NRL Rugby league expansion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Clubs come and go. As much as people are born into supporting them, future generations would get as adapted and adopted into other new clubs or relocated clubs. Generational change. No one cries anymore for Fitzroy AR, or Glebe, Newtown, etc in RL.

The bigger picture, the long-term sustainability of a sport itself (not even the league itself), is key. Look at the Brisbane comps for instance, how it morphed over the decades, so many clubs died, merged, till we have the current QLD Cup now and the teams there.

If the Super League had won in the 90s, for instance, just wore down the ARL over time and there wasn't a healing process.....today there'd be a genuine national RL comp, and at some point expanded to include Townsville, NZ, Wollongong, Central Coast. Fans of the Knights would've eventually adopted the Mariners, or the new generation of kids would have, for instance.

Have always thought the best way to creating a national comp was creating new Sydney clubs and having all those famous old clubs still exist in the NSWRL sub-tier only, to keep their histories. The breaking away of, the division of Sydney clubs, is what the problem with SL was. If they instead created four new Sydney clubs (north south, east, west) and left the others to the ARL, and then over time SL got richer stronger corporate backing, RL imo would've eventually been as strong as AFL...especially if they invested money into grassroots along the way, not just broken away to cause damage and eventually fold.

I know my stance is very controversial, and harsh, but I do believe it would've worked better in shifting long-term the masses of RL fans over to an appreciation for it, and disenfranchised fans eventually coming back because the love of the sport overrides...new star players to enthuse over, new rivalries, new histories being forged.

Because the alternative path is what happens now in both AFL and NRL, where the leagues have to start trying to force clubs to merge and lose their identities, or to die out, or to relocate against their wishes. And that will only keep causing tension, dismay, and worse the loss of famous old clubs -- who'd be better of being preserved in a local sub-tier state comp feeder league.

I would have gone down the route of:

Newtown Tigers (Balmain and Newtown merger, based out of Newtown).

Sent St George Illawarra down to Wollongong permanently as the Illawarra Dragons.

Bears to the Central Coast or Gold Coast.

Redcliffe and Ipswich brought in.

No NZ.

And yeah, dunno after that 🤷‍♂️

I wouldve just pushed all existing Sydney clubs to NSWRL. Created four totally new Sydney clubs (like Broncos were) to rep Sydney. All those NSWRL clubs feed talent and financial/fan support to the four new clubs. Then you can expand all over Australia gradually. In time, 10-20 years, new generations of Sydney people would adopt those new clubs as premier clubs to support like Broncos are now and not the state league qld clubs anymore. South Sydney and Fortitude Valley maintain their history in state leagues, don't die or merge out into irrelevance.

I would've set it up that 2-3 NSWRL teams own a single new Sydney club. They help fund it with their leagues clubs and such, and are feeder clubs to that premier club. Try get an equal amount of NSWRL teams backing each club.

Eg... St.G + Cronulla in NSWRL but fund the Sydney South Outlaws. Colors red blue black white

Eg...Manly + Norths in NSWRL but fund the Sydney North Riders. Colors burgundy black red white

Eg....Easts + Souths in NSWRL but fund the Sydney East Wolves. Colors red green blue white

Eg....Parra + Penrith in NSWRL but fund the Sydney West Snakes. Colors blue yellow black white

Canterbury, Balmain, Wests....maybe have to slot them in where most appropriate. Maybe a fifth Sydney team for those three.

Something like that I would've envisioned. At least that way you're tying existing fans of local clubs to a new club, so you don't completely ostracize them.

In time a Sydney East Wolves would've ended up a premier supported club like Brisbane Broncos is to SEQ rather than their original league clubs like Valleys, Wynnum etc before the advent of the Broncos

Or.....

Eg... St.G + Cronulla + Canterbury in NSWRL but fund the Sydney South Outlaws. Colors red blue black white

Eg...Manly + Norths + Balmain in NSWRL but fund the Sydney North Riders. Colors burgundy orange black white

Eg....Easts + Souths + Newtown in NSWRL but fund the Sydney East Wolves. Colors red green blue white

Eg....Parra + Penrith + Wests in NSWRL but fund the Sydney West Snakes. Colors blue yellow black white

Or.....

Eg... St.G + Cronulla + Canterbury in NSWRL but fund the Sydney South Outlaws. Colors red blue black white

Eg...Manly + Norths + Balmain in NSWRL but fund the Sydney North Riders. Colors burgundy orange black white

Eg....Easts + Souths + Newtown in NSWRL but fund the Sydney East Wolves. Colors red green blue white

Eg....Parra + Penrith + Wests in NSWRL but fund the Sydney West Snakes. Colors blue yellow black white
Originally, I was going to go with existing NSW clubs (i.e Parramatta) in creating my own version of how the NRL should have expanded nationally over time til the present era, but then decided against my current idea, given the ideas being presented in reduction of NSW teams explained on previous posts above on this.

As well as that, I was going to write a full essay on this topic and how the NRL should set out the player pathway from community to elite development but I decided against it as there would be too much information to cover and no-one really wants 5 pages worth of it. So basically this post was my opinion on how the NRL competition should have looked like, if it is was really a NATIONAL competition by heart.

If only all the NSW clubs were delegated into the NSW League and were replaced by 4 mega teams in the 80s, which covered the North, East, South & West of the whole NSW region and would have been controlled by the NSW teams before them (as mentioned before), it would have given Rugby League the opportunity to expand the professional competition nationally (and internationally) and improve crowd attendances/broadcasting revenue, while also growing the participation rates of people playing the sport as well in ALL states & territories of the country, through the different formats of the sporting code (rugby league, 7s, touch, oztag, etc) and therefore improve the on-field quality of the sport at the professional level.

As shown below, if the NRL correctly expanded in the right areas and increased development and participation rates of the sport in non-NRL states, the Rugby League landscape & competition could have looked really differently compared to what it is now and possibly rival the AFL in the Number 1 sporting competition in Australia:

Men's/Women's National Rugby League Competition (Model)
Adelaide Rams
(Est. 1997)
Auckland Warriors (Est. 1997)
Brisbane Broncos (Est. 1982)
Cairns Dolphins (Est. 2023)
Canberra Raiders (Est. 1982)
East Sydney Force (Est. 1980) (Merger of Easts/Newtown/Souths)
Gold Coast Titans (Est. 1987)
Illawarra-Wollongong Dragons (Est. 1980)
Ipswich Jets (Est. 2023)
Melbourne Storm (Est. 1992)
Newcastle-Central Coast Knights (Est. 1980)
North Sydney Wolves (Est. 1980) (Merger of Balmain/Manly/Norths)
Perth Mariners (Est. 1987)
South Sydney Outlaws (Est. 1980) (Merger of Canterbury/Cronulla/St. George)
Sunshine Coast Falcons (Est. 2007)
Townsville Cowboys (Est. 1992)
Wellington Orcas (Est. 2007)
West Sydney Pythons (Est. 1980) (Merger of Parramatta/Penrith/Wests)

By the start of the 2023 season, there would be 18 teams entering the competition in my model, with an even split of teams being based in NSW & QLD, a couple of teams located in NZ & surrounding regions and one team being created in ACT, SA, VIC & WA (with scope to expand to NT & TAS or furthermore in non-NRL states in Australia and NZ/Pacific Island cities in the future).

The regular season would last for 26 rounds, in which each team play 24 matches (12x home & 12x away) in a 19-5 spilt model (play each other once + 5 teams twice in even spread of travel time) + 2 byes throughout the season. After the regular season has concluded, the Top 10 go through to the finals with the Top 6 teams having a bye and (7 vs. 10) - (8 vs. 9) playing each other for 7th & 8th position in Week 1 of the finals, before the finals series continues as it has been in AFL & NRL circles as we known them today.

Regarding the Grand Final, the home team gets to host the match in their own state for the day. Although, that does not necessary mean that the home team gets to play at their home ground and might have to play at a bigger stadium in another city in the same state. For example, all the NSW teams would host the game at Stadium Australia in the CBD of Sydney (90,000) compared to their marquee home grounds and teams like Ipswich + Sunshine Coast would play at Suncorp Stadium in the CBD of Brisbane (65,000) over their main home ground (20,000-25,000) to boost GF ticket sales and revenue for the code while keeping that home ground advantage of the home team.

However, most teams would most likely be able to host the Grand Final at their own home ground, in the event of that opportunity occurring, as shown below with the GF stadium options and the spectator capacity limits associated with them:

2023 NRL Grand Final Stadium Options List
North/East/South/West NSW + Illawarra-Wollongong + Newcastle-Central Coast = Stadium Australia (90,000)
Brisbane + Ipswich + Sunshine Coast = Suncorp Stadium (65,000)
Auckland = Mount Smart Stadium (50,000)
Melbourne = AAMI Park (50,000)
Wellington = Sky Stadium (50,000)
Gold Coast = Cbus Super Stadium (45,000)
Perth = HBF Park (45,000)
Adelaide = New Adelaide Rectangular Stadium* (40,000)
Canberra = GIO Stadium (40,000)
Townsville = Queensland Country Bank Stadium (40,000)
Cairns = New Cairns Rectangular Stadium* (35,000)

* - New Stadiums

(Note - Seating capacity numbers are not the correct figures as of 2021/2022, however it should be noted that if the NSWRL did expand the competition correctly using the national footprint and prioritise participation & development of the sport in the past 40 years as such, the state governments & clubs would have had no issue in expanding their stadium's capacity more then they are currently have now throughout that period of time most likely, as a effect of being able to host a national sporting Grand Final and the sport growing as a result in my proposed model).

Originally, I was going to go with existing NSW clubs (i.e Parramatta) in creating my own version of how the NRL should have expanded nationally over time til the present era, but then decided against my current idea, given the ideas being presented in reduction of NSW teams explained on previous posts above on this.

As well as that, I was going to write a full essay on this topic and how the NRL should set out the player pathway from community to elite development but I decided against it as there would be too much information to cover and no-one really wants 5 pages worth of it. So basically this post was my opinion on how the NRL competition should have looked like, if it is was really a NATIONAL competition by heart.

If only all the NSW clubs were delegated into the NSW League and were replaced by 4 mega teams in the 80s, which covered the North, East, South & West of the whole NSW region and would have been controlled by the NSW teams before them (as mentioned before), it would have given Rugby League the opportunity to expand the professional competition nationally (and internationally) and improve crowd attendances/broadcasting revenue, while also growing the participation rates of people playing the sport as well in ALL states & territories of the country, through the different formats of the sporting code (rugby league, 7s, touch, oztag, etc) and therefore improve the on-field quality of the sport at the professional level.

As shown below, if the NRL correctly expanded in the right areas and increased development and participation rates of the sport in non-NRL states, the Rugby League landscape & competition could have looked really differently compared to what it is now and possibly rival the AFL in the Number 1 sporting competition in Australia:

Men's/Women's National Rugby League Competition (Model)
Adelaide Rams
(Est. 1997)
Auckland Warriors (Est. 1997)
Brisbane Broncos (Est. 1982)
Cairns Dolphins (Est. 2023)
Canberra Raiders (Est. 1982)
East Sydney Force (Est. 1980) (Merger of Easts/Newtown/Souths)
Gold Coast Titans (Est. 1987)
Illawarra-Wollongong Dragons (Est. 1980)
Ipswich Jets (Est. 2023)
Melbourne Storm (Est. 1992)
Newcastle-Central Coast Knights (Est. 1980)
North Sydney Wolves (Est. 1980) (Merger of Balmain/Manly/Norths)
Perth Mariners (Est. 1987)
South Sydney Outlaws (Est. 1980) (Merger of Canterbury/Cronulla/St. George)
Sunshine Coast Falcons (Est. 2007)
Townsville Cowboys (Est. 1992)
Wellington Orcas (Est. 2007)
West Sydney Pythons (Est. 1980) (Merger of Parramatta/Penrith/Wests)

By the start of the 2023 season, there would be 18 teams entering the competition in my model, with an even split of teams being based in NSW & QLD, a couple of teams located in NZ & surrounding regions and one team being created in ACT, SA, VIC & WA (with scope to expand to NT & TAS or furthermore in non-NRL states in Australia and NZ/Pacific Island cities in the future).

The regular season would last for 26 rounds, in which each team play 24 matches (12x home & 12x away) in a 19-5 spilt model (play each other once + 5 teams twice in even spread of travel time) + 2 byes throughout the season. After the regular season has concluded, the Top 10 go through to the finals with the Top 6 teams having a bye and (7 vs. 10) - (8 vs. 9) playing each other for 7th & 8th position in Week 1 of the finals, before the finals series continues as it has been in AFL & NRL circles as we known them today.

Regarding the Grand Final, the home team gets to host the match in their own state for the day. Although, that does not necessary mean that the home team gets to play at their home ground and might have to play at a bigger stadium in another city in the same state. For example, all the NSW teams would host the game at Stadium Australia in the CBD of Sydney (90,000) compared to their marquee home grounds and teams like Ipswich + Sunshine Coast would play at Suncorp Stadium in the CBD of Brisbane (65,000) over their main home ground (20,000-25,000) to boost GF ticket sales and revenue for the code while keeping that home ground advantage of the home team.

However, most teams would most likely be able to host the Grand Final at their own home ground, in the event of that opportunity occurring, as shown below with the GF stadium options and the spectator capacity limits associated with them:

2023 NRL Grand Final Stadium Options List
North/East/South/West NSW + Illawarra-Wollongong + Newcastle-Central Coast = Stadium Australia (90,000)
Brisbane + Ipswich + Sunshine Coast = Suncorp Stadium (65,000)
Auckland = Mount Smart Stadium (50,000)
Melbourne = AAMI Park (50,000)
Wellington = Sky Stadium (50,000)
Gold Coast = Cbus Super Stadium (45,000)
Perth = HBF Park (45,000)
Adelaide = New Adelaide Rectangular Stadium* (40,000)
Canberra = GIO Stadium (40,000)
Townsville = Queensland Country Bank Stadium (40,000)
Cairns = New Cairns Rectangular Stadium* (35,000)

* - New Stadiums

(Note - Seating capacity numbers are not the correct figures as of 2021/2022, however it should be noted that if the NSWRL did expand the competition correctly using the national footprint and prioritise participation & development of the sport in the past 40 years as such, the state governments & clubs would have had no issue in expanding their stadium's capacity more then they are currently have now throughout that period of time most likely, as a effect of being able to host a national sporting Grand Final and the sport growing as a result in my proposed model).
Reckon that would've worked. Very well set out by you. The important thing would have been to pump money into junior development around Australia, not just try to take over the ARL/NRL for broadcast rights and such. Pumping millions every year, for a sustained 20-30 years would be key because it takes a generation to acclimate the new young kids into the new lot of RL clubs on offer. Eventually the Pythons, Force, Outlaws and Wolves would've been the premier clubs in Sydney like the Broncos are today in Brisbane once that club was formed to represent Brisbane in a higher league. And of course, to ensure teams in Perth and Adelaide had a chance to root in those AFL dominant states. Just like it took the Swans 20-30 years to achieve a level of sustainability in Sydney. The same would be required of Perth and Adelaide, as we've seen of the Melbourne Storm to date. Vic/Wa/Sa to provide a return on such huge financial investment would need to see growing junior leagues in those states, and seeing more and more locals from those states make it to the NRL. To date, Victoria has barely provided any. It's gonna take more time. The AFL has done a better job of expanding junior participation in RL states like NSW and QLD. The NRL still needs to do more in that regard. That's the only obstacle to this grand plan of a streamlined national comp. Another factor that will help RL is that many AFL fans are turning away from the AFL, disenfranchised with the league, the play on the field, the administration, all the BS. Turning to other sports, so RL even now could still benefit from this. But if they'd done our grand plan 20 years ago, they'd have been better for it when this disenfranchised with AFL started happening. Not that they could've predicted it. But that's why you got to take risks, who dares wins. NRL has to stop sitting on its hands and being negative-minded about expansion west.

As for your other clubs....I really like what you've done. My ideal QLD set up is 2x Brisbane-based clubs, 1x Gold Coast, 1x Sunshine Coast/Moreton Bay, 1x Townsville, 1x Cairns. That's an ideal spread.

Newcastle+Gosford is a better regional grab, than trying to force the Sea Eagles to Gosford or to adopt Gosford.

I would've set it up that 2-3 NSWRL teams own a single new Sydney club. They help fund it with their leagues clubs and such, and are feeder clubs to that premier club. Try get an equal amount of NSWRL teams backing each club.

IMO that would've set a sound long term foundation.

St.G + Cronulla + Canterbury in NSWRL but fund the Sydney Stingers.

Manly + Norths + Balmain in NSWRL but fund the Sydney Ferrymen.

Easts + Souths + Newtown in NSWRL but fund the Sydney City.

Parra + Penrith + Wests in NSWRL but fund Macarthur.

Expansion is a term that has been on the lips of most Rugby League fans since the Dolphins bid to join the NRL was accepted back in October, with the NRL’s newest franchise slowly but surely building a solid side for their inaugural season in 2023

However, the attention of many has since turned to just who will be the NRL’s 18th franchise and where they will be based.

The Bears and Western Australia have already displayed intent to put in a bid, but the fast-approaching conclusion of Sky Sports’ television rights deal with the NRL in New Zealand has sparked speculation that a second team based in the home of the Kiwis could become a reality as early as 2024.

New Zealand based outlet Business Desk has revealed five outcomes that the NRL reportedly wants from the next television deal that they sign with a New Zealand based network that will commence in 2024, which includes more free-to-air games being broadcast in New Zealand, a Magic Round to be held across the Tasman and of course a second New Zealand based franchise in the NRL.

If these reports are true and the NRL’s wishes come to fruition, then this new New Zealand based franchise would enter the competition in 2024 and call either Christchurch or Wellington home.

The Daily Telegraph’s Dean Ritchie has since spoken out on the Big Sports Breakfast in response to Business Desk’s article casting doubts on New Zealand’s chances of having a second NRL team based in their country.

“It’s not something I’ve heard in Australia,” Ritchie said.

“I don’t know, the last time I checked the NRL hadn’t even approved an 18th franchise — we haven’t even got the 17th franchise on the field just yet.
“If it comes down to 18 (teams) I’m not suggesting that it shouldn’t be over there — I think it’s certainly got merit. The Bears are the ones I would like to see back in, Perth is another one that would be an option and Wellington and Christchurch.”

While nothing is for certain, the next television deal that the NRL signs with a New Zealand based network could be the determining factor as to where the NRL’s 18th franchise will be based.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure it would ever work. The new team would struggle for supporters and would need to be every bit as successful as the Storm to survive, which would be very difficult (obviously).
VIC/Melbourne has shown an ability across multiple codes to support multiple teams though. Melbourne City FC and SEM Phoenix are two recent examples.

Melbourne membership numbers stack up reasonably well, I reckon there's enough potential.

I don't think it's any more daring than an additional QLD/NSW AFL team for example.

Right now the NRL is expanding from Brisbane into a Peninsula 40mins away, basically a suburb of Brisbane.

Victoria is a 6.6million population state, there's opportunity there.

I can't see it happening any time soon, it's more of a hope than anything.

2021 NRL Membership Tracker​

Club Name202120202020201920182017
4 Sep14 JunFinalFinalFinalFinal
Parramatta32,37628,15628,15625,25825,14524,501
South Sydney30,79429,44529,67029,62629,18930,220
Melbourne27,50422,22125,41125,21125,10520,507
Canberra23,11219,03919,03920,12120,05519,091
Newcastle21,68518,86018,86020,66518,01713,370
Wests Tigers19,57717,91217,91220,73920,79418,074
Penrith19,08518,90618,90620,62720,47720,248
St Geo Illa18,17015,27215,27221,02821,19719,181
North Queensland17,43416,70916,70921,02923,43722,278
Sydney Roosters17,27415,21916,53016,38416,04416,001
Canterbury16,80915,17015,17018,34319,57018,833
Manly12,37512,88712,88712,44012,43013,163
Warriors6,491*12,67318,36610,76818,56618,190
BrisbaneN/S27,46327,46334,79336,42036,298
CronullaN/S9,76813,68015,82615,80215,613
Gold CoastN/S7,8367,8366,51710,74810,914

VIC/Melbourne has shown an ability across multiple codes to support multiple teams though. Melbourne City FC and SEM Phoenix are two recent examples.

Melbourne membership numbers stack up reasonably well, I reckon there's enough potential.

I don't think it's any more daring than an additional QLD/NSW AFL team for example.

Right now the NRL is expanding from Brisbane into a Peninsula 40mins away, basically a suburb of Brisbane.

Victoria is a 6.6million population state, there's opportunity there.

I can't see it happening any time soon, it's more of a hope than anything.

2021 NRL Membership Tracker​

Club Name202120202020201920182017
4 Sep14 JunFinalFinalFinalFinal
Parramatta32,37628,15628,15625,25825,14524,501
South Sydney30,79429,44529,67029,62629,18930,220
Melbourne27,50422,22125,41125,21125,10520,507
Canberra23,11219,03919,03920,12120,05519,091
Newcastle21,68518,86018,86020,66518,01713,370
Wests Tigers19,57717,91217,91220,73920,79418,074
Penrith19,08518,90618,90620,62720,47720,248
St Geo Illa18,17015,27215,27221,02821,19719,181
North Queensland17,43416,70916,70921,02923,43722,278
Sydney Roosters17,27415,21916,53016,38416,04416,001
Canterbury16,80915,17015,17018,34319,57018,833
Manly12,37512,88712,88712,44012,43013,163
Warriors6,491*12,67318,36610,76818,56618,190
BrisbaneN/S27,46327,46334,79336,42036,298
CronullaN/S9,76813,68015,82615,80215,613
Gold CoastN/S7,8367,8366,51710,74810,914
But that's kind of the point. Anyone that's a league fan in Melbourne already goes for the Storm. Any new team might get a few crossover from the Storm but I just don't see where the other fans come from.

I do totally get that they wouldn't necessarily do a whole lot worse than a Gold Coast/Cronulla but that doesn't seem reason enough to launch a new team.

I don't especially agree with the decision to expand into Redcliffe but it does make more sense to me than a 2nd Melbourne team.

But that's kind of the point. Anyone that's a league fan in Melbourne already goes for the Storm. Any new team might get a few crossover from the Storm but I just don't see where the other fans come from.

I do totally get that they wouldn't necessarily do a whole lot worse than a Gold Coast/Cronulla but that doesn't seem reason enough to launch a new team.

I don't especially agree with the decision to expand into Redcliffe but it does make more sense to me than a 2nd Melbourne team.
You could kind of argue that to be the case for any expansion team unless they go into a new distinct geographic area, such as Adelaide, Perth, Tassie.

I think Redcliffe Dolphins/Ipswich Jets will have some club fans that will come across, but still not sure they are growing the game. They are just taking some fans of Broncos and moving them to other teams.

Could they do something like a Geelong, Ballarat, Bendigo, South East Mornington Peninsula type club that plays a split of games between those areas and AAMI Park, alternating weeks with the Storm? Try and hit a new geographic area in a huge state market?

You could kind of argue that to be the case for any expansion team unless they go into a new distinct geographic area, such as Adelaide, Perth, Tassie.

I think Redcliffe Dolphins/Ipswich Jets will have some club fans that will come across, but still not sure they are growing the game. They are just taking some fans of Broncos and moving them to other teams.

Could they do something like a Geelong, Ballarat, Bendigo, South East Mornington Peninsula type club that plays a split of games between those areas and AAMI Park, alternating weeks with the Storm? Try and hit a new geographic area in a huge state market?
Perth is where I think expansion needs to go next - it solves the problem we’re referring to with fans and it really helps push the league into a more ‘National’ league.

Perth is where I think expansion needs to go next - it solves the problem we’re referring to with fans and it really helps push the league into a more ‘National’ league.
Reckon player attraction and retention would be the biggest challenge. Moreso than the AFL, big travel burden and most of their recruitment would be from the Eastern seaboard or NZ.

Reckon player attraction and retention would be the biggest challenge. Moreso than the AFL, big travel burden and most of their recruitment would be from the Eastern seaboard or NZ.
Yep, not unfair points. McGowan would have to be a consideration with all his border demands as well.

That aside, I do think Perth is a nice enough place to live and the sport science aspect generally looks after the big travel burden.

GG.exe and juss very clever ideas from you both. unfortunately the longer term expansion was clearly never part of the original competitions plans and its developed more like Sydneys road network.

FWIW i was in Redcliffe a couple of weeks ago and stopped in at their league club, bought myself a guernsey and walked around the ground for a bit.

I was born in QLD and supported the Broncos all my life but may very well take up an interstate membership for the dolphins...

Expansion is also about that city or regions juniors level of participation. Not just about memberships or corporate dollars. The region needs to be brimming with juniors to warrant expansion. After 20 years, Melbourne has poor junior league participation and almost zero homegrown juniors who became NRL players. The Swans in Sydney had more success in these regards. Still poor but better. QLD is heavily RL growth still, the AFL struggling to root there. Makes sense for the NRL to keep expanding thru Central QLD. The Dolphins are probably more about representing the Sunshine Coast region eventually, which is the fastest growing region in Australia.

Expansion is also about that city or regions juniors level of participation. Not just about memberships or corporate dollars. The region needs to be brimming with juniors to warrant expansion. After 20 years, Melbourne has poor junior league participation and almost zero homegrown juniors who became NRL players. The Swans in Sydney had more success in these regards. Still poor but better. QLD is heavily RL growth still, the AFL struggling to root there. Makes sense for the NRL to keep expanding thru Central QLD. The Dolphins are probably more about representing the Sunshine Coast region eventually, which is the fastest growing region in Australia.
Maroochydore (Sunshine Coast CBD) is fast growing hub too. Not sure if there are any reasonable stadiums/ potential for developing one in the region, but that would be ideal to push the Redcliffe Dolphins as having a presence there, try and really push them as that Coastal region team rather than just another Brisbane team. I know the University of Sunshine Coast has a Rugby/Rectangular field with a stand. Something like an upgrade to maybe hold 5-10,000 as a joint funding between the NRL, the Redcliffe Dolphins, the University and the state Government could be a great project for the region and create a sports team vibe on the Coast.

Could play home games split between Moreton Daily Stadium (Redcliffe) and the Sunshine Coast stadium. For teams flying in, they could fly directly to Maroochydore airport from anywhere.

Maroochydore (Sunshine Coast CBD) is fast growing hub too. Not sure if there are any reasonable stadiums/ potential for developing one in the region, but that would be ideal to push the Redcliffe Dolphins as having a presence there, try and really push them as that Coastal region team rather than just another Brisbane team. I know the University of Sunshine Coast has a Rugby/Rectangular field with a stand. Something like an upgrade to maybe hold 5-10,000 as a joint funding between the NRL, the Redcliffe Dolphins, the University and the state Government could be a great project for the region and create a sports team vibe on the Coast.

Could play home games split between Moreton Daily Stadium (Redcliffe) and the Sunshine Coast stadium. For teams flying in, they could fly directly to Maroochydore airport from anywhere.
I want them to rename to Maroochydore Dolphins. Maybe they eventually will. See SC as the eventual hub of the club, years down the track.

Dolphins tasked with corporate and sporting partnerships with the SC and CQ Capras already....so thats clearly the NRL plan....foster and develop that region for future expansion there (18th or 19th franchise)

I want them to rename to Maroochydore Dolphins. Maybe they eventually will. See SC as the eventual hub of the club, years down the track.

Dolphins tasked with corporate and sporting partnerships with the SC and CQ Capras already....so thats clearly the NRL plan....foster and develop that region for future expansion there (18th or 19th franchise)
You'd think it'd save hassle and start building a brand by starting off as the Sunshine Coast Dolphins or Maroochydore Dolphins thought wouldn't it?

Although maybe the plan is to try and best leverage the existing Redcliffe Dolphins fans and infrastructure.

You'd think it'd save hassle and start building a brand by starting off as the Sunshine Coast Dolphins or Maroochydore Dolphins thought wouldn't it?

Although maybe the plan is to try and best leverage the existing Redcliffe Dolphins fans and infrastructure.
I reckon "The" was deliberately chosen for that reason. It's a bridge name, as a bridge is being built, will take time. There's no infrastructure in SC yet, all in Redcliffe. Build up fanbase in SC, have them travel down to MB for home games, eventually govt funded stadium in SC. NRL Dolphins HQ abd stadium there, sister entity QLD Cup HQ and stadium in Redcliffe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back