nrl grand finals

Remove this Banner Ad

As someone who watched both Grand Finals in their entirety, this is demonstrably false.

Maybe you think differently because of your club allegiance, but as someone with no ties to any of the four clubs involved, I can tell you the NRL GF was a far better spectacle in terms of atmosphere from fans, passion from players and the general event feel.
Funny, when I switched, as the game ended, I didn't see the wild celebrations from the winning side, like a saw from the Tiger Players. The commentators even interviewed some of the losing players who seemed to show a lot more composure, and quite a few less tears, than their AFL counterparts the week before.
As for the crowd reaction at the end, well 100,014 odd Richmond supporters made a hell of a lot bigger roar than what occurred up in Sydney. So, despite the "closeness" of the contest, the NRL had nowhere near the atmosphere that the AFL grand final had the week before, despite the lack of fight shown by the GWS.

Funny, when I switched, as the game ended, I didn't see the wild celebrations from the winning side, like a saw from the Tiger Players. The commentators even interviewed some of the losing players who seemed to show a lot more composure, and quite a few less tears, than their AFL counterparts the week before.
As for the crowd reaction at the end, well 100,014 odd Richmond supporters made a hell of a lot bigger roar than what occurred up in Sydney. So, despite the "closeness" of the contest, the NRL had nowhere near the atmosphere that the AFL grand final had the week before, despite the lack of fight shown by the GWS.
Comparing just the fulltime reaction of a single year for each code seems a pretty mundane and petty way to draw a comparison.

the afl treat runners ups as a disgrace

Well...they are, they lost.

What are we in primary school where everyone gets a sticker.

Ask the losers if they would even want to be presented with a medal...no way.

Back to the NRL Grand Final. Yes they are a smart, they do it at night.

one nice thing about the NRL granny is that real fans have the opportunity to go. adult tickets start at about $80 and are available to the public.

not nearly as many cucks in suits as the AFL
That's because nobody wants to go.
If anyone could get AFL GF tickets for $80, you'd have demand well over the capacity of the stadium, maybe over twice the capacity. That's just poor business.

yes, let's just scrap the 150 years of Aussie rules history for the sake of copying other sporting codes.

I thought it was pure hyperbole what experts warned of social media dictating our lives but I'm starting to think they may be right.

It's bad enough they make the losing team sit there like idiots while the other team get there medals. Let them shake hands at the end of the game and have the losing team go back into the change rooms.
Pretty sure they are not made to do anything.
It's a show of respect to the opposition to stay out there.

yes, let's just scrap the 150 years of Aussie rules history for the sake of copying other sporting codes.

I thought it was pure hyperbole what experts warned of social media dictating our lives but I'm starting to think they may be right.
Sporting codes always take what they think are the best bits from other sports. Always have always will Its called progress.
If you stand still you die.
We took the playing on a Oval from Cricket. Our shaped ball we took from Rugby.
There were Cricket umpires before there were AF umpires.
Remember Tom Wills went to Rugby school in England where he played Cricket and Rugby. See the connection?

If anyone could get AFL GF tickets for $80, you'd have demand well over the capacity of the stadium, maybe over twice the capacity. That's just poor business.
Similar to the AFL Grand Final, the crowd has always been at 95%+ capacity of the stadium for decades. But don't let facts get in the way of #codewarz...

Similar to the AFL Grand Final, the crowd has always been at 95%+ capacity of the stadium for decades. But don't let facts get in the way of #codewarz...

There's little similarity. The AFL Grand Final is an event on such a scale that it is extremely difficult and often expensive to attend for ordinary supporters, the NRL Grand Final they pedal the tickets all week to all and sundry in order to sort of, hopefully fill the stadium. There's a huge difference.

There should be an age limit for threads on the main board to stop hot garbage like this.

it still sells out by game day, but it's nowhere near as corporate. i don't really care about the afl maximising profit, I'd rather a stadium full of fans than grey haired campaigners in suits

And that's the thing, the reason why you could have gotten a ticket to the NRL GF (right up to the Friday night before the NRL GF they were advertising tickets on TV in Melbourne) so easily, and that the Tickets to the AFL GF sold out in seconds flat, is that the AFL GF is by far the premier event on the sporting calendar.
I switched over to the NRL grand final, which happend to be right at the end of the match. I gotta say but the lack of both atmosphere from the fans, and passion from the players was remarkable. Especially in its contrast to the AFL Grand Final the week before. The NRL seemed like a normal home and home and away match in comparison.

I've been to a few grannys of each and I've found the crowds to be quite similar, although the MCG is obviously bigger and echoes sound more. Aussie crowds are horrendously tame compared to even lowly div 3 english or german soccer crowds. Aussies hardly ever chant (even then it's only the most basic short lived chant), they sit down for the whole game (apart from standing up for the odd goal), they go quiet as hell when their team is losing, and they love to leave early to "beat the traffic".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's little similarity. The AFL Grand Final is an event on such a scale that it is extremely difficult and often expensive to attend for ordinary supporters, the NRL Grand Final they pedal the tickets all week to all and sundry in order to sort of, hopefully fill the stadium. There's a huge difference.
This is literally the opposite of what the majority of footy fans think.

Most fans I know are stunned and pleased that the NRL GF is filled with 75%+ fans of the clubs, whereas the AFL GF is a corporate event.

It's all well and good to say the AFL GF is a premium exclusive expensive event but if that freezes out the average fan then is that really a good thing?

I've been to a few grannys of each and I've found the crowds to be quite similar, although the MCG is obviously bigger and echoes sound more. Aussie crowds are horrendously tame compared to even lowly div 3 english or german soccer crowds. Aussies hardly ever chant (even then it's only the most basic short lived chant), they sit down for the whole game (apart from standing up for the odd goal), they go quiet as hell when their team is losing, and they love to leave early to "beat the traffic".
Thats probably because, unlike in Soccer, there is normally action happening on the field in Footy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back