Not open for further replies.
May 3, 2003
Warriorville
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NZ Warriors, Wallan FNC
"NRL bosses meet players advisory group to set agenda for women’s game"

After three seasons of a four-team competition, the NRLW will move forward with extra teams this season, with the ultimate goal of every NRL club fielding a team also definitely in reach.

Are you born in 2002 or 2003 & Open age, and interested in playing Rugby League? Live in Victoria?
We are looking for U19 and Open Women’s to fill 2 teams at this year’s NRL Women’s National Championships.
Register your interest via link below to receive more information!
👉🏽
www.playrugbyleague.com/national-championships-eoi/

" Supporters of a second Brisbane club in the NRL have released figures of their own which blow away claims that expansion will hurt the league."

Brisbane’s three bid teams will deliver formal presentations to the ARL Commission on Monday amid revelations a 17th NRL club will be worth $125 million to rugby league’s broadcasters over a five-year cycle.
News Corp can reveal D-Day has arrived for the NRL’s expansion hopefuls with the Firehawks, Dolphins and Jets to front the ARL Commission for formal interviews in Brisbane following State of Origin II at Suncorp Stadium.

ARL Commission boss Peter V’landys made a desperate dash to Brisbane on Wednesday, beating the Covid-related Queensland border closure, to ensure he attends the most critical meeting yet in the NRL’s expansion push.

And V’landys’ plan to grow the code has received a massive boost with an independent report estimating a second Brisbane team would be worth $25 million to the NRL in 2023.

Applying that figure to a five-year term, the length of the NRL‘s last TV rights deal, a fourth Queensland team can be valued at a staggering $125 million — scuppering fears a 17th club would be a financial burden on the code.

The report, conducted by the Gemba Group, also found TV ratings would increase by 9.3 million viewers, while a second Brisbane team could boost NRL crowds by 160,000 in 2023.

V‘landys has always maintained the numbers must stack up for the NRL to expand and the independent data, funded by 12 of the 16 clubs, is the most compelling sign yet a second Brisbane team will be given the green light.

The expansion push will gather steam when the bid teams square off on Monday, with V‘landys confirming the high-powered meetings ahead of a definitive call on expansion next month.

“We will be doing formal interviews with the bid teams after Origin II, that‘s correct,” V’landys said.

“We’re on track with the time frames that have been set (for an expansion announcement).

“We should not be on the board if we are too scared to look at a second Brisbane team.

“I am determined to grow the game … but I can honestly say I don‘t know which way expansion will go because I haven’t seen all the facts and figures.

“Whatever outcomes the Gemba report found, we will take that into account as a Commission and we will test them to see if it‘s accurate or inaccurate.

“We are also finalising our own report.

“I can’t say if there will be only one meeting (with the bid teams), we might have a second or third meeting, but I have to read the Gemba report, our own report and speak to the three bidders, which we will do next week.”

The Gemba report also found sponsorship and wagering will increase by $8.7 million with a 17th team.

That means an expanded competition could be worth a collective $168 million over five years to the NRL and their broadcast partners.

Some clubs opposed to expansion will question whether a second Brisbane team can deliver such value and have challenged the NRL to prove growing the code can generate more money.

Broadcasters Channel 9 and Fox Sports will have a crucial say in whether the code expands and the Gemba figures are evidence a second Brisbane team can deliver bang for their TV billions.

Firehawks bid chief Shane Richardson is adamant a second Brisbane team will generate millions for the code, a sentiment backed by rival Jets official Nick Livermore.

“David Gyngell (former Channel 9 boss) once said another Brisbane team is worth around $100 million over a five-year cycle, so his assessment appears accurate,” Livermore said.

“It‘s very hard to find an accurate measurement in this environment with Covid, but I have no doubt expanding the game can deliver financial benefit.

“The Brisbane market is effectively doubling from a broadcasting point of view, so if the report is saying a second team is worth $25 million to the NRL, then that‘s great news.

“If the game wants participation and growth, then I believe we are the bid to grow the game of rugby league in Queensland.”

CLAIMS: QUEENSLAND TEAMS COULD BE UNDER THREAT IF SECOND BRISBANE TEAM IS LAUNCHED

An independent report into NRL expansion has warned a 17th team in 2023 could cannibalise Queensland’s three clubs – and decimate NRL premiers Melbourne Storm.

A $100,000 probe conducted by the Gemba Group into NRL expansion, funded by 12 of the 16 clubs, has raised major concerns over a proposed second Brisbane team stealing fans, sponsors and players from the Broncos, Titans and Cowboys.

The findings will pique the interest of the ARL Commission, who are undertaking their own analysis of expansion after last month issuing expressions of interest to Brisbane’s prospective franchises the Dolphins, Jets and Firehawks.

Last month, Firehawks bid chief Shane Richardson, the NRL’s former strategy boss, declared the code can bankroll a second Brisbane team.

“Brisbane is ready for another team. The game is ready for expansion, absolutely,” Richardson said.

“I was part of the NRL in 2015 and we did a comprehensive analysis of the demographics and where the best locations were (for expansion), myself and Andrew Fraser did a fair bit of work on it.

“Southeast Queensland is a hotbed for rugby league talent, but the key is you have to value-add.

“It’s important the new team doesn’t steal IP (Intellectual Property) from the Broncos or Titans.

“The performance of the Queensland teams at the moment is not a concern.

“If anything, another team means more opportunities for Queensland kids to stay home. The expansion team will develop and keep others on their toes.

“A second Brisbane team helps Queensland in the State of Origin arena. It’s important we consider the benefits of expansion if we want Origin to remain healthy.”

Queensland Rugby League chairman Bruce Hatcher says he is open-minded about expansion, or possible relocation from a Sydney team – on the proviso it does not impact on the Titans.

“We need an NRL game at Suncorp every week,” he said.

“I believe the Titans have to be supported and we can’t continue to ignore the growth in that western corridor of Brisbane.

“I am not anti-expansion, but I do believe a Sydney team should consider straddling two markets by relocating and taking advantage of a new base in Queensland.

“All three bids are very credible, but the western corridor is the growth area of Queensland and with AFL there, we have to combat that.”

" Supporters of a second Brisbane club in the NRL have released figures of their own which blow away claims that expansion will hurt the league."

Has West Aussies given up trying to get a team into the NRL? Only then will the comp be a truly national one not one played solely on Australia's eastern seaboard.

How pissed would you be if you were involved with the Brisbane Jets

Covid is a convenient excuse.... I reckon it has something to do with the Olympics

FireHawks.
May it die after this.

No expansion, ever for mine.

IF it ever happens it needs to be, no particular order.
WA
SA
SEQ (from Sunny Coast to North Brisbane)
Ipswich (using Lang Park for big games)
PNG (can use townsille also)

Expansion roughly timed for between 2022-2024.

Of the three bids for Brisbane #2....

Redcliffes bid has the upper hand, Jets out of Ipswich a decent area, Firehawks south of the Brisbane River not a good location.

Qld expansion should push north and/or west of Brisbane.

Redcliffe wouldnt be called Redcliffe in the NRL, they should base out of the Sunshine Coast imo.

Heard some other suggestions for relocation too, which i think merits discussion....

Sharks to Perth :whitecheck:
Tigers to Campbelltown :whitecheck:
Sea Eagles to Gosford :crossmark:

Would think Central Coast Bears is a better and more ethical choice given the Bears were forced to relocate to Gosford to stay in the ARL but then denied.

I know the money and player pool is still iffy, with current teams struggling even financially, but id like to see all happen sooner than later ....

Sun State Dolphins
Ipswich Jets
Perth Sharks
Macarthur Tigers
Gosford Bears

Any expansion/relocation tho MUST include ways to funnel talent out of the few juggernaut clubs. Cap measures and moving players out of strong clubs to the new teams

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Expansion roughly timed for between 2022-2024.

Of the three bids for Brisbane #2....

Redcliffes bid has the upper hand, Jets out of Ipswich a decent area, Firehawks south of the Brisbane River not a good location.

Qld expansion should push north and/or west of Brisbane.

Redcliffe wouldnt be called Redcliffe in the NRL, they should base out of the Sunshine Coast imo.

Heard some other suggestions for relocation too, which i think merits discussion....

Sharks to Perth :whitecheck:
Tigers to Campbelltown :whitecheck:
Sea Eagles to Gosford :crossmark:

Would think Central Coast Bears is a better and more ethical choice given the Bears were forced to relocate to Gosford to stay in the ARL but then denied.

I know the money and player pool is still iffy, with current teams struggling even financially, but id like to see all happen sooner than later ....

Sun State Dolphins
Ipswich Jets
Perth Sharks
Macarthur Tigers
Gosford Bears

Any expansion/relocation tho MUST include ways to funnel talent out of the few juggernaut clubs. Cap measures and moving players out of strong clubs to the new teams
Go a little further ....

St.George-Sutherland Dragons
Illawarra Steelers

Regional re-configuration

I thought Easts Firehawks pulled out?
Redcliffe should get the nod and call themselves Moreton Bay Dolphins, it encompasses North Brisbane, Redcliffe Peninsula and Caboolture.
Sunshine Coast should wait until they get some more residents in the area first and not turn it into another Goldy waste land.

I wouldn't move or merge anyone in particular, just don't give clubs money and let them fend for themselves unless they perform they move or die. Harsh but you can't always bail them out, where's the money coming from?

I thought Easts Firehawks pulled out?
Redcliffe should get the nod and call themselves Moreton Bay Dolphins, it encompasses North Brisbane, Redcliffe Peninsula and Caboolture.
Sunshine Coast should wait until they get some more residents in the area first and not turn it into another Goldy waste land.

I wouldn't move or merge anyone in particular, just don't give clubs money and let them fend for themselves unless they perform they move or die. Harsh but you can't always bail them out, where's the money coming from?
Wasnt aware Firehawks pulled out, you are probably right, more in the loop.

If the NRL doesnt give clubs money so many will fold. The money is always a struggle. The league needs big international or national investors. The NRL tho really needs to focus on regional spreading and propping that up.

From the perspective of seeing the game struggle so much in the UK, given the power of the NRL and the viewing figures, you'd have to think that they could make the comp truly national, have teams in Perth etc. I know the distances are enormous, but the travel doesn't seem to be biggest problem anyway, as I understand it. But I recognise, of course, that it's not that simple. How big are the viewing figures for the NRL in WA, NT, Tassie, etc?

But I recognise, of course, that it's not that simple. How big are the viewing figures for the NRL in WA, NT, Tassie, etc?

Small in WA, SA and Tassie, but I would imagine the NT would be okish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back