LukeParkerno1

Post-Human
Sep 23, 2005
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Given the storm lost a first choice rep level fullback, first choice rep level winger and first choice rep level prop for essentially the year it’s a minor miracle they got where they did.

Shows you how brain silky it is moving the best 5/8 in the game to FB though

Angus Young

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Sharks are done. They had to win that.

The prelim final now between Penrith and Roosters/Souths is the real Grand Final.

IMO The winner of that stomps whoever.

moto748

Premiership Player
Apr 19, 2010
Wigan
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Wigan Warriors
Well I thought the Sharks/Cowboys would be close... But what a terrific contest, and some wonderful scores by both sides. But what I kept wondering, and they didn't mention, was what would have happened if golden point time expired, and was still a draw? Play on until there's a score? Surely there would be no time to schedule a replay.

I fancy the Roosters tomorrow, but I'm certainly not writing off Souths.

GP is rubbish anyway. Why not have the 5 mins extra time in all games, then if it's still a draw, it's draw.

phantom13

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Well I thought the Sharks/Cowboys would be close... But what a terrific contest, and some wonderful scores by both sides. But what I kept wondering, and they didn't mention, was what would have happened if golden point time expired, and was still a draw? Play on until there's a score? Surely there would be no time to schedule a replay.

GP is rubbish anyway. Why not have the 5 mins extra time in all games, then if it's still a draw, it's draw.
I’m pretty sure they just play GP until someone scores, they made a point to say we absolutely have a result tonight no matter how long it takes.

When it becomes GP you’re really one line break (or a couple of line bending runs) from field goal range anyway.

raskolnikov

Premium Platinum
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Lions, Suns
Go the Cowboys.

Cowboys and Lions would be a great double.

Queenslander! (Except for the Maroons and Broncos. They can GAGF)

raskolnikov

Premium Platinum
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Lions, Suns
Weird to be in on the Cowboys and lions but then be from NSW…

Real weird.

I grew up in NSW barracking for the Blues. I've lived in Queensland for over ten years now. (Twenty years in Melbourne in between). I've taken a liking to the Queensland teams but NSW is still my state of origin team.

phantom13

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
I grew up in NSW barracking for the Blues. I've lived in Queensland for over ten years now. (Twenty years in Melbourne in between). I've taken a liking to the Queensland teams but NSW is still my state of origin team.
No judgement, I’m a supplant myself (born in QLD. Live in Melb).

Queensland SOO, Broncos league, Saints AFL but I do have a soft spot for the lions and the storm.

You’ve just got three states and complete opposition in some instances.

raskolnikov

Premium Platinum
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Lions, Suns
No judgement, I’m a supplant myself (born in QLD. Live in Melb).

Queensland SOO, Broncos league, Saints AFL but I do have a soft spot for the lions and the storm.

You’ve just got three states and complete opposition in some instances.
Not really though. The Queensland SOO team is for those who were born here. I wasn't. But as a Queensland resident now (and don't see myself moving again) I get behind the Queensland teams unless they're in opposition to my teams. I can't stand the Broncos though. Probably because of the Wally Lewis, Alfie Langer, Gene Miles, Steve Renouf etc factor who were NSW's opposition back when I lived in NSW.

Last edited:

juss

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Penrith rested their entire side basically in the last round, then another week off now before the PF. I wonder if that's not the ideal prep? Too little match time?

LukeParkerno1

Post-Human
Sep 23, 2005
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans

They had extra time last night 5 mins each way. Golden Point which I hate is after that.

I do believe you should get right of reply though so a team kicks a FG you have a set to equal that score so last night Cronulla would have had to score a try or kick a 2 point FG to win/equal.

LukeParkerno1

Post-Human
Sep 23, 2005
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Penrith rested their entire side basically in the last round, then another week off now before the PF. I wonder if that's not the ideal prep? Too little match time?

Nup perfect prep few bodies are banged up. The week off is massive in NRL

Roobs321

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
I'm in the same boat. Sydney born and grew up barracking for the Blues and despite being a Queenslander for several years I couldn't call myself a Maroon (nor a Bronco). I've always been keen on the Lions and Cowboys too. I can't really picture myself getting behind a QLD state side, and as you said the Maroons/Broncos are tied up with too many memories.

BStaff17

Club Legend
Aug 1, 2016
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'm in the same boat. Sydney born and grew up barracking for the Blues and despite being a Queenslander for several years I couldn't call myself a Maroon (nor a Bronco). I've always been keen on the Lions and Cowboys too. I can't really picture myself getting behind a QLD state side, and as you said the Maroons/Broncos are tied up with too many memories.
Cowboys are similar to Freo in the AFL. Both brought into the comp in 1995 and struggled early on for any success despite massive fan support while the Eagles in AFL and Broncos in NRL continued to dominate.

They are considered the little brothers in there football mad state.

League in QLD and AFL in WA.

Titans are an irrelevant cousin in QLD

Premium Gold
Aug 9, 2017
Tasmania
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers

I like GP to be honest, not sure why it is so hated.

Love watching halves try to execute late in games in 'clutch time' and you get the odd game where someone has the balls to go wide late in the set against the rushing line.

Premium Gold
Aug 9, 2017
Tasmania
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
People are way too quick to write off finals teams after week 1 of finals.

Both in AFL and NRL it happens every year, people have a reason for why 'x' team in the bottom half of the 8 is a huge chance and why the losing team from week 1 is doomed. Penrith for example last week were a great example, people were writing them off big time after the Bunnies game.

LukeParkerno1

Post-Human
Sep 23, 2005
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
I like GP to be honest, not sure why it is so hated.

Love watching halves try to execute late in games in 'clutch time' and you get the odd game where someone has the balls to go wide late in the set against the rushing line.

It’s a cheap way to end it. Normal games should be a draw. Extra time for finals

GG.exe

Kylo was here
Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
There should be no extra time or golden point for any sports in a regular season game. Let the draws/ties happen. Just finals there needs to be something.

juss

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
This is epic. Roosters can end it here with a good 10 minutes with 2 off for Souths.