One to watch Oak district
Relegated fair park or silvan

Div 4

Premier surrey
Runner up forest hill
One to watch kilsyth
Spoon nunawading

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Any results from yesterday praccy matches here’s a couple E Ringwood by 3 goals over Mansfield, Beaconsfield by a goal over Noble. A great late pick up for Beacy with ex St Kilda player Brandon White returning to the club.

Bumped into a dejected Upper Gully man this arvo. They played Fairpark yesterday and lost the seniors by 1 point.

But it gets worse, because Fairpark were apparently close to pulling the pin due to lack of numbers only having 30 senior players available for the 1s and 2s due to a wedding. Both clubs ended up combining their under 19s and reserves team for the second game but Upper had a heap more numbers. This comes off Upper losing by 15 goals to FTG the week before.

I know they will have some players to come back, like all clubs do this time of year. But if you aint beating an undermanned Fairpark, and you are a division above them, you are in a bit of trouble. Lock them in for relegation.

Any results from yesterday praccy matches here’s a couple E Ringwood by 3 goals over Mansfield, Beaconsfield by a goal over Noble. A great late pick up for Beacy with ex St Kilda player Brandon White returning to the club.

Coldy lost by 10 goals to Wandin
Boronia defeated Seaford in both 1s and 2s by 5 goals
FTG defeated Heathmont by 3 goals in the 1s

Rowville got over the top of Wanny Sth by around 4 goals, kicking with the wind in the final term. Wanny Sth were impressive for 3 quarters & were in front at 3/4 time by a couple of kicks. Expect the Devils to be improved in 2023.
No doubt Rowville would have had a few on VFL duties like numerous Premier clubs this time of year.

Rowville got over the top of Wanny Sth by around 4 goals, kicking with the wind in the final term. Wanny Sth were impressive for 3 quarters & were in front at 3/4 time by a couple of kicks. Expect the Devils to be improved in 2023.
No doubt Rowville would have had a few on VFL duties like numerous Premier clubs this time of year.

How many VFL players does your typical Premier club have? Does it vary or are they pretty much all similar?

I heard a story recently of a club having 12-15 senior players effectively not training with them all year because they were on VFL training duties. Maybe I’m out of touch but how the hell do you plan and execute on matchday without half of your team at training?

It tends to vary Bunk. Doncaster will have 4-5 from my knowledge traditionally the likes of Rowville, Blackburn, Vermont will have more. The Under age rules of VFL lists have possibly increased the numbers for some.
There are different levels of VFL players these days - eg main list, development lists & supplementary list. VFL training requirements can vary for some dependent on list level.
Your point stands at the local level planning does become more difficult, even to the extent of late notice availability.

D2 Under 19s fixture is out, at least partly by the looks. So it seems all Premier and D1 clubs have U19s, with South Croydon playing in D2.

In D2 it looks like only Upper Gully, Heathmont, Mulgrave, Wav Blues and The Basin have U19s.

Some have been saying things look very bleak for Upper, that is great they will have U19s though and be putting three sides out every week. When so many clubs don't have U19s and you're hearing some horror stories from the nearby Outer East about many clubs struggling to have reserves numbers this year... even if Upper do struggle this year, hopefully the faithful are appreciative of the fact their club is healthy in terms of numbers. They've done it tougher than most with the way the council have ****ed them over.

It tends to vary Bunk. Doncaster will have 4-5 from my knowledge traditionally the likes of Rowville, Blackburn, Vermont will have more. The Under age rules of VFL lists have possibly increased the numbers for some.
There are different levels of VFL players these days - eg main list, development lists & supplementary list. VFL training requirements can vary for some dependent on list level.
Your point stands at the local level planning does become more difficult, even to the extent of late notice availability.

Bobby am I reading the transfers correctly..Nick Wood from the MPFNL? Is that the Nick Wood from Sorrento / ex Stkevs skipper? Or different Wood?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was speaking to a mate down Frankston way who watched a bit of the Boronia Seaford game. Said Boronia looked big and strong and ran the ball really well off the backline.game was called off early in the last after a injury to a Seaford player. He also noted that Seaford had there’s 1s in the cricket gf on Saturday so Seaford had there supporters down watching the cricket and a lot of there players including some of there best playing or watching the cricket.
Every team playing practice matches is missing players of course. Boronia hopes to get a few back next week for our second practice match against Old Carey.

Cliff you’ll no doubt be pleased to hear next week there’s a game scheduled on the old ground at east burwood - Vermont playing Blackburn! That will not go down well with EB I imagine…

EB played there yesterday. I hope Vermont and Blackburn are bringing their own changerooms.
Where is the old ground at EB and next week why does Vermont v Blackburn practice match not being played at Morton Park (even bottom oval) or at Vermont.As for the old ground at if you mean the north oval why can the change rooms on the main oval not be used?

It’s a junior game. Vermont juniors using it as an overflow ground it seems.

World of pain for the burners this year - main ground out so it’s the lower, eley and Whitehorse reserve for us this year!

It’s a junior game. Vermont juniors using it as an overflow ground it seems.

World of pain for the burners this year - main ground out so it’s the lower, eley and Whitehorse reserve for us this year!

Really surprised that the main oval at Morton is not being used for juniors this season.

Last edited:
Really surprised that the main oval at Morton is not being used for juniors this season.

It’s not allowed to because of the resurfacing. I believe 8 senior games only allowed. Think even the 19s and 2s will play home games on the bottom deck.

Some in the know reckon it should be left untouched for 12 months

It’s not allowed to because of the resurfacing. I believe 8 senior games only allowed. Think even the 19s and 2s will play home games on the bottom deck.

Some in the know reckon it should be left untouched for 12 months

You are correct with left untouched for 12 months, Walker Park was done about 4 or 5 years ago, I also was told that best to keep of the new surface for at least 12 months.Unfortunately as a club we are struggling with only 1 ground and one of the biggest junior clubs in the EDNFL had to get on straight away after resurfacing then.

Last edited:
You are correct with left untouched for 12 months, Walker Park was done about 4 or 5 years ago, I also was told that best to keep of the new surface for at least 12 months.Unfortunately as a club we are struggling with only 1 ground and one of the biggest junior clubs in the EDNFL had to get on straight away after resurfacing then.

Gmac think mitcham juniors get a bit of a go at Koonung? (Nunawading‘s ground plus the vacant bottom oval - albeit only one set of rooms)

Sorry, not EFNL related but wowee... Wangaratta stripped of the Ovens & Murray flag for being over the salary cap!

That's massive and the first time it's happened across local footy.
The interesting thing is that although the VFL found them guilty, fined them and penalised them from gaining any points from the first 4 games this season, they were able to keep their flag. After uproar from the other clubs the O&M Board stripped them of their 2022 flag. Makes you wonder how the over payment was discovered, someone blabbed, their treasurer wasn't sufficiently savvy at hiding money, the VFL really looked into things or was it the tax department that discovered discrepancies (I have no idea if it is possible for the VFL to access tax information, maybe not).

The interesting thing is that although the VFL found them guilty, fined them and penalised them from gaining any points from the first 4 games this season, they were able to keep their flag. After uproar from the other clubs the O&M Board stripped them of their 2022 flag. Makes you wonder how the over payment was discovered, someone blabbed, their treasurer wasn't sufficiently savvy at hiding money, the VFL really looked into things or was it the tax department that discovered discrepancies (I have no idea if it is possible for the VFL to access tax information, maybe not).

It's really not clear. Some are saying it was as simple error and they self reported.

Others are saying they self-reported because they were being investigated, knew they were over, so tried to get in first and "self report".

Someone else up there is saying a player was accidently paid twice for the whole season, it wasn't discovered until after the year and the investigation, the player immediately paid it all back. That version doesn't quite add up, if it was immediately paid back then I don't see them stripping a flag.

Seems nobody has actually reported the true story.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back