NRL NRL 2022 Season - Round 1

Who Wins Round 1?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

So many bullshit decisions in that parra - gc game.

Two tries to parra that werent, one try to gc that wasnt, two late penalties to parra (4 pts) that werent

The last shot at goal was an insult to the game. I'm not having a dig at Parra, but that sort of time-wasting must end.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So many bullshit decisions in that parra - gc game.

Two tries to parra that werent, one try to gc that wasnt, two late penalties to parra (4 pts) that werent
Which tries weren't?

Which tries weren't?
The third and fifth try by Parra, and the try by GC where he was stopped short of the line and reached out kinda. All of them were suspect. Parra, guy never got ball down and/or short, next one he got drilled sliding to the line and his shoulder etc was on the sideline before the ball ever reached the try line, and even then looked like he lost control of it. Same with GCs try, the guy never got the ball to the try line as he reached out and lost control of the ball short of the try line.

Initially thought they'd coughed it up with that late hit 17 seconds left but nothing on replay.

Fantastic defense.
Especially with all the injuries during the game.

Tried hard to milk a penalty at the death, but he ducked his head straight into his chest. No doubt it hurt, but no penalty.

Was still worth the try.

The third and fifth try by Parra, and the try by GC where he was stopped short of the line and reached out kinda. All of them were suspect. Parra, guy never got ball down and/or short, next one he got drilled sliding to the line and his shoulder etc was on the sideline before the ball ever reached the try line, and even then looked like he lost control of it. Same with GCs try, the guy never got the ball to the try line as he reached out and lost control of the ball short of the try line.
Parramatta try #3 - Momentum got Shaun Lane over the line and the ball looked to have hit the chalk before the GC defender got his hand under the ball. It was close but I think it was a try and don't think the bunker could have reversed the referee's call.

Parramatta try #5 - Sean Russell had control of the ball and was at least 10cms inside the touch line when he crossed the chalk. He lost control after he crossed the line because of knees to the ribs. Definitely a try and perhaps a penalty try and a send off, although it was in the act of attempting a tackle so I can understand why it wasn't called that way. It will be interesting to see how the match review committee see it.

Gold Coast try #2 - Poor defense from Parramatta allowed Clarke to break a few tackles and place the ball on the chalk. Like Lane's it was close but I think the benefit of the doubt should go to the try scorer and I couldn't see the bunker reversing the referee's call.

Also every try is reviewed by the bunker whether the referee calls for a review or not and they had no issues with any of them, so I'm happy for those one to be given. The only try I had doubts about was Gold Coast's first, the final pass looked at least 2m forward, but the bunker can't make calls on forward passes.:(

Has something changed?

Watching a replay of the earlier game, and Russell was off side when the the kick for the second try was made. He was also within 10m of the contest off the post.

Was it just one of things they didn't look at or is there something I'm missing?

Has something changed?

Watching a replay of the earlier game, and Russell was off side when the the kick for the second try was made. He was also within 10m of the contest off the post.

Was it just one of things they didn't look at or is there something I'm missing?
Russell was off side for the first kick, but stayed outside the 10 metre zone, but he was behind Brown (who was on side) when he kicked the ball so was placed onside.

And as mentioned earlier, the bunker reviewed the try and found no issue.

Russell was off side for the first kick, but stayed outside the 10 metre zone, but he was behind Brown (who was on side) when he kicked the ball so was placed onside.

And as mentioned earlier, the bunker reviewed the try and found no issue.
Was a pretty small 10m if he was outside the zone.

History also suggests that putting that much faith in the bunker getting it right is not very wise.

Back