NOW to sometime later in the year (maybe) - Talk about anything

Remove this Banner Ad

What is stopping them from having juniors now. How will it be more appealing, travelling to maybe Lilydale or South Belgrave rather than against teams already in the SFNL. I don't believe that they weren't allowed to enter junior teams in the SFNL, they just didn't have any to enter. The junior club down the road from them, the Oakleigh Dragons Junior Football Club is aligned with Oakleigh Amateur Football Club.
I can't see how moving to the EFNL is suddenly going to produce junior teams for them. It should be a requirement that any team that enters the EFNL should have some junior teams.

What is stopping them from having juniors now. How will it be more appealing, travelling to maybe Lilydale or South Belgrave rather than against teams already in the SFNL. I don't believe that they weren't allowed to enter junior teams in the SFNL, they just didn't have any to enter. The junior club down the road from them, the Oakleigh Dragons Junior Football Club is aligned with Oakleigh Amateur Football Club.
I can't see how moving to the EFNL is suddenly going to produce junior teams for them. It should be a requirement that any team that enters the EFNL should have some junior teams.
There is no SFNL juniors below under 19s. Not sure if true but Ive heard there was a reluctance by the SMJFL to let them start another junior club in competition to the Oakleigh junior club already in the SMJFL. As you mentioned, the existing junior club is aligned elsewhere. Perhaps crossing to the EFNL allows them to build their own junior feeder. If that’s the case then the change of leagues would make sense. There’s no future without juniors

Last edited:

It’s not a great outcome for the other EFNL clubs in Monash I wouldn’t think (Mulgrave, Wav Blues, Glen Waverley? Is that all?). Mulgrave are further east so probably in a bit better position.

The demographics there are very tough - ageing population with skyrocketed property prices that mean young families don’t live in the area, and a very large and increasing population of Asian descent, among whom footy participation is extremely limited to nonexistent.

It’s certainly not a growth area - the opposite - yet that’s two new EFNL clubs in the area (OD and Glen Waverley) in the last what… 15 years? Won’t be easy.

Mount Waverley in the SFNL already folded a few years back.

It’s really quite incredible that these things get waved through when there are existing clubs. I guess if it was in the middle of EFNL heartland then it’d face stiffer pushback.

Hopefully the EFNL have some plan for these existing clubs rather than just pulling themselves at the idea of world domination and trying to add new clubs at every opportunity.

I was looking forward to cricket starting up again, but it looks like no matter what time of the year you start the season, it still rains!!!!!

Last edited:
For all those men and women who are looking forward to playing next year, training starts at East Burwood Reserve, 6pm, Nov 22nd on the North Oval.

Unless the Weather Bureau is completely wrong (when was the last time that happened?).
Cricket might get underway on Saturday.
And for good measure, The Front Bar starts again next Thursday for their Cricket edition. Last time was so funny. You should not miss
this one.

Div 2. Good to see everyone fixtured to play twice. Might mean that we will at least play each other once.
Didn't appear that EB had any night games. I'm disappointed if that is the case.
Templestowe get to be the first to travel across and play Oakleigh Districts.

I will be very interested to see how Montrose goes next year under Gary Ayres.
I'm going to predict that Surrey Park will win their first ever senior flag next year.

Last edited:
Div 2. Good to see everyone fixtured to play twice. Might mean that we will at least play each other once.
Didn't appear that EB had any night games. I'm disappointed if that is the case.
Templestowe get to be the first to travel across and play Oakleigh Districts.

I will be very interested to see how Montrose goes next year under Gary Ayres.
I'm going to predict that Surrey Park will win their first ever senior flag next year.

If there’s lights in then I think you’ll see some Sat night footy at least. There’s 4 or 5 games on Saturday at a lot of grounds these days and the old 10am / 12pm / 2:10pm thing will become less and less I think. Clubs will have the flexibility to play at different times with the agreement of opponents.

If there’s lights in then I think you’ll see some Sat night footy at least. There’s 4 or 5 games on Saturday at a lot of grounds these days and the old 10am / 12pm / 2:10pm thing will become less and less I think. Clubs will have the flexibility to play at different times with the agreement of opponents.
Don't know what it is like for other council areas, but in Whitehorse clubs are limited to 2 night games a season. This year we started with a Friday night game. Absolutely freezing but a very good crowd.

In Perth, many clubs have Womens, Colts, Reserves then Seniors on the one ground on a Saturday. The new standard is 9:30 / 11:00 / 1:00 / 2:45 unless the women's game is moved to a later match. You might get a 2pm senior game 5-6 times a season now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In Perth, many clubs have Womens, Colts, Reserves then Seniors on the one ground on a Saturday. The new standard is 9:30 / 11:00 / 1:00 / 2:45 unless the women's game is moved to a later match. You might get a 2pm senior game 5-6 times a season now.

yep happening more and more. I don’t think it’ll be too long before most clubs have 6 senior sides (mens and women’s seniors, reserved and 19s) which means 6 games a week. Maybe interchanging between home and away. Though clubs with two ovals could host both which would be great

South Belgrave doing well to operate under a… what is it, $70k salary cap?

Lots of selfless blokes playing for well unders… 🙄
Not sure of what you are getting at Bunk. It's the same salary cap for all Div 2 clubs. Every other club will be in the same situation. You would think that Ringwood, finishing on top and then remaining in the same division would feel it more. Do you have a rumour you want to expand upon?

Not sure of what you are getting at Bunk. It's the same salary cap for all Div 2 clubs. Every other club will be in the same situation. You would think that Ringwood, finishing on top and then remaining in the same division would feel it more. Do you have a rumour you want to expand upon?

Maybe he’s trying to indicate that South Belgrave cannot be under the $70K salary cap with their recruiting of Tim Smith this season & Taylor Garner for next season - both coming to play the season following being AFL listed plus the rest of the squad.

Could possibly think in the open market & at Premier or Divi 1 clubs they would be getting a fair whack of coin that would have a higher level of expectations than say a Divi 2 club has - hence why they pay more. And probably they could get great coin elsewhere.

Possibly cannot fathom that players may have chosen to play at South Belgrave where they have family connections, probably have heard good things about the club, playing group, coaches & laid back community culture from them, which sounds appealing, rather than potentially chase big coin elsewhere.

Some blokes want to & jump at the opportunity to play with their brothers when they have never have previously due to age differences etc

But potentially he’s saying they must be paying these guys big coin somehow outside the ‘cap’ & wants an enquiry to be held.

But I’ll let him respond for himself rather than speculating what might be happening or what he’s thinking about as I have no actual facts about what he really thinks

Last edited:
Maybe he’s trying to indicate that South Belgrave cannot be under the $70K salary cap with their recruiting of Tim Smith this season & Taylor Garner for next season - both coming to play the season following being AFL listed plus the rest of the squad.

Could possibly think in the open market & at Premier or Divi 1 clubs they would be getting a fair whack of coin that would have a higher level of expectations than say a Divi 2 club has - hence why they pay more. And probably they could get great coin elsewhere.

Possibly cannot fathom that players may have chosen to play at South Belgrave where they have family connections, probably have heard good things about the club, playing group, coaches & laid back community culture from them, which sounds appealing, rather than potentially chase big coin elsewhere.

Some blokes want to & jump at the opportunity to play with their brothers when they have never have previously due to age differences etc

But potentially he’s saying they must be paying these guys big coin somehow outside the ‘cap’ & wants an enquiry to be held.

But I’ll let him respond for himself rather than speculating what might be happening or what he’s thinking about as I have no actual facts about what he really thinks
Well and truly over the salary cap,but there not on there own,I rekon to put that team on the park at a minimum,its 5 k easily and good luck to them, hope they win another flag

Well and truly over the salary cap,but there not on there own,I rekon to put that team on the park at a minimum,its 5 k easily and good luck to them, hope they win another flag
Disappointing if true, considering that plenty of clubs will be doing the right thing.

Quite a protest you’ve thrown down there.

I really should add that I’m sure SB’s books are totally clean and I’m sure they don’t do anything that plenty of other clubs do (and all would if they could). On reflection, it’s probably relatively unfair of me to single them out.

The reality is that salary caps simply aren’t workable at local level.

Sign-on payments are the most interesting area I think.

It's harder to cheat points than salary caps.
It would be interesting to see what an integrity officer at a grassroots competition actually does in a typical week.

The problem with the points system as a levelling mechanism is it’s so high that it has no impact.

No clubs even come close to hitting the limit.

Overall I’d say things have gotten better, perhaps it’s just how it goes.

I mean, what do you do when clubs are offering players $10k or $20k sign-on payments, coming directly from major sponsor/s so never hitting the club books? There’s probably not much you can do about it.

That happens quite a bit, have seen it. That’s not in reference to any one club or even the EFNL, it’s across the board in local / country footy.

I know of one ex-AFL recruit who pocketed a $15k appearance fee for showing up to a major sponsor’s Christmas party and having a couple of beers (not an EFNL club).

The problem with the points system as a levelling mechanism is it’s so high that it has no impact.

No clubs even come close to hitting the limit.

Overall I’d say things have gotten better, perhaps it’s just how it goes.

I mean, what do you do when clubs are offering players $10k or $20k sign-on payments, coming directly from major sponsor/s so never hitting the club books? There’s probably not much you can do about it.

That happens quite a bit, have seen it. That’s not in reference to any one club or even the EFNL, it’s across the board in local / country footy.

I know of one ex-AFL recruit who pocketed a $15k appearance fee for showing up to a major sponsor’s Christmas party and having a couple of beers (not an EFNL club).
Did that ex AFL player Swan in like a Dane near a place behind a park named after a Peanut Farmer

My Best Wishes to Everyone For Christmas and the New Year.
Here's hoping that things pretty much return to normal for 2022.

Cheers!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back