The Hippie

Club Legend
Jun 18, 2001
Temora, N.S.W.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Temora Roos
If you don't like it, p1ss off and let some of us that actually do enjoy the game talk about it. Some of us have a life where we can appreciate all sports, not just AFL. :mad:

(Shock, horror, shout some of the more infantile, closed-minded idiots) :rolleyes:

B

Briedis

Originally posted by Carltonboy56
I hate NRL, its pathetic, weak and sissy. Afl is a mans game!

SISSY? :confused:

That comment shows what an absolute IDIOT you are....

Ms.Storm

Premiership Player
Dec 29, 2000
The GraveYard Olympic Park.Melb.
Other Teams
Melb. Storm
CarltonBoy....you are a loser...

But I am sure you are just a real young kid, who likes having a stir, so please don't visit here again because we all love our different sports (unfortunately many Victorians still fall into this category.!!!!:p )

Smart Alec isn't he;)

I honestly think that the lack of exposure of rugby/rugby league/soccer on free-to-air tv is a cause of this sort of ill-feeling towards different footy codes in Victoria.

Ch.7 and Ch.9 here in Melb. have tended not to telecast live the games (e.g. soccer/rugby league/union) for which they hold a contract.

From this, comes ignorance on the part of many kids, who grow up to become unknowledgeable about other footy codes and just bag the hell out of them, because they are only used to Aussie Rules and cricket.

Also at fault here in Melbourne, is the afl admin. because they would prefer it this way. (I am absolutely sure they have some sort of influence on the press and media here in Melb.) I get this impression by speaking to some execs. at Ch.9 and some radio stations.

Do you guys agree.?

B

Briedis

Yeah...I'd agree with that. I used to cop heaps of S H I T up here in Sydney for following Aussie Rules, but during the last 5 years that seems to have stopped. I think mainly because a lot of people have stopped following league in Sydney (no team:( ) and the increase in support of the Swans (finally :eek: ;) ) has meant more people have been willing to watch AFL up here.

Ms.Storm

Premiership Player
Dec 29, 2000
Other Teams
Melb. Storm
At last someone on Big Footy understands..

Thanks Briedis (and Hippie and a couple of others).....I guess we are idealists and not everyone is going to agree with us.

I also listen to 2ue and 2gb (and 4bc in Brsibane) on the web quite a bit and can really notice the difference with their attitude towards afl......the same does not happen here in Melbourne...its ONLY AFL......its particularly bad during the footy season.....the abc and 3aw only give out the nrl scores at the end of the game or in news summary, with 3aw having a little on the Storm (and only because the Storm pay for the priveledge!!)

I get so angry about this and quite a few times have called in to 3aw to complain........they kept me on hold to listen to the rest of the programme....:(

The only times they mention nrl is when Hopoate was in trouble with his finger "tactics" and when the Northern Eagles were in trouble. 3aw delight in bringing down rugby league...I think Gerard Healy is the main culprit there as he may have copped a bit when in Sydney from the Rugby League people:p

I am just hoping the media/radio change their attitudes towards the rugby codes and soccer here in Melb.....but I bet it won;t happen .... ideally we should get more of an even spread of footy here in Melbourne and its definately not the case.

I am hoping that Storm stick around and eventually Victorians will get used to having a rugby league presence and finally accept it and take the 2 codes (and soccer) more to heart, because they games are all so different and unique in their own way.

One day PERHAPS:(

Cheers:D

B

Briedis

I used to think that about Sydney, that AFL would never get accepted up here. Only 5 years ago, they used to rubbish aussie rules on 2UE etc, but Plugger really did change all that by associating with the league boys and getting himself a high-profile up here. The Swans marketing Dept. would really miss having plugger.

The problem league has is it's players (a generalisation, but it only takes a few bad eggs - and there are quite a few) consistently get bad publicity because of their behaviour (the Newcastle drug-cheats, O'Neils hotel stay, Hopoates fingers etc). Until they get their act together and behave like humans, it will be hard for Melburnians to accept league.

Ms.Storm

Premiership Player
Dec 29, 2000
Other Teams
Melb. Storm
Briedis....

Just something...
I know a couple of the League guys, like Hopoate, probably haven't help rugby league's cause, but living here in Melbourne, I find many of the afl players have been in trouble too. The afl and their clubs are good at diffusing their deeds!!

For instance the guys accussed of raping a girl recently got off the charge and now the girl is actually coming out and telling the story....
There are many more afl players in trouble than rugby league players as far as misdemeanours are concerned, but you probably don't hear about it in Sydney and its not really highlighted so much. (One very recent one with Carlton players at the Dry Cleaners a couple of weeks ago , drunk and threatening a lady!!)

Briedis, I think you and Sydney people might be surprised at how much trouble the afl guys get into.!!

I think the afl likes to highlight the trouble the rugby guys get into because of the rivalry between the 2 codes.:p

This is not the reason why Melbournians won't accept rugby league, as you say...its far deeper and I have discussed it before...it all boils down to protection of afl in this town....BOTTOM LINE.:confused:

The Hippie

Club Legend
Jun 18, 2001
Temora, N.S.W.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Temora Roos
As you say, WHO CARES what you think. It's quality not quantity here, big nose.

(By the way, thanks for helping boost the post tally with your rants) :rolleyes: :D

Ms.Storm

Premiership Player
Dec 29, 2000
Other Teams
Melb. Storm
Carlton for Premier...

1. They were always going to be low count posts because afterall this is an AFL Message Board with an NRL additional MB for people who may also enjoy that game....unfortunately not too many afl people are into rugby league.......but that's another story we have debated on here if you care to look Carlton.....perhaps afl people could start taking an interests in other footy codes as well and stop living in their own little world (I say this tongue in cheek as I love my afl too, but I also love rugby league and union and soccer too).

2. Perhaps someone should add this site as a link for rugby league sites where we would have more hits, as I am sure that all the rugby league world isn not aware it exists, smarty pants:eek:

3. As the Hippies said, stay away if you don't like League, or better still, get to learn more about the game and JOIN IN WITH US......its a great game.....and for Victorians (me being one) I know rugby league takes a little getting used to, but when you do, you fall hook, line and sinker.:p

4. It is the off-season, after all, so debate on a lot of footy sites has fallen off a great deal, even on the main board.

5. LEAVE US ALONE, OR join in.

Cheers.

Back