NRL NRL and NRLW expansion

Remove this Banner Ad

GG.exe

Post-Human
Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
I would 100% urge the Sharks to relocate to Perth. The supporter base in Cronulla is tiny, and that in Perth "potentially" much higher, can own a whole city. Can still have a Cronulla in the NSWRL. If they stay in Cronulla they may die out.

From the league perspective, would make better sense to relocate a tiny Sydney club, than grant a new license to Perth. You dont have try to fit in a new license from Perth when max 20 teams is the limit.

You have to somehow fit in Perth, Adelaide, NZ2, PNG/Cairns, Qld5 (west), as well as Campbelltown, Gosford, Wollongong footholds.

New licenses can be saved for NZ2, QLD5, PNG/Cairns. And push Sharks to Perth to fill that, Dragons to Wollongong permanently, Tigers to Campbelltown permanently (stave off AFL interest there). One day Bulldogs to Adelaide. Maybe one day Eagles to Gosford (if not Bears).

GG.exe

Post-Human
Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Back on The Dolphins....

It's probably entirely unique in world sport, to have a sports team not have a location name. But I really dislike the decision. Think it's stupid.

I understand the various options for a geographic name were problematic -- too insular, too generic, not a good ring to it, etc. But a very weird decision.

DEVO

Premium Platinum
Sep 8, 2000
Canberra, ACT, Australia
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Parramatta Eels
Honestly, think it should have gone to Ipswich Jets. That's the RL heartland in Qld.
I think the NRL were a little concerned about having three teams in SE QLD all in close proximity to each other and battling for the same dollar.

Redcliffe have a better chance of growing because they can expand out of North Brisbane and into the Sunshine Coast and Moreton Bay, it's a larger, more populous area and is growing more rapidly.

DEVO

Premium Platinum
Sep 8, 2000
Canberra, ACT, Australia
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Parramatta Eels
Back on The Dolphins....

It's probably entirely unique in world sport, to have a sports team not have a location name. But I really dislike the decision. Think it's stupid.

I understand the various options for a geographic name were problematic -- too insular, too generic, not a good ring to it, etc. But a very weird decision.
My understanding is the name and club colours haven't been determined yet, but could be announced as early as next week.

There was talk yesterday that the Sunshine Coast Dolphins or Moreton Bay-Redcliffe Dolphins could be the name.

Club colours are likely to be the traditional Redcliffe colours of Red and White with a third colour like Silver or Grey included to differenciate them from the Dragons/Steelers.

GG.exe

Post-Human
Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Reduce Sydney teams by moving them to wollongong, campbelltown, gosford, perth, adelaide.....those relocated will be stronger for it owning a region and those who stayed in Sydney will be stronger having less competition.

Side-benefit...you get a true national comp without creating more licenses.

DEVO

Premium Platinum
Sep 8, 2000
Canberra, ACT, Australia
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Parramatta Eels
But having a dozen teams in Sydney doesn't have the same issue?
Of course it does, but the Sydney clubs have been around for more than 50 years and before the league went National. Sort of National. It would be stupid to create another condensed grouping of clubs when they are looking at reducing the number of clubs in Sydney.

Hap Hapablap

I'm off to Nepal to become a mountain goat.
Jun 27, 2006
Where the cows go bong.
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lakers,Inter,Man U
should they put another team within their existing markets the nrl will have missed a massive opportunity to grow across the country. 25 years since the super league wars surely they can expand past west of he blue mountains

Heardy_101

SFA S31 GUN Winner
Nov 20, 2011
South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Portsmouth
My understanding is the name and club colours haven't been determined yet, but could be announced as early as next week.

There was talk yesterday that the Sunshine Coast Dolphins or Moreton Bay-Redcliffe Dolphins could be the name.

Club colours are likely to be the traditional Redcliffe colours of Red and White with a third colour like Silver or Grey included to differenciate them from the Dragons/Steelers.
Sunshine Coast might be an issue, especially given there is already a team called "Sunshine Coast".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

DEVO

Premium Platinum
Sep 8, 2000
Canberra, ACT, Australia
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Parramatta Eels
Spent many a summer holiday in redcliffe visiting my granma.

Little bit torn truthfully about whether to stick with the historical team (Broncos) or jump ship, never actually had this happen before.
We lived a few blocks away from Dolphin Oval for about nine months in 1975, one of our neighbours would take his son to all the home games and for a season I would tag along. I started following Redcliffe a year before I started following Parramatta. I've known since the 90's of Redcliffe's ambition to join the NRL but I've always been a little hesitant because I wouldn't know which team to follow, but the fact that they aren't calling themselves the Redcliffe Dolphins is making it a little easier not to have to choose.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad