NOW to sometime later in the year (maybe) - Talk about anything

CliffMcTainshaw

Premiership Player
Apr 11, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Cill Chainnigh
Not much of a change in reality. Still a maximum of 20 players on the oval. Just in one group instead of 2.

Bobby Beecroft

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 25, 2003
Junction Oval Goalsquare
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Brisbane Lions THFC
Thankfully they have two grounds!

Now with improved lights on both. Grounds should be immaculate given the lack of recent traffic.

Not much of a change in reality. Still a maximum of 20 players on the oval. Just in one group instead of 2.

It is interesting the FAQ on on the EFL FB page yesterday was still referring to the Groups of 10. Clubs do need to be careful to follow their league protocols rather than that released by AFL Victoria.

I know clubs are in constant (daily) contact with League officials.

CliffMcTainshaw

Premiership Player
Apr 11, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Cill Chainnigh
Does it mean that you can have 20 players on each ground and another 20 doing laps around the outside of the 2 grounds?
That could work out OK if you can swap the groups over during the night, however, I have no idea whether that is allowed.
If it is, you could have different training drills on each oval and rotate the groups. Take the balls with you when the group's rotate.

Bobby Beecroft

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 25, 2003
Junction Oval Goalsquare
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Brisbane Lions THFC
That’s how I read it. Not sure what they used tonight. It appears to be a clear advantage if you have a couple of adjacent grounds with good parking as it currently stands.

The liability if someone at the club tests positive was a little inconclusive (what else can it be?). Let’s hope it’s never an issue.

Oct 5, 2004
Moving Around
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Avoca FNC, Ouyen Kangas FNC
Heard the same Richard. I think we are done for 2020. Majority of clubs have expressed their sentiments to not play this year due to the impact on clubs in so many ways. The EFNL are quite concerned that any recommencement could see some clubs potentially go to the wall, especially in the lower divisions.

Information on training arrangements https://aflvic.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/Return-to-Small-Group-Training-Protocols-290520.pdf

Different to NSW where the groups of 10 rule is being strictly enforced.

blueblood005

Senior List
Apr 16, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Does it mean that you can have 20 players on each ground and another 20 doing laps around the outside of the 2 grounds?
That could work out OK if you can swap the groups over during the night, however, I have no idea whether that is allowed.
If it is, you could have different training drills on each oval and rotate the groups. Take the balls with you when the group's rotate.

Isnt it two groups of 20 per ground now?

CliffMcTainshaw

Premiership Player
Apr 11, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Cill Chainnigh
Isnt it two groups of 20 per ground now?
No more than one (1) group of 20 will be permitted per oval (20 people max. training at one time, not including a coach or the minimum number of support staff who are reasonably required to manage the activity).

I've been hearing much the same regarding cessation very soon. I feel for the players who have been asked to go back to training this week only to have the rug pulled from under them later this week.

localfootyman_7

Senior List
May 12, 2020
AFL Club
Melbourne
Hearing tonight the drums are beating lads . EFL to pull the pin tomorrow or Wednesday. Hope I’m wrong .......
That will be interesting. I read an article about the southern league and they seem keen to play. What I too
No more than one (1) group of 20 will be permitted per oval (20 people max. training at one time, not including a coach or the minimum number of support staff who are reasonably required to manage the activity).

I've been hearing much the same regarding cessation very soon. I feel for the players who have been asked to go back to training this week only to have the rug pulled from under them later this week.
Do we think all metro leagues will go in the same direction? Or some will play and some will pull the pin? After reading an article on the SFNL I think they will play, there CEOs only concern seemed to be about the league getting paid and getting there workers off job keeper.

CliffMcTainshaw

Premiership Player
Apr 11, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Cill Chainnigh
At this stage the SFL, the VAFA and perhaps the EDFL (without any paid players) seem to be keen.

Voice of the G

Premiership Player
Jan 18, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
AFL VIC has lobbied the government to provide a clear road map by the end of this week.

How can the State Government give a clear road map on what lays ahead when none of us know while this b virus is still around other then say there will most likely be some type of restrictions around until at least October if not longer.Scott Morrison said at the end of March that restrictions could be in place till October.None of us want to go through what we have gone through in the last 2 months in isolation and we relax the restrictions to quickly we could.A tough decision for our leagues and clubs and of cause the government.Personally I think No.1 for EFNL is we start with the 45 clubs we have now in 2021 and if we play not sure all those 45 will be playing in 2021 especially the ones in debt.I respect every ones opinion of whether we should play or not but I am sure we all in agreement,we are missing our local football on and off the field and especially having a beer and chat with our mates and for me I have not seen any of them since the end of the cricket season.

Last edited:

blueblood005

Senior List
Apr 16, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
SFL HQ are as keen as mustard. Not to be confused with the SFL Clubs ;)

Just have this feeling that the government will give all clubs a start date to begin but nobody allowed in social rooms after game or club functions which will mean some clubs will pull pin.

Voice of the G

Premiership Player
Jan 18, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Just have this feeling that the government will give all clubs a start date to begin but nobody allowed in social rooms after game or club functions which will mean some clubs will pull pin.

And perhaps no change rooms either but a lot can happen in the next few weeks and lets hope for the better..A tough decision tonight it seems for our clubs and the league.

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
That will be interesting. I read an article about the southern league and they seem keen to play. What I too

Do we think all metro leagues will go in the same direction? Or some will play and some will pull the pin? After reading an article on the SFNL I think they will play, there CEOs only concern seemed to be about the league getting paid and getting there workers off job keeper.

All the comments were that the six metros leagues will take the same approach as they didn't want a player exodus from leagues or clubs that don't play.

Having said that not sure why it wouldn't be a statewide decision, the lines between "metro leagues" and "country leagues" was erased long ago, Outer East and MPNFL etc are hardly country.

There's constant tension between the SFL and MPNFL over poaching of clubs etc so I would assume that goes someway to explaining the SFL hierarchy being keen.

CliffMcTainshaw

Premiership Player
Apr 11, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Cill Chainnigh

Voice of the G

Premiership Player
Jan 18, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
It looks like the submission from AFL Victoria to the Government to provide a clear set of instructions for resumption has fallen on deaf ears.
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...s-impatient-afl-victoria-20200602-p54yu5.html

And sadly I would say the correct call by the government.and lets hope all leagues agree on whether to play or not as a real issue if some play and others do not.If we all agree to play lets go,if we all agree to not play OK but if we go some play and some not creates more serious issues.

CliffMcTainshaw

Premiership Player
Apr 11, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Cill Chainnigh
And sadly I would say the correct call by the government.and lets hope all leagues agree on whether to play or not as a real issue if some play and others do not.If we all agree to play lets go,if we all agree to not play OK but if we go some play and some not creates more serious issues.
Rick Bell of AFL Victoria has put it succinctly, "The uncertainty of not knowing if or when a competition can commence in Victoria is causing significant fatigue for our club volunteer network. In most instances they are now at a stage where they would prefer the certainty of cancelling a season, than continuing to manage the ongoing uncertainty and not being able to respond with any clarity to their club players and members".

Voice of the G

Premiership Player
Jan 18, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Rick Bell of AFL Victoria has put it succinctly, "The uncertainty of not knowing if or when a competition can commence in Victoria is causing significant fatigue for our club volunteer network. In most instances they are now at a stage where they would prefer the certainty of cancelling a season, than continuing to manage the ongoing uncertainty and not being able to respond with any clarity to their club players and members".

Being a volunteer at my club and spending 20 plus hours a week helping our club right now I might qualify to be in the club.Not sure about you Cliff but your club needs you right now if you volunteer perhaps.

Last edited:

CliffMcTainshaw

Premiership Player
Apr 11, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Cill Chainnigh
Being a volunteer at my club and spending 20 plus hours a week helping our club right now I might qualify to be in the club.Not sure about you Cliff but your club needs you right now if you play.
Play!!!!!!!!!!!
Hahahahaha.
40 years past my best and besides I have a bad knee and will not be able to play at all this year.
I hope you aren't thinking of playing.

Back