NOW to sometime later in the year (maybe) - Talk about anything

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t think any clubs that have got back to training the last couple of weeks would want them to turn around and say no season.

People and clubs are putting in the effort because they want to play!

Amen. They sure do. I think everyone is praying on crowds.

How can the State Government give a clear road map on what lays ahead when none of us know while this b virus is still around other then say there will most likely be some type of restrictions around until at least October if not longer.Scott Morrison said at the end of March that restrictions could be in place till October.None of us want to go through what we have gone through in the last 2 months in isolation and we relax the restrictions to quickly we could.A tough decision for our leagues and clubs and of cause the government.Personally I think No.1 for EFNL is we start with the 45 clubs we have now in 2021 and if we play not sure all those 45 will be playing in 2021 especially the ones in debt.I respect every ones opinion of whether we should play or not but I am sure we all in agreement,we are missing our local football on and off the field and especially having a beer and chat with our mates and for me I have not seen any of them since the end of
Amen. They sure do. I think everyone is praying on crowds.
crowds look a long way off going by the latest article in the age

I don’t think any clubs that have got back to training the last couple of weeks would want them to turn around and say no season.

People and clubs are putting in the effort because they want to play!

The recent vote by clubs with the League with the current conditions says otherwise.

Clubs are training as they do need to be prepared in the event that the season does commence and it’s an opportunity to engage players beyond social media.

crowds look a long way off going by the latest article in the age
Word filtering out of the AFL Vic / League CEOs meeting last night backs up the story in the Age.

Message given to League CEOs was AFL Vic can't give a date on when footy is starting as the govt can't give medical clearance to do so.
Most venues aren't gated so clubs cannot control numbers
If crowds are allowed, all patrons upon entering a venue will need to have their names registered on a database, much like training at the moment.

To have ANOTHER volunteer archive 500 people's names at the gate and be met with refusal from some, then receive abuse from those refused entry, just won't be practical

Pack it up boys - see you next year

Word filtering out of the AFL Vic / League CEOs meeting last night backs up the story in the Age.

Message given to League CEOs was AFL Vic can't give a date on when footy is starting as the govt can't give medical clearance to do so.
Most venues aren't gated so clubs cannot control numbers
If crowds are allowed, all patrons upon entering a venue will need to have their names registered on a database, much like training at the moment.

To have ANOTHER volunteer archive 500 people's names at the gate and be met with refusal from some, then receive abuse from those refused entry, just won't be practical

Pack it up boys - see you next year
Haha some grounds have multiple entrances good luck trying to sort that out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great and Sad Decision. I am not surprised as there was no sign of any income for most clubs and personally I would rather a year of no football than a few years of less clubs as many have stated openly that hey would have become insolvent. Even the big Money Spinners in Premier Division put their hands up. Least I still have golf.

Last edited:
Piss weak, oh it’s too hard so we’ll cancel it and get paid to do nothing.

Newsflash, coronavirus will still be an issue next year so taking names may become the new norm so if that’s too hard, then let’s cancel local footy altogether!

The big guns have made the decision now watch every other league follow . Sad but Im hearing 80% of clubs did not want to go ahead so irrelevant of the way the govt , league or AFL vic have handled the situation . Had to be cancelled.

I’m sure everyone will have an opinion but well done to the team at the league on working with clubs and making the decision. The communication, consultation and opportunities for feedback/ discussion with clubs has been excellent. Not an easy decision to make but the correct one - I know many clubs will be pleased in now having some certainty moving forward.

There are some in the footy community including players who only see each other during footy season. They will have another 8 months to do other things to occupy their time on a weekend , not all will come back.

whos getting paid?

Everyone at EFL house...

There are some in the footy community including players who only see each other during footy season. They will have another 8 months to do other things to occupy their time on a weekend , not all will come back.

Plenty won’t be back, why would you commit to a preseason when there is every chance this happens again next year? There will be quite a few who will go to other leagues, they won’t return if they have success there.

Everyone at EFL house...

Give us a spell, what a stupid comment. Local footy leagues run an enormous operation - hundreds of games of footy every week - with a bloody tiny team. And I’m sure there’d be some of them affected, leave without pay etc, by this.

And if you read anywhere on here or social media, it’s hardly their call - it’s clear the majority of clubs didn’t want to play.

You really think they’ve played this so they can do nothing and still get paid. You idiot.

Even though I am sad that I won't see many of my former team mates and friends at the club this year, I still feel it was the right decision. The clubs know better than anyone else what the problems were that they had to overcome to play this year and the potential ramifications of any decision to play.

The Clubs and the League will have a much better understanding of the problems they will face to be able to resume next year. They also have about 9 months to prepare for next year. Let's face it all this really happened just as the season was about to commence and every decision was made in a hurry and under a lot of pressure. Many things may have been done differently or perhaps better with more time and less pressure on the people making those decisions.

For instance the decision by AFL Vic to open transfers until June 30th. If other comps go ahead it might be one that will either cause huge headaches for Leagues and clubs or attempts by other Leagues to prevent mass transfers or even AFL Vic doing a backflip on transfers.

Last edited:
Hey Cliff, I saw this and thought of you, Some bloke called John wrote this in H/S "Shame about the season but the right decision. By my reckoning East Burwood gets relegated again. Great result!! Sure they will have a sook again and ask for more special treatment from the EFNL" Another said, Ï suppose East Burwood will be promoted to Div 2 now.

Last edited:
Explain your reckoning because I can't see that happening.
But, whatever does happen, we will still be there next season, with money in the bank, new lights and night games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back