moto748

Premiership Player
Apr 19, 2010
Wigan
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Wigan Warriors
The Dragons: up against a side with the fragile confidence of Wests, who've won only one game all season, and look in complete disarray. An ideal opportunity to build confidence and really put your foot on the throat.

And what happens next? Oh, you've read the script... :p

Dec 7, 2007
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Rabbitohs, Villa, McLaren F1, ENG
Hasn't impressed me as much as Mahoney this season. Although their maybe some Parramatta bias in that comment. :)
No doubt as much as my Souths bias.
Depends on what you want from your hooker too I suppose, We don't have the need for Cook to be kicking unlike Mahoney who kicks a lot.
Cook has had 29 more dummy half runs and ran some 200m and than Mahoney, Unsure on Cooks stats but Mahoneys 8 Handling errors in 8 games are not great for a #9.

I'm not saying Reed hasn't been good, but I think Cooks NSW and Australian spot are still pretty safe for the moment

No doubt as much as my Souths bias.
Depends on what you want from your hooker too I suppose, We don't have the need for Cook to be kicking unlike Mahoney who kicks a lot.
Cook has had 29 more dummy half runs and ran some 200m and than Mahoney, Unsure on Cooks stats but Mahoneys 8 Handling errors in 8 games are not great for a #9.

I'm not saying Reed hasn't been good, but I think Cooks NSW and Australian spot are still pretty safe for the moment
Can't see Mahoney usurping Cook for the Kangaroos #9, but I do think he is a chance of representing the QLDers in the SOO.

Statistically he touches the ball more than any other player in the NRL at the moment (979 receipts), so to only have made only 8 handling errors isn't too bad.

In the end the most important thing is to score tries when you have the ball and defend when you don't and Mahoney has 8 try assists, which the fifth most in the NRL (I couldn't see Cook's name in the top 50) and he is third for tackles (46 ahead of fourth placed Cook), which is good enough for me. I think he is the best #9 we've had for a long, long time, perhaps going as far back as Steve Edge in the early 80's.

And he is still only 23.

moto748

Premiership Player
Apr 19, 2010
Wigan
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Wigan Warriors
An embarrassment of riches indeed. So many good 9s, so many good full-backs. And only four origin places to choose.

An embarrassment of riches indeed. So many good 9s, so many good full-backs. And only four origin places to choose.

Four? They won't pick 4 hookers! QLD definitely won't pick 2, well I'd be shocked if they do. Cook will be the only hooker NSW bother with picking. NSW have a big gap between him and the next best.

He does, but like Walker at the Roosters, he looks scarily on the frail side! But looks an instinctive talent, for sure.

Do't be shocked if QLD pick Walker this year though. I would have laughed at it a few months ago but it isn't as if the alternatives are in fantastic form. If you are good enough you are old enough.

Two hookers and two full-backs, Luke.

Arrh of course. NSW have more options at FB...who on earth knows what QLD will do. I'd go Brimson myself but watch them go Ponga for the flashy rubbish he tries. Brimson is a better Origin FB.

As for NSW they need to just pick ONE fullback, stop playing blokes out of position. Gutherson is an awful centre, Tommy Trobojevic isn't much better. You could justify Trobojevic on the wing but you pick out of position payers you run a risk.

Honestly a backline of

1. Tedesco
2. Trobojevic
3. Crighton
4. Lomax (or another centre)
5. Addo Carr
6. Luai
7. Cleary

I wouldn't pick Mitchell or Gutherson. Would be a toss up between Trobojevic and the Penrith winger Ben To'O (never get his spelling right)

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
WWE Board Goosed Sweet F.A Sikh Volunteers Charity Match Tasmanian Team NFL Fantasy Comp Champion Armchair Endzone Major Comp Champion
Aug 11, 2006
Arrh of course. NSW have more options at FB...who on earth knows what QLD will do. I'd go Brimson myself but watch them go Ponga for the flashy rubbish he tries. Brimson is a better Origin FB.

As for NSW they need to just pick ONE fullback, stop playing blokes out of position. Gutherson is an awful centre, Tommy Trobojevic isn't much better. You could justify Trobojevic on the wing but you pick out of position payers you run a risk.

Honestly a backline of

1. Tedesco
2. Trobojevic
3. Crighton
4. Lomax (or another centre)
5. Addo Carr
6. Luai
7. Cleary

I wouldn't pick Mitchell or Gutherson. Would be a toss up between Trobojevic and the Penrith winger Ben To'O (never get his spelling right)

I'm prepared to fight anyone who argues that Wighton still isn't the Blues number 6.

I'm prepared to fight anyone who argues that Wighton still isn't the Blues number 6.

Luai is better. If it’s a tight call I’d always go with the club combination plus if you are honest Wighton hasn’t been in great form this season anyway. However this is make or break for Cleary if he fails when he gets the club combination it’s time to move on.

Back