NRL NRL 2020 Season - Round 20

Penrith/Roosters easily the most intriguing game here. Love the Panthers but season will mean nothing now if they can't at least win a final. Just think Roosters at full strength might pip them here, and Panthers should win the next week.

Melbourne will beat Parramatta.

South Sydney will destroy Newcastle.

Canberra will beat the Sharks comfortably.

Not the most exciting first week as I reckon 3/4 winners are pretty predictable.

Yep won't be shocked either way in that first game. Think the winner is the premiership favourite after that game.

Jul 12, 2004
Junktion Oval
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
England
Finals tips

Roosters def Penrith (this will be a cracker)

- Just feel Roosters experience might be the difference

Melb de Parra

- I can't see Parra getting close to be honest

Souths def Newcastle

- Newcastle are cannon fodder

Canberra def Cronulla

- Cronulla are lucky 4 teams were more awful! Titans would have given the Raiders a run.

Lucky there were 8 teams worse you mean? Clearly better than any team outside the 8. With a fit SJ I'd be pretty confident against Canberra, without it will be tough, but only be missing 2 key players next week so we'll give it a red hot crack. Better than the 10 missing tonight

Lucky there were 8 teams worse you mean? Clearly better than any team outside the 8. With a fit SJ I'd be pretty confident against Canberra, without it will be tough, but only be missing 2 key players next week so we'll give it a red hot crack. Better than the 10 missing tonight

Titans are probably the best team from 6 onwards in the comp in the last 6 weeks though. They'd be a better game and yes that takes into account the injury Cronulla have to Johnson.

Jul 12, 2004
Junktion Oval
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
England
Titans are probably the best team from 6 onwards in the comp in the last 6 weeks though. They'd be a better game and yes that takes into account the injury Cronulla have to Johnson.

6 weeks is a convenient timeframe given 7 weeks ago they lost to Cronulla, 6 weeks ago they lost very easily to Canberra. A lot more than the Newtown Jets did tonight.

One win against a top 8 side with nothing to play for in the final game of the season is hardly cause for celebration.

AmericanAFL

Cancelled
Shiny Penny
Oct 8, 2018
Near Philly
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
Raiders won't win for starters, they have rested their whole side lol

That Parra game has upset written over it...the Tigers can at least score! Parra can't right now.

Glad you were wrong mate, I had the Parra, Panther, Raider parlay!

After watching Papenhuyzen today it astonishes me that Melbourne are so anxious to move Cameron Smith on after this season.

If they don’t Grant won’t be coming back. Take your pick. It’s time to move on from Smith probably.

moto748

Premiership Player
Apr 19, 2010
Wigan
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Wigan Warriors
Yeah, pretty much agree. I expect Canberra to get past the Sharks, but it's hard to see them getting any further.

[edit: in response to juss]

Thoughts on the "intent to injure" comment from Alexander?

I'm not sure he did at the start, but the final pull-down looked very bad.

Can't say it's the first time these tactics have come up from a number of sides. It a horrible look. Was there intention to injure yesterday I don't know. He's lucky the injury wasn't severe.

Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
Not sure that going into the finals with a 50 point loss under the belt is such a good idea. Particularly when you have to play the form side in the competition.

Can the Chooks bounce back ? Of course they can as they are a good side. Will they? that is a different question.

We had a similar situation in the AFL a few seasons back when Ross Lyon and Brad Scott decided to rest half their team in the last minor round game. I went to the Dockers v Port game at Adelaide Oval when the Dockers had half their side out. I didn't work for them as we beat them by 69 points, they fell over the line the next week and were comfortably beaten by Hawthorn the following week . North fared a little better as they won two finals before losing to West Coast in Perth. Following Lyon and Scott's resting of players the AFL introduced a bye to take the 'players need a rest' reasoning away. Maybe the NRL need to think of a similar solution solution? Coaches resting half the side out is not a good look and doesn't make for compelling viewing.

As for the first week of the finals:

I think the Panthers will account for the Chooks.
Unfortunately the Raiders will be to good for the Sharks without Shaun Johnson.
The now red hot Bunnies will beat the Knights.
Despite their loss yesterday the Storm will be too strong for the Eels whose best form was in the first half of the year.

Hopefully we get a few close games after the one sided affairs of the past two weeks.

moto748

Premiership Player
Apr 19, 2010
Wigan
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Wigan Warriors
I agree with raptalia, and I'd say that only the Penrith game result really looks in doubt, it could go either way (the loser gets another crack, don't they?).

I still haven't watched the Dragons/Storm game, so I've got that, er, treat in store right now. :p

And yes, thank you, Warriors. I was chatting to a mate in the pub last week, who told me he was betting against the Warriors cos he reckoned they'd fold at the end of the season. I said he was wrong, and the Warriors were on the up. Can't wait till next time I see him! :)

Back