NRL NRL 2020 Season - Round 1

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Canberra winning. Not much of a crowd however 6pm weekday wouldn't have helped in normal circumstances.

Round 2 will be played behind closed doors.

Picture Round 2 being postponed indefinitely. Players will be infected by this time Thursday.

Captains challenge. Like it or hate it?

Not a fan but don't hate it either. I think the ref's have had their decisions upheld in the 5 challenges I'm aware of.

Canberra winning. Not much of a crowd however 6pm weekday wouldn't have helped in normal circumstances.

Picture Round 2 being postponed indefinitely. Players will be infected by this time Thursday.

Yep- imagine if it was Luke Tedesco/Latrell Mitchell/Blake Ferguson/Roger Tuivasa-Sheck - there'd be uproar that the players could be put in danger. As each day unfolds, it changes so rapidly.

AmericanAFL

Cancelled
Shiny Penny
Oct 8, 2018
Near Philly
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
Brand new to the sport, so apologies if this is a dumb question, as I only vaguely understand the game.

In the Canberra/Gold Coast game, Canberra led by 12 on a succession of “possessions” (unsure what the proper terminology is) down close to the try line with less than 20 minutes left in the match. I’m wondering why a drop goal (not sure it’s called that- I’m referring to the one point scoring kick) wouldn’t be an obvious choice in a situation like that. Increasing their lead to 13 would seem to be a pretty big advantage, and almost as good as making it 16 or 18, with the limited time left in the game.

Thoughts?

Brand new to the sport, so apologies if this is a dumb question, as I only vaguely understand the game.

In the Canberra/Gold Coast game, Canberra led by 12 on a succession of “possessions” (unsure what the proper terminology is) down close to the try line with less than 20 minutes left in the match. I’m wondering why a drop goal (not sure it’s called that- I’m referring to the one point scoring kick) wouldn’t be an obvious choice in a situation like that. Increasing their lead to 13 would seem to be a pretty big advantage, and almost as good as making it 16 or 18, with the limited time left in the game.

Thoughts?
That sort of tactic doesn’t usually occur until the last 10 minutes of the game.
the fact that a missed FG attempt would mean a 20m restart and a 7 tackle set sort of stop teams from doing that

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets

Thoughts?
They don't kick field goals as much as they strategically could/should, in my opinion. As AmericanAFL said, it's usually a late game play, or a late 1st half play.

The theory I think is they can either score a try, win a penalty, or ideally put a kick in and force a repeat set in some way, which when holding a lead are seen as better outcomes because you get another chance at all those things.

I think there is huge value in going up by 3 scores, but that has more value the later the game gets. Any team with possession in the first half final minute should be aiming for 1 imo, unless it's a goal line set.
With 20 minutes left, that's a lot of time, but it depends on conditions, teams, etc. So many variables.

AmericanAFL

Cancelled
Shiny Penny
Oct 8, 2018
Near Philly
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
They don't kick field goals as much as they strategically could/should, in my opinion. As AmericanAFL said, it's usually a late game play, or a late 1st half play.

The theory I think is they can either score a try, win a penalty, or ideally put a kick in and force a repeat set in some way, which when holding a lead are seen as better outcomes because you get another chance at all those things.

I think there is huge value in going up by 3 scores, but that has more value the later the game gets. Any team with possession in the first half final minute should be aiming for 1 imo, unless it's a goal line set.
With 20 minutes left, that's a lot of time, but it depends on conditions, teams, etc. So many variables.

Really appreciate the feedback mate

Thoughts?

I absolutely agree with you that it should be used more and it was one of my first observations when I got engrossed in the game 5 years ago . As others have said the risk is deemed to outweigh the reward.

The other more significant issue is the kicking of most teams is poor beyond 1-2 players and as such, the team defending marks these players wisely to force a miskick or a charge down. If teams had/have 4 good kickers, they may be more inclined to try more often as it increases their rate of success.

May 3, 2003
Warriorville
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NZ Warriors, Wallan FNC

Thoughts?

This is a great thread.

May 3, 2003
Warriorville
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NZ Warriors, Wallan FNC

DeadlyAkkuret

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Mar 10, 2007
Ensconced in velvet
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Lakers, West Ham
Round one might not even mean much in a week or so, hard to take it seriously at the moment.

Roosters will be alright. It’s a marathon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back