NRL NRL 2022 Season - Round 10 (Magic Round)

Remove this Banner Ad

Agreed.

Who is available?

Good question

Shane Flanagan the most successful but he comes with red flags

I’d go with John Morris who has been fantastic in lower grades in Cronulla and has shown an ability to develop players which is what Canterbury need.

Cameron Ciraldo the riskier option as he has less coaching but he’s highly regarded.

Personally one of the last two just not sure what way you go. If you go Ciraldo an experienced assistant is needed maybe someone like Paul Green.

Good question

Shane Flanagan the most successful but he comes with red flags

I’d go with John Morris who has been fantastic in lower grades in Cronulla and has shown an ability to develop players which is what Canterbury need.

Cameron Ciraldo the riskier option as he has less coaching but he’s highly regarded.

Personally one of the last two just not sure what way you go. If you go Ciraldo an experienced assistant is needed maybe someone like Paul Green.
I actually think that's the opposite of what they need. They've recruited players with the view to win now.

I actually think that's the opposite of what they need. They've recruited players with the view to win now.

Most of the players they have brought are young. It’s always been a process they have been stating. Apart from JAC most are hitting their prime in 2-3 years. It’s a very young core still. Aim for 2024 or so.

Most of the players they have brought are young. It’s always been a process they have been stating. Apart from JAC most are hitting their prime in 2-3 years. It’s a very young core still. Aim for 2024 or so.
If you aim for 2024, you will lose players. Burton is not hanging around for that. JAC will move on.

Most the players they've bought in were not young. They were prime years but s**t.

JAC - 26
Dufty - 26 (and s**t)
Vaughn - 31 (and s**t)
Naden - 26 (and s**t)
Max King - 25 (worth keeping - mediocre but solid enough)
Burton - 22 (great signing but will now struggle to keep)
TPJ - 26 (understand the signing but he'll only ever excel in a good side)
Josh Cook - 23 (depth - wouldn't expect he'll last)
Braidon Burns - 25 (and s**t)
Reece Hoffman - 21 (depth - also not expecting much)

So most of the players they've bought are mid 20's and are not in fact, hitting their primes in 2-3 years. They should already be in them. Throw in Kikau in 2023 (who'll be 28) and they've assembled a 'win now' squad.

All of this is irrelevant though as they've spent way too much of the cap and don't have a FB, HB or hooker that's genuinely NRL standard.

Barrett was a decent enough appointment at the time - Burton wasn't coming without him and unless they land Ciraldo, he'll be gone after next season.

I would hate to coach any club that Gus is currently employed by. Having that ego hovering over you would be suffocating.

Seemed to work fine for Penrith. Gus has only been there for 6 months.

If you aim for 2024, you will lose players. Burton is not hanging around for that. JAC will move on.

Most the players they've bought in were not young. They were prime years but s**t.

JAC - 26
Dufty - 26 (and s**t)
Vaughn - 31 (and s**t)
Naden - 26 (and s**t)
Max King - 25 (worth keeping - mediocre but solid enough)
Burton - 22 (great signing but will now struggle to keep)
TPJ - 26 (understand the signing but he'll only ever excel in a good side)
Josh Cook - 23 (depth - wouldn't expect he'll last)
Braidon Burns - 25 (and s**t)
Reece Hoffman - 21 (depth - also not expecting much)

So most of the players they've bought are mid 20's and are not in fact, hitting their primes in 2-3 years. They should already be in them. Throw in Kikau in 2023 (who'll be 28) and they've assembled a 'win now' squad.

All of this is irrelevant though as they've spent way too much of the cap and don't have a FB, HB or hooker that's genuinely NRL standard.

Yep there issue is the spine and throw in the lock too who is cooked (Jackson). Fantastic servant but he’s past it.

This is why I’d aim for 2024, you can’t fill spine positions easily. I do rate BBO though he could be the halfback hopefully now Barrett is gone he’ll get a chance. TPJ was a dumb signing said it at the time best thing Brisbane did he’s as lazy as they come.

Don’t think they have the option of “playing for now” ideally sure but the squad isn’t there. Go for 2024 but be upfront to the players

Seemed to work fine for Penrith. Gus has only been there for 6 months.
Worked fine for Penrith? Gus fired Ivan which sent him to Wests in the first place, all so he could put Griffin in (vomit).

He was overruled in bringing Ivan back, and left Penrith 4 months after that happened.

I live in Penrith and have got contacts high in that club - I assure you, no one wishes Gus was still there. It's not coincidental that success has come after he left.

Worked fine for Penrith? Gus fired Ivan which sent him to Wests in the first place, all so he could put Griffin in (vomit).

He was overruled in bringing Ivan back, and left Penrith 4 months after that happened.

I live in Penrith and have got contacts high in that club - I assure you, no one wishes Gus was still there. It's not coincidental that success has come after he left.

Still did plenty of good things at Penrith, and Griffin did install some toughness which was lacking at the time. Cleary was just obviously a better coach to take them from that position to winning. The other way is Cleary is an average development one as seen at Wests especially

Every football op head has faults they aren’t perfect.

Still did plenty of good things at Penrith, and Griffin did install some toughness which was lacking at the time. Cleary was just obviously a better coach to take them from that position to winning. The other way is Cleary is an average development one as seen at Wests especially

Every football op head has faults they aren’t perfect.
Gus had a 5 year plan that was in it's 8th year and never looked like succeeding until after he left.

He obviously did good things in his time there but no one lasts 8 years if they don't.

As for Cleary not succeeding at Wests - no coach has. It says more about the club than the coach.

Gus had a 5 year plan that was in it's 8th year and never looked like succeeding until after he left.

He obviously did good things in his time there but no one lasts 8 years if they don't.

As for Cleary not succeeding at Wests - no coach has. It says more about the club than the coach.

Each to their own sometimes these plans take longer. Very hard to blame the football op officer all the time they are the easy targets.

Cleary hasn’t shown he can develop yet let’s see how he goes after this Penrith era (which will happen eventually

Each to their own sometimes these plans take longer. Very hard to blame the football op officer all the time they are the easy targets.

Cleary hasn’t shown he can develop yet let’s see how he goes after this Penrith era (which will happen eventually
That might be true - the one with the biggest ego in the game however...

Can't develop talent? Penrith's young guns have developed under Cleary. Crichton, Luai, To'o, Tago, Martin, Yeo. They've all developed bloody well under Ivan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back