NRL NRL Round 1 discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

May 3, 2003
Warriorville
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NZ Warriors, Wallan FNC
Thank goodness that's over and we can get on with the footy.

A huge season for some sides with question marks hanging over many of them.

How will the Storm go without Slater? Will the loss of Shaun Johnson consign the Warriors to the bottom of the ladder as many doom merchants are predicting? Can the Roosters go back to back? The certainly look like early favourites. Will the salary cap pressures and subsequent loss of players impact Cronulla? Will we see crowds rise or fall after the off season blues? Tv ratings?

So much uncertainty, yet there's no doubt the game becomes stronger in the face of adversity. This is going to be a huge year for the game. Matt Cecchin is back after the removal of Archer and the promise of a more free flowing game. Let's hope so.

Round 1 obviously won't tell us a lot, but it will give a hint to what may lay ahead for some teams. Melbourne and Brisbane kick it off on Thursday night and what a tough start for the home side. They've been far from impressive in trial games, but become a different side when the whips get cracking. With all that, I'm predicting a good win for the Broncos.

The controversial double header is back on Friday night and first up Newcastle host Cronulla. One winner at 6pm on Friday's was the Knights and I think this will be another win on two fronts. The result and the crowd. The Roosters and Souths go head to head at the SCG and I think the Rosters will put on a bit of a shw and win this going away.

Super Saturday kicks off with the Warriors playing the Bulldogs and it should be close. I've like the way the Warriors have defended in trials and I think the home advantage will be the difference here. Leichhardt Oval should be pumping when the Tigers play Manly. While I thought the Tigers were poor against the Warriors, I expect them to win this one. Finally Nth Queensland play the under fire Dragons and I can't help but think the off field dramas will hurt them here.

Two other teams under heavy fire this off season clash at Penrith when the host the Eels. I would not be surprised if this was our first GP game for 2019. Penrith in a very close on. Later that night the Titans and Raiders get it on and it's the Raiders for me.

Hopefully round 1 goes off without a hitch and the focus is on the games rather than any off field dramas.

If you haven't joined our tipping comp and even if you're just a casual reader of the forum, jump in and have a go against us experts.

Good luck to all the teams this weekend.

Last edited:
May 3, 2003
Warriorville
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NZ Warriors, Wallan FNC
Link

NRL legend Billy Slater has been immortalised with the renaming of the Northern Stand at AAMI Park for all future Melbourne Storm games.
Slater is the first Storm player to get such an honour at the rectangular stadium.

Former Storm icons Tawera Nikau and Marcus Bai had sections of Olympic Park named after them previously.

megatiger

Cancelled
Mar 9, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Round 1 guesses

storm d broncos by 6-8

knights d sharks by 2

roosters d rabbits by 6-10

tigers d sea eagles by 4

cowboys d dragons by 2

panthers d eels by 12

titans d raiders by 6

going with the home teams as for me its totally unpredictable at the moment

Round 1 tips

I think the Broncos will pull a surprise tonight and beat the Storm by 10.

Knights over Cronulla by 6

Roosters will start the season slow again. Rabbitohs by 12

Warriors over the Dogs.

Tigers to beat Manly comfortably

Hardest game of the round to predict is Cowboys and Dragons. I'll go the Cowboys in a narrow one.

Penright over Eels by 16

Raiders to spring a surprise and upset the Titans

Round 1 tips

I think the Broncos will pull a surprise tonight and beat the Storm by 10.
Never known you to be so negative about a team you follow.
Storm hasn’t lost a home round 1 game 2001.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back