

Any potential draftees within the EFL for a AFL supplementary draft? Impossible to replace a key recruit at this stage, think Sam Rowe 2019.

NFNL, EDFL, EFNL, SFNL, VAFA and WRFL all done until May 2nd.
Tuesday, April 14 to review and/or confirm this commencement date.

Box Hill Hawks going it alone in VFL for 2020. Could be a disaster for some EFL clubs that have numerous players on the Box Hill VFL 35 player list. I gather listed Hawthorn players are being kept in order to appease the potential 3 games in 2 week scenario.

Unsure what other AFL/VFL clubs are doing at this stage. Unfortunately local football will bare the brunt of numerous changes and the EFL season could become compromised beyond anything we have ever seen before.

This is all before any further AFL draft for top-ups which in turn will require more VFL top-ups, etc. which will further affect the EFL (let alone the potential that some players could be drafted directly from the EFL).

I do wonder whether this could force the EFL to make some extraordinary decisions in regards to the 2020 season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back