NRL NRL 2021 Season - Round 15

Remove this Banner Ad

Least missed? By you? Their fans? Members?

The other point was more about you mentioning you grow the game nationally by making it more international.

They could get those 16k members and fans in Adelaide. I did add Perth and Adelaide which makes it far more National than it is now.

It's all a pipe dream anyway. I'm actually starting to think Brisbane 2 won't even get off the ground.

Last edited:
They could get those 16k members and fans in Adelaide. I did add Perth and Adelaide which makes it far more National than it is now.

It's all a pipe dream anyway. I'm actually starting to think Brisbane 2 won't even get off the ground.
Spot on!
If Brisbane II is this difficult, a second NZ team and a Perth team are yonks away. No team is going to merge/relocate so expansion the only option and the AFL still struggling with 18 teams ten years after their expansion.

I think they need to just accept that trying to make it a national game is far beyond the NRL now. Perhaps in the future, but only if numbers grow significantly in the established markets first.

It's interesting to read this debate. From a UK perspective, the NRL has an enviable abundance of talent; they must be hardly no player on the edge of the starting 13 that isn't on the wanted list of some SL club. But, at the time, I can understand the reluctance, especially considering the current state of the ladder. Could a new side really be anything other than an NRL version of Leigh Centurions?.

Or is it more about the coaching? Maybe the talent is out there, if Craig Bellamy could get his hands on more kids. So as to speak. :D It would be nice to think so.

It's interesting to read this debate. From a UK perspective, the NRL has an enviable abundance of talent; they must be hardly no player on the edge of the starting 13 that isn't on the wanted list of some SL club. But, at the time, I can understand the reluctance, especially considering the current state of the ladder. Could a new side really be anything other than an NRL version of Leigh Centurions?.

Or is it more about the coaching? Maybe the talent is out there, if Craig Bellamy could get his hands on more kids. So as to speak. :D It would be nice to think so.
There is quite a gulf between the English game, the second grades and the nrl. I've seen enough players in the 2nds play good football but either aren't good enough to make consistent football or just don't get the opportunity.

It's easy to argue there is the top 2-4 sides then they gradually jump down in calibre.

The point about Bellamy is a really good one. Look what this guy and his support crew can do to average footy players in molding them into a champion team. Ivan Cleary's doing that now at Penrith too.

The point about Bellamy is a really good one. Look what this guy and his support crew can do to average footy players in molding them into a champion team. Ivan Cleary's doing that now at Penrith too.
Bellamy has never had an average team though. When NEWS Ltd owned the team every other club was subsidising the storm and that money went into nabbing the best junior talent in Qld. That's how the storm ended up with Cronk, Slater, Inglis, Smith, Folau and Kaufusi. Ever since the NEWS sale the Jayco owner has been funding that.
What Bellamy is good at it is putting out a well regimented team that can play high intensity and hard (and grubby) football, week in, week out.
For all their dominance during regular seasons every year to have only won 3 premierships since the salary cap rorts (sorta) stopped is a bit of a failure.
Every september other teams raise the intensity of their game while the storm are already there and can't raise it any more. It's a nice problem to have I guess.

Using Bellamy is an interesting point.
A person who won only 2 SOO games in 3 years.
Surely having that quality of players would’ve lead to better results at that stage.

Using Bellamy is an interesting point.
A person who won only 2 SOO games in 3 years.
Surely having that quality of players would’ve lead to better results at that stage.
His a good club coach, while someone like fitler is good for the rep. Quality players would have helped though.

Bellamy has never had an average team though. When NEWS Ltd owned the team every other club was subsidising the storm and that money went into nabbing the best junior talent in Qld. That's how the storm ended up with Cronk, Slater, Inglis, Smith, Folau and Kaufusi. Ever since the NEWS sale the Jayco owner has been funding that.
What Bellamy is good at it is putting out a well regimented team that can play high intensity and hard (and grubby) football, week in, week out.
For all their dominance during regular seasons every year to have only won 3 premierships since the salary cap rorts (sorta) stopped is a bit of a failure.
Every september other teams raise the intensity of their game while the storm are already there and can't raise it any more. It's a nice problem to have I guess.
The quality of the Bellamy/Storm system is very few players go there and stagnate or get worse. Same applies for Roosters too under Robinson.

I look at Bellamy, and I see the players he has kept (say, Smith and Hughes), and the players he has let go, and some of those have made decent careers at other clubs, but time after time, few can argue with his choices.

I look at Bellamy, and I see the players he has kept (say, Smith and Hughes), and the players he has let go, and some of those have made decent careers at other clubs, but time after time, few can argue with his choices.
You wonder how good someone like B Smith would be at another club. The amount of older players he gets in to support the main team, and the ability bring out there best (these guys have minimal games at other clubs and are past the point most clubs would care to develop them)

Roosters are able to recruit players that they need and have such an environment were they will thrive. Penrith have a good list of players, most of whom have played together for the longest time. All 3 are good, just storms consistency is well above (even if you remove the greats they have had).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back